Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

4 minutes ago, MJOatleast7 said:

I'm wondering about the Nina-esque performance of the Pacific so far, particularly the W Pac. It seems that unless that firehose jet changes in a big way, we're in as much of a 2011-12 situation as if there were a one-eyed pig over AK.

Specifically, the ridiculous persistence of a 210+ kt jet over the western Pacific colocated with that huge wedge of warm SSTs from China to N of Hawaii. There's always a chicken-and-egg question about SSTs driving or being driven by atmospheric circulation, but are they coupled with/ reinforcing each other and drowning out every other signal in the atmosphere?

I almost wonder if folks have been sort of looking at ENSO from the wrong direction - speaking of chicken and egg metaphor. 

It's QBO ... I suspect.  I do think that something might be suppressing convection somewhere ... but, that means that oceanic-atmospheric coupled physical state may be less effective at transferring heat from SST to air... Heat accumulates and could be partial in forcing a warm state given time... 

10 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Sounds like he's hedging a bit. Im not surprised. As we keep missing out on snowstorms, sooner or later it becomes more than just bad luck.

If everything turns out to be a bust then it may be the biggest blunder since at least 01/02, and remember that modeling was far less advanced back then. 

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

If everything turns out to be a bust then it may be the biggest blunder since at least 01/02, and remember that modeling was far less advanced back then. 

Funny thing is... I remember a lot of bad winter calls in autumn.  Ha, one case in point, The Farmer's Almanac.  

anyway, not including that one.  But then this idea started convincingly abasing those calls given time...  

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Funny thing is... I remember a lot of bad winter calls in autumn.  Ha, one case in point, The Farmer's Almanac.  

anyway, not including that one.  But then this idea started convincingly abasing those calls given time...  

Indeed there were a few early calls of a dud winter. Not sure who initially started the epic winter train but everyone jumped on board after that. Why the hell not?..lol

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Pats pull it off this weekend and KC pukes all over themselves and next weekend would be no "luck" for Indy.

I got a ton of money on KC to cover in that game.  Seems they’re giving Indy a bit too much respect at just 5 or 6 and the bad weather may not help them either 

• Thanks 1

Isotherm is right, and a few of us have been saying that. The Pacific, mostly due to the MJO, has acted a bit more nina  like.  We have had forcing near 135E, 850 MB easterlies, all which really go against Nino.  Maybe I’m wrong, but I feel and have heard that it should change later this month into February. 

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I got a ton of money on KC to cover in that game.  Seems they’re giving Indy a bit too much respect at just 5 or 6 and the bad weather may not help them either 

I can see both teams having issues, It looks like a few inches of snow overnight into Saturday and low 30's.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Isotherm is right, and a few of us have been saying that. The Pacific, mostly due to the MJO, has acted a bit more nina  like.  We have had forcing near 135E, 850 MB easterlies, all which really go against Nino.  Maybe I’m wrong, but I feel and have heard that it should change later this month into February. 

image.thumb.png.49b370825960c7571da7eb8526b783c7.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

What lat/long (and models of choice) does one typically look at for 850 wind anomalies. If it's equatorial, Seems they're worsening on the GFS but getting better on the Euro

5 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Bad weather is better for the colts, they have the more complete team. -5 is a too good to be true line...give me colts +5 for 500 Alex. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

See ...that's where y'all lose me.  I disagree 

Or, let me put it this way ... someone convince me otherwise.  The MJO has been fighting to penetrate a phase 8 wave the whole way, and the fact that it is terminating directly at the COD is also another signature of wave interference there.   The MJO's latent heat fluxing is not as effectively entering the mid latitude due suppression damping from negative interference.  Which means it's ability to do any modulation is also hindered by super-synoptic negative.  Frankly... if the WPO is positive for other reasons...good luck getting the wave to modulate as much out of the marine continent. 

You're statement that I've bold implies the MJO controls the pattern ... It's a pattern enhancer - be it positive or negative... But maybe that's what you meant?  

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Bad weather is better for the colts, they have the more complete team. -5 is a too good to be true line...give me colts +5 for 500 Alex. 

Odds are nobody in the AFC is winning the SB anyway.  New England would give me some belief if they had to go through KC but if they get two cupcake teams at home they’ll get smoked by just about anybody coming out of the NFC.  This is by far the worst they’ve looked to me over 16 games since 2008.   Then again the Pats have fared oddly in SBs mostly winning games they deserved to lose and losing games they were largely the better team 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Odds are nobody in the AFC is winning the SB anyway.  New England would give me some belief if they had to go through KC but if they get two cupcake teams at home they’ll get smoked by just about anybody coming out of the NFC.  This is by far the worst they’ve looked to me over 16 games since 2008.   Then again the Pats have fared oddly in SBs mostly winning games they deserved to lose and losing games they were largely the better team 

I don't consider SD being a cup cake and would feel the same if it was Indy as well, The cupcakes lost there frosting last weekend.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

See ...that's where y'all lose me.  I disagree 

Or, let me put it this way ... someone convince me otherwise.  The MJO has been fighting to penetrate a phase 8 wave the whole way, and the fact that it is terminating directly at the COD is also another signature of wave interference there.   The MJO's latent heat fluxing is not as effectively entering the mid latitude due suppression damping from negative interference.  

You're statement that I've bold implies the MJO controls the pattern ... It's a pattern enhancer - be it positive or negative... But maybe that's what you meant?  

I can’t do this right now, but I posted a couple of days back a chart that showed the enhanced forcing me MJO  in Indonesia.  There is no question to me anyways that it influenced the pattern. You had 850 mbar easterlies convergence in Indonesia, divergence aloft over Indonesia, lots of convection there, and enhanced pacific jet.  This worked  constructively, , with the big low we had in Alaska. 

Now as we hEad Deeper into the season, wave lengths change, a much weaker MJ O wave, and the effects should not nearly be anything close to what we had in December.This also looks to move east and hopefully be more constructive with Nino.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I can’t do this right now, but I posted a couple of days back a chart that showed the enhanced forcing me MJO  in Indonesia.  There is no question to me anyways that it influenced the pattern. You had 850 mbar easterlies convergence in Indonesia, divergence aloft over Indonesia, lots of convection there, and enhanced pacific jet.  This worked  constructively, , with the big low we had in Alaska. 

Now as we hEad Deeper into the season, wave lengths change, a much weaker MJ O wave, and the effects should not nearly be anything close to what we had in December.This also looks to move east and hopefully be more constructive with Nino.

Influenced?  okay ...no problem...   "mostly due to the MJO.."  Mm... I don't like that..  I think if anything the Pacific should have gotten better from a phase 8 present and the fact that it didn't improve .... that markedly, is a flag of less than mostly.  

That's all -

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic