Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

7 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Once it gets closer we can always re-adjust and push for a snowy weekend the week after...rinse and repeat until there are no more snow chances left this season.

lol....that's certainly what it has been like since Nov 15th.   You would think at some point it would change a bit???  But this may just be the winter of things going wrong...If it's not a Scooter Shit Streak, it's the PV, or next we get Blocking that's too strong....and all within a good pattern.  We've seen this before, where it's always something that screws the pooch????    Hopefully this isn't one of those types of winters all the way through...otherwise known as El Rattter.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I edited that....didn't mean to be jerk.

My bad.

NP. Didn't take it that way.

Anyway, a flatter pattern can work just fine with decent cold air to the north -- those storms are usually pretty easy to forecast a few days out. Less angst over coastal development timing, blocking, minute track adjustments, etc.

13 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What’s Jan 17th one?

It's a weaker impulse in the flow...I wouldn't expect it to be big if it happened, but it's one of those that could turn into a 1-3/3-5 type event.

Here's what it looked like on the 00z Euro at 500mb

Jan10_00zEuro162.png

Sorry to interrupt, but I recently bought a Ambient Weather WS-2092A, and was wondering where and how to mount it somewhere where results would be most valid. I unfortunately have probably the worst house on the street in terms of "open area". Currently have it mounted on the roof, but I'm getting readings of 5-12 mph when its consistently blowing 20-25 gusting to 30. Any ideas?

This is probably the worst ever at verifying anything beyond D6 in the models.  This is vastly beyond the usual uncertainty and failure to do so at those sort of time ranges. The worst I've witnessed in the 25 years I've been privy to weather technology... Not sure I'm seeing any reason why that should suddenly improve.  

In the meantime... I'm hoping the -30 C 850 MB plume over western Ontario at 216 hours comes squarely over the Great Lakes - just to see what happens. 

2 minutes ago, CarLover014 said:

Sorry to interrupt, but I recently bought a Ambient Weather WS-2092A, and was wondering where and how to mount it somewhere where results would be most valid. I unfortunately have probably the worst house on the street in terms of "open area". Currently have it mounted on the roof, but I'm getting readings of 5-12 mph when its consistently blowing 20-25 gusting to 30. Any ideas?

I have the 2000.....honestly, the wind readings are usually fraud data, anyway...just worry about the temp, which is best off of the roof and way from bldgs.

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This is probably the worst ever at verifying anything beyond D6 in the models.  This is vastly beyond the usual uncertainty and failure to do so at those sort of time ranges. The worst I've witnessed in the 25 years I've been privy to weather technology...

In the meantime... I'm hoping the -30 C 850 MB plume over western Ontario at 216 hours comes squarely over the Great Lakes - just to see what happens. 

It would probably mean sunny and miserable here, and epic lake snows.

Pass.

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic