Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

5 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

To be honest, I care a bit less than usual what models show at day 3-7. In this pattern of fast zonal flow from mid pacific to W Atlantic and with split flow component you can with decent likelihood wait for the models to trend “ to the likely outcome such a pattern produces” no phasing , elongated , strung out. There are exceptions possible but those are just those . I don’t necessarily even care what the models show now at 12z or 0z tonite , can’t recall a pattern where this was this much the case 

If I can figure this out , most posters should be able to lol.

Weenies ...The models will trend toward the fast zonal flow of the pattern (which is awful for storms) take day 5-7 phasers w a grain of salt ...until the flow slows down prepare to have “bad luck “

Totally agree about fast zonal flow generally mitigating threats, and looking at H5 you'd think this has more likelihood of trending progressive or sheared if anything.

Most on here don't take these D6 tracks literally or with any strong confidence. 

But a strong vort max can itself buckle the flow. And seeing this signal on multiple runs of all the main globals (Euro, GFS, GGEM) gets my attention. I have little confidence in track, but I think this is the most promising signal we've had for a storm so far this season, whether it is OTS or not.

Personally I'll be at a conference in CA next weekend, but I'm rooting for our hood (as well as a little playoff snow magic of yore).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Every day they’re coming in better and more leftward 

I've noticed this over the last several days actually... That 'curl' of the curve and concomitant data poinst turning inwards keeps unfolding.  It's interesting why it may be doing that? There have been times where the ends of the curve is splayed with mop ended members and a mean that ends in free space ... but this hole "fight" has been a tooth puller trying to get that curve to "admit" to phase 8... 

being kichy there but you know what I mean  

Is also argue the flow is more relaxed by d5-6. Remember the image I posted to Tip that showed how our geopotential gradient looked much more relaxed and "El Ninoish" down south? It still holds true. 

This isn't exactly a screaming flow...

IMG_2298.GIF

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Is also argue the flow is more relaxed by d5-6. Remember the image I posted to Tip that showed how our geopotential gradient looked much more relaxed and "El Ninoish" down south? It still holds true. 

IMG_2298.GIF

Rock-on brotha  ... 

Much more conducive to conserving mechanical strength --> cyclogenesis fertility.  That's one... but, it allows the whole bag of tricks to get deeper in latitude, too. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

IMG_2298.GIF

Its definitely changing, but not sure it will be enough, and even if it is...doesn't mean we phase.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

IMG_2298.GIF

Great point.   This would be good if it actually verified like what this shows...definitely would help our cause.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

IMG_2298.GIF

If you can undercut that ridge, you've effectively cut off the PAC.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Its definitely changing, but not sure it will be enough, and event if it is...doesn't mean we phase.

It would be foolish to call for a phase this far out. Any given system that is 6 days out should be met with some skepticism. 

My only argument is that some of the same factors that were inhibiting us in the past 4 weeks are no longer present or rapidly weakening. I know you specifically aren't arguing this, but those that are using past failure in this case aren't really analyzing the differences. 

My main "problem" with this event is that the longwave ridge is kind of far east. It's over like Montana which doesn't give a ton of room to amplify. It can be done for sure (hell, Jan 2005 did it with ridge like over western dakotas) but you definitely risk more seaward solutions than amped with that ridge placement. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I've noticed this over the last several days actually... That 'curl' of the curve and concomitant data poinst turning inwards keeps unfolding.  It's interesting why it may be doing that? There have been times where the ends of the curve is splayed with mop ended members and a mean that ends in free space ... but this hole "fight" has been a tooth puller trying to get that curve to "admit" to phase 8... 

being kichy there but you know what I mean  

Maybe we can unfold it all the way right back into 2 and 3.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

I think my dark sarcasm went over your head.

Sure did ... :) 

Just the same  .. we talk about the MJO but for me (anywho) it's always just an augmenter - not a pattern drive. I'm only tacitly concerned when it enters three during a -WPO for example.  In those circumstances it could just get squashed and the N. Pac dominates either way.  Or...it's entering 8 robustly with a -WPO?  Look out -

34 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It would be foolish to call for a phase this far out. Any given system that is 6 days out should be met with some skepticism. 

My only argument is that some of the same factors that were inhibiting us in the past 4 weeks are no longer present or rapidly weakening. I know you specifically aren't arguing this, but those that are using past failure in this case aren't really analyzing the differences. 

My main "problem" with this event is that the longwave ridge is kind of far east. It's over like Montana which doesn't give a ton of room to amplify. It can be done for sure (hell, Jan 2005 did it with ridge like over western dakotas) but you definitely risk more seaward solutions than amped with that ridge placement. 

Exactly.

Totally fair assessment.

• Like 1

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic