Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Wow.  Euro was just a straight like 2-day lashing.  

IMG_1744.thumb.PNG.5ae445d235d11feffbae29eea2e9e2db.PNG

I might need to suck it up and head up to Pit2 for a while this month--that looks like a fine place to be for winter weather beginning with the several inches they're picking up today.

Close to .5" here.  Radar suggests that that might be all I can muster--congrats north of here.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That’s a cave if it’s 70/30. EPS didn’t really budge. Maybe slightly better at end.

I saw this posted on twitter, it's off the 12z eps but may be a reason why the eps look like poo in the 10-15 day. Looks like after a short visit in phase 8 around jan 9th they re-ignite tropical forcing in the IO then go back towards that standing wave look in phase 5 that was so persistent in the back half of December

8C92293F-5564-4980-82E5-B5DD1097D278.png.65bd4070b6f252be44bcc0054ee0eb23.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

I saw this posted on twitter, it's off the 12z eps but may be a reason why the eps look like poo in the 10-15 day. Looks like after a short visit in phase 8 around jan 9th they re-ignite tropical forcing in the IO then go back towards that standing wave look in phase 5 that was so persistent in the back half of December

8C92293F-5564-4980-82E5-B5DD1097D278.png.65bd4070b6f252be44bcc0054ee0eb23.png

Yeah saw that. That probably would not be good.

7 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

GFS is pretty amped this run...so I don't think it's any specific trend.

Even GFS is frigid at surface for a long while despite it's excessive warm bias in the low levels...the high means business.

Reminds me of the November storm but more cold since it's later in the season.

11 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Prob 2FT. Everyone from NYC to HFD cashed in with 20+. In a bad pattern and a bad winter, we was lucky.

That was a big have/have not storm, you had to be right in the middle of that great band to get the historic amounts.  Just 25 miles east of NYC here we only had 13" because we were in the subsidence.

Jan 2016 was FAR superior to that (32 inches here!) and more reminiscent of the great Feb 1983 el nino snowstorm.

15 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That event was decent....had like 16", but I was jealous. I didn't understand mid level dynamics then, and just kept waiting for the NYC and HFD death band to translate ne lol

Yeah isn't everything supposed to move west to east lol?  It was a decent snowstorm but not historic, Jan 2016 deservedly holds that title around this area as it broke every previous record and was my one and only 30"+ snowstorm and the coverage of heaviest snows was far wider than the storm you guys have been talking about.  Much more like Feb 1983 in that respect and the "storms of yore."

There are only a few snowstorms I would put in that elite class that I remember experiencing- Feb 1983, Jan 1996, Feb 2003 and now Jan 2016.

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic