Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

47 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I guess I dont have Wills memory. I do remember a couple good storms around that time. The bomb that dropped 20 inches while we slept was one.

Was that the storm that was forecasted 7-10 and we got 20+? Somw reason I thought it was a Mar storm. I remember waking up at 2am we had close 8" and it must have showed 3-4" an hr for the next 3 hrs and waking saying WTF did all that come from!

7 hours ago, codfishsnowman said:

In the past 17 pages I was most impressed with CoastalWx's 90's music trivia skills and even more smitten when he articulated them into the thread's most relevant content

I am practically blushing

His wife is one lucky lady :)

The 90s had the best music hands down. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Modfan said:

Was that the storm that was forecasted 7-10 and we got 20+? Somw reason I thought it was a Mar storm. I remember waking up at 2am we had close 8" and it must have showed 3-4" an hr for the next 3 hrs and waking saying WTF did all that come from!

Sounds like 1/27/11 to me.

6 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Sounds like 1/27/11 to me.

If he's describing a storm in march then he's probably thinking of 3/7-8/13...aka The Firehose Storm. Forecast was pretty subdued on that one from a lot of agencies. Both messenger (RIP) and I were very bullish on that storm but in the end even our musings weren't bullish enough. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

If he's describing a storm in march then he's probably thinking of 3/7-8/13...aka The Firehose Storm. Forecast was pretty subdued on that one from a lot of agencies. Both messenger (RIP) and I were very bullish on that storm but in the end even our musings weren't bullish enough. 

Oh perhaps. I think the GFS struggled mightily with that one (what else is new?), and Pete B. bought its output hook, line and sinker and predicted a slushy inch in Boston. I remember him yammering about the wind being off the water or something. Oops. I remember we had our annual corporate meeting on the top floor of 60 State the morning the firehose kicked in and I was so distracted by the pounding snow I had difficulty focusing on my presentation. Nice 30 inches for Blue Hills. Southern RI got screwed by the worst subsidence I'd seen (up until last March in my present location).

48 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Two sick bands on the backside, one along the ny/ma/ct border curling SE and one through the valley. 

cbs-3-historic-stormsjpg-d97ad083f2250e3

Its funny how despite the snowy last 15 years only three of their top 10 occurred then.  I think NYC and Boston half or more  of their top 10s are in that span

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Big shaft. Especially when on air mets still had 24-30” for HFD the day of. 

That was our first “real” storm in our first winter season after moving here in Aug 2004.....I even remember HFD county getting included in the blizzy warning late in the game and the 20+ forecast amounts as late as the onset of snow heading into the evening hours.....then we only got like 12” here in WeHa....not sure if the blizzy verified.....I was bummed

7 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

That was our first “real” storm in our first winter season after moving here in Aug 2004.....I even remember HFD county getting included in the blizzy warning late in the game and the 20+ forecast amounts as late as the onset of snow heading into the evening hours.....then we only got like 12” here in WeHa....not sure if the blizzy verified.....I was bummed

I measured over 30" in Cambridge, you literally couldn't identify many cars on the street.  In my top 3 all time storms and my only 30"+ storm.  

Just now, dryslot said:

What a slow mover on the 8th on the 0z GFS, That would take everyone off the ledge.

That one has actually been looking good on the ensembles too. Still a long ways to go in a mediocre pattern, but there's some synoptic players there that can produce.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

That one has actually been looking good on the ensembles too. Still a long ways to go in a mediocre pattern, but there's some synoptic players there that can produce.

You have a decent 1036 mb high that helps to feed some cold and a 50/50 low that acts as a block to slow this down to a long duration event.

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

You have a decent 1036 mb high that helps to feed some cold and a 50/50 low that acts as a block to slow this down to a long duration event.

Yep, ensembles have been pretty bullish on the high that's being forced down by the ULL to the east. But really not worth getting totally invested until it's at least another couple days closer. A slight change in the look and this could just be a St. Lawrence runner.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yep, ensembles have been pretty bullish on the high that's being forced down by the ULL to the east. But really not worth getting totally invested until it's at least another couple days closer. A slight change in the look and this could just be a St. Lawrence runner.

Odds are that the cutter run is drawing to a close...but you are right.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yes, Nice signal but still out there, Something to watch until we get into a reasonable time frame to see where it goes.

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Either that or push more people over the ledge lol...that's a good storm but marginal for the most snow starved folks.

Quite a few i think already went over lol, Been some good melts already, This would certainly warrant more if it becomes unfavorable.

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic