• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

4 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

I guess not all websites are available..

The website you are trying to access is not available at this time due to a lapse in appropriation.

NOAA.gov and specific NOAA websites necessary to protect lives and property are operational and will be maintained during this partial closure of the U.S. Government.

See weather.gov for forecasts and critical weather information.

NOAA Page Header

The website you are trying to access is not available at this time due to a lapse in appropriation.

NOAA.gov and specific NOAA websites necessary to protect lives and property are operational and will be maintained during this partial closure of the U.S. Government.

See weather.gov for forecasts and critical weather information.

NOAA Federal Employees: For access to the Notice to Federal Employees About Unemployment Insurance (SF-8), please Click Here.

KBUF mentions at end of discussion.

The second shortwave will near our region late in the period. There
may be a little rain/snow developing ahead of the trough and still
within the vicinity of milder air aloft. This trough and much colder
air is likely to drop across our region Tuesday night and Wednesday
with additional synoptic snow, and lake effect snow developing.
  • Like 1

Everyone's in panic mode, lol, who cares about 2-3 bad model runs as it can change, and probably will change, but I doubt we're snow free the first 2-3 weeks of January. If that does happen to occur, then that'll be the first time that it's happened in my 15 years of living here. Its gonna snow, its Upstate NY not DC.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

Everyone's in panic mode, lol, who cares about 2-3 bad model runs as it can change, and probably will change, but I doubt we're snow free the first 2-3 weeks of January. If that does happen to occur, then that'll be the first time that it's happened in my 15 years of living here. Its gonna snow, its Upstate NY not DC.

I hear ya, but it's getting hard to look at every model run with seasonal cold/dry, followed by warm/rain, rinse and repeat.  Such is climo I suppose...That said, I might be getting at least a little nervous if I was one of the many mets/pros forecasting a cold Jan.  IF the last few long range model runs pan out, most of the U.S. gets to mid Jan with a pretty good positive departure in the books.  

But like you said, the models can certainly change on a dime for the better moving forward.  Maybe the strat warming that's supposed to be happening right now somewhere about 25 miles over Khatanga, Siberia will help us out...:whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not really sure what to say. The long range models have been the worst I've ever seen them. Even the ensembles have changed drastically from run to run. I've never seen the Indices go from one end of the spectrum to the other like they have the last few weeks. Weak Nino years are Buffalos best snowfall years, and they usually feature above average temperatures in decembers so there is that. February is usually the best month for Weak Nino years. I guess time will tell, but we can't toss January and expect an above average snowfall month. I'm hoping for a quick start to summer, I have a pool I want to use. ^_^

I hear ya, but it's getting hard to look at every model run with seasonal cold/dry, followed by warm/rain, rinse and repeat.  Such is climo I suppose...That said, I might be getting at least a little nervous if I was one of the many mets/pros forecasting a cold Jan.  IF the last few long range model runs pan out, most of the U.S. gets to mid Jan with a pretty good positive departure in the books.  
But like you said, the models can certainly change on a dime for the better moving forward.  Maybe the strat warming that's supposed to be happening right now somewhere about 25 miles over Khatanga, Siberia will help us out...:whistle:
Yeah, too bad the Strat warm has a 2-3 week lag, lol, so no matter how we work it out, we're screwed until mid January, lol.

Im still riding that 02-03 analog cause it's still right on, but if it doesnt change within the next week going into the new year then something's amiss, so we'll see what happens in a week or so.

The pattern has to settle doan, simple as that. The models are all over the place and have been and they will continue to be until one of the driving forces of the pattern takes over and trumps everything else cause the MJO should begin to collapse and I'd imagine the Pac will take over along with the EPO. If we get any sort of -NAO this year, were in trouble as we'll be watching storms traverse the Gulf coast states and right off the SE coast and then OTS. I'm rooting for a neutral to slightly positive NAO cause the storm track is gonna already be across the SE anyway. A -NAO would kill us, but there would be quite a few smiling faces across the Mid Atlantic region that's for damn sure, lol.

• Like 1

Just now, rochesterdave said:

Out to 15 days and it looks just as bad.  Absolutely disgusting. All of December and now at least the first half of Jan. That’s 50% of meteorological winter folks. Wow! Something has got to give? 

fv3p_ref_frzn_us_61.png

Sadly, something doesnt necessarily have to give.  Seems like about every 5 years or so we have a winter without any real winter.   We all know just 5 years ago we had a year where Buffalo had less than 40 inches total on the season.  Rochester won the golden snowball that year with less than 70 inches on the season.  We are somewhat overdue for a dud winter as we had 4 pretty solid years in a row here.  It figures this is the year I plan the most ski trips into the Northeast.  So disheartening.  I'm thinking of starting up some yard projects (running power out to the shed) to at least make use of this garbage winter.  

2 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Sadly, something doesnt necessarily have to give.  Seems like about every 5 years or so we have a winter without any real winter.   We all know just 5 years ago we had a year where Buffalo had less than 40 inches total on the season.  Rochester won the golden snowball that year with less than 70 inches on the season.  We are somewhat overdue for a dud winter as we had 4 pretty solid years in a row here.  It figures this is the year I plan the most ski trips into the Northeast.  So disheartening.  I'm thinking of starting up some yard projects (running power out to the shed) to at least make use of this garbage winter.  

I close on Jan 17th so hopefully its 50 and sunny ^_^