• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

That’s a really big forecast for synoptic in western New York. I’d take that in a heartbeat. This storm ruined my move in date, hopefully we don’t get a big storm next weekend. 

Those are big numbers to forecast...I'd like to see the 12z run first.

12 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Just looking at soundings and different ratio methods id think somewhere in the neighborhood of 12:1. My general go to is cobb 11. 

These iowa state bufkit derived plots are nice...especially when youre only on a phone and cant use bufkit. 

plotter (1).png

Does that seem kinda low? I mean by 18z and especially 0z the temps will be in the single digits.

3 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Does that seem kinda low? I mean by 18z and especially 0z the temps will be in the single digits.

Could be. Its always tricky. But a deep area of modest lift at different temperatures is more indicative of smaller agreggates than large dendrites. You end up with a dry but dense snow. 

1 minute ago, OSUmetstud said:

Could be. Its always tricky. But a deep area of modest lift at different temperatures is more indicative of smaller agreggates than large dendrites. You end up with a dry but dense snow. 

Makes sense.  More grainy due to poor dendrite formation. Im guessing an optimal thermal would be 2m temps in the teens to low 20's???

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

I agree. Synoptic is usually in the lower ranges. It’s lake effect that can be 20:1.