• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

Sure did as Ive been actually following it cause this has been the second serious one since the one in November and it did the same in November but its not scored yet against the other major models cause its not operational yet!  Thats perhaps why the NWS is following its every move even their 4"-8"-12" probability maps are following it too!

Just now, CNY_WX said:

I just had the Weather Channel on and they seem to be leaning heavily on the Euro. Almost seems like they want heavy snow to fall on Boston. Cantore mentioned 40 inches for Nashua, NH!

They especially, and the media in general, like the major cities to get walloped...ups the hysteria for ratings... Big snowfalls in flyover country...meh. ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

I'm really starting to like that FV3 new upgraded GFS as it looks like a solid model both in resolution and accuracy but I haven't been watching it as much to see how it has done with past events so now I will make a folder of this weekends and future storms for posterity, nice!  Wanna see how it does!

Ty, Its a slight improvement over the current gfs but it still lags the ecmwf and ukmet significantly in verification score. Its also significantly cold biased through much of the lower trop. Its not operational yet so they can still make tweaks (once the govt reopens, of course). 

bias_day3_T_P850_G2NHX.png

cor_day5_HGT_P500_G2NHX (2).png

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OSUmetstud said:

Ty, Its a slight improvement over the current gfs but it still lags the ecmwf and ukmet significantly in verification score. Its also significantly cold biased through much of the lower trop. Its not operational yet so they can still make tweaks (once the govt reopens, of course). 

bias_day3_T_P850_G2NHX.png

cor_day5_HGT_P500_G2NHX (2).png

Question is, how well is it doing for this storm? 12z should clear the air a bit.

We'll see how the 12z disc goes:

Based on the latest available trends and guidance, a solution toward the 12Z ECENS mean will be preferred across the Western U.S. and offshore the West Coast after 36 hours, with a solution toward a compromise of the 00Z ECMWF/12Z ECENS mean and 00Z GEFS mean across the Eastern U.S. after 36 hours. The incorporation of the GEFS mean will be out of respect for the more progressive trends at least seen out of the NAM/GFS solution over the last 24 hours.

Day 3 Fronts and Pressures

Just now, vortmax said:

Question is, how well is it doing for this storm? 12z should clear the air a bit.

Yeah storm-specific verification would be great, but tough to do obviously. I dont have access to the 06z ecwmf since jb doesnt have it on wxbell but i did notice the 00z was faster and the northern stream kicker dropped in just a touch slower...resulting in a slight improvement. Also the biggest difference between the 00/06z gfs fv3 and the 00z ecmwf appears to be the amount of confluence over the ne. 500 heights are 15 to 20 m lower on the ecmwf, forcing the farther south track and earlier redevelopment. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Yeah storm-specific verification would be great, but tough to do obviously. I dont have access to the 06z ecwmf since jb doesnt have it on wxbell but i did notice the 00z was faster and the northern stream kicker dropped in just a touch slower...resulting in a slight improvement. Also the biggest difference between the 00/06z gfs fv3 and the 00z ecmwf appears to be the amount of confluence over the ne. 500 heights are 15 to 20 m lower on the ecmwf, forcing the farther south track and earlier redevelopment. 

I think we will know more as the storm jumps the Rockies later tonight early tomorrow. The confluence isn't our friend ATM but it also is keeping the storm from just blowing out to sea...is this almost becoming a Miller B type storm? Initial low to a transfer along the coast?

4 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I think we will know more as the storm jumps the Rockies later tonight early tomorrow. The confluence isn't our friend ATM but it also is keeping the storm from just blowing out to sea...is this almost becoming a Miller B type storm? Initial low to a transfer along the coast?

I wouldnt call it that since there isnt mid level closure. The trough is open from 700 and upward across the whole ne. Redevelopment comes via confluence. The 500 vort itself doesnt go south of Long Island. 

• Like 1