• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Upstate/Eastern New York

Just now, Buffalo Bumble said:

Sure is.  I would love to ride out a storm like this somewhere high up in the Sierra's when it slams into the coast.  Just a general 80-120" snowfall about 8K feet...

Would be an incredible experience for sure, especially with 80-100mph winds.   The sierras get rocked routinely but this storm seems more like a every 2 or 3 year type of event.  Maybe more.  I havent seen a warning map like this in Cali in for awhile.  

Capture.thumb.JPG.e0f8feb6e799c851eecb4dc39a184422.JPG

10 minutes ago, WNash said:

That’s not a bad thing. Some WFOs (*cough*BOSTON*cough*) throw up a blizzard warning several times a year for stuff we would laugh at.

That's kind of why I don't care to ever care to see a Blizzard Warning here. Or WSW due to Blizzard conditions.  KBOS has made it a joke. Congrats dumbasses 

• Haha 1

This looks like the most ideal therm0 profile that I would choose for the heart of the event instead of the single digits and teens that a couple are suggesting but I know it won't even be close to this but one can dream, lol.  These temps would be ideal in every way and especially for snow growth as ratios would still be 15-20/1 so Id rather, mid 20's than mid teens but thats just me.

gem_T2m_neus_19.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

This looks like the most ideal therm0 profile that I would choose for the heart of the event instead of the single digits and teens that a couple are suggesting but I know it won't even be close to this but one can dream, lol.  These temps would be ideal in every way and especially for snow growth as ratios would still be 15-20/1 so Id rather, mid 20's than mid teens but thats just me.

gem_T2m_neus_19.png

We will need to look at soundings as event draws near on Friday. The key to best snowgrowth, as you know, will lie with UVV and Denritic growth zone aligning. Even tomorrow and Thursday will be too soon. 

I can't imagine KORH raining throughout this event but thats just me as they seem to be the luckiest bastards on the board, lol!  They've had an incredible run this past decade but maybe their luck is finally running out, probably not though, lol!  The snowiest place East of the Rockies is Mt Tolland, lol!

I actually think the plains blizzard warnings are way more obnoxious/overused even though they technically meet the criteria.  Plains storms seem so damn lame most of the time.  Boston has gotten bigger synoptic storms than we have for the most part plus they have a gigantic sprawling disastrous road network.  But yeah, **** Boston...they are pansies sometimes.  

• Like 2

Would be an incredible experience for sure, especially with 80-100mph winds.   The sierras get rocked routinely but this storm seems more like a every 2 or 3 year type of event.  Maybe more.  I havent seen a warning map like this in Cali in for awhile.  
Capture.thumb.JPG.e0f8feb6e799c851eecb4dc39a184422.JPG

Need to find a webcam of this place! 30”+ in 12 hours with winds gusting to 140mph. I can’t even imagine what that would look like...
2978f055eb3fe142916c4555768ec53f.jpg

Yeah I know but with the precip output being shown by most models, I can bet the Omega and RH values should be outstanding and with temps in the low teens, it doesn't matter what the UVV or RH is, lol, cause I'm afraid the flakes will look like peas rather than dendrites, and I'm sure we all don't wanna see that happen, lol!

I know its early but look at this sounding for KFZY for 00Z Sunday!!  Wowzzers as that is just an incredible looking sounding, lol!  Only real thing lacking is the wind as their not all that strong but its early into the event at this time so they could and probably will change as we get closer!

gfs sounding

4 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Need to find a webcam of this place! 30”+ in 12 hours with winds gusting to 140mph. I can’t even imagine what that would look like...
2978f055eb3fe142916c4555768ec53f.jpg

You could go to Mount Washington which has similar weather, but not to that extreme. It's relatively close too. A friend on here Scott from the Mid Atlantic met up with me and another Met that worked up there for a few years. Some crazy stories, they hold the highest wind speed recorded in the USA I believe. 

231 mph

Observer Aubrey Hustead holding the #2 heated anemometer that recorded the 231 mph world record wind.

8 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I actually think the plains blizzard warnings are way more obnoxious/overused even though they technically meet the criteria.  Plains storms seem so damn lame most of the time.  Boston has gotten bigger synoptic storms than we have for the most part plus they have a gigantic sprawling disastrous road network.  But yeah, **** Boston...they are pansies sometimes.  

You are 100% correct about their road system!  Wow, got forbid you wanna get off at an exit, pray for dear life, lol, as its just nuts.  Really weird how its so different from us and thank God for that!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Yeah I know but with the precip output being shown by most models, I can bet the Omega and RH values should be outstanding and with temps in the low teens, it doesn't matter what the UVV or RH is, lol, cause I'm afraid the flakes will look like peas rather than dendrites, and I'm sure we all don't wanna see that happen, lol!

I know its early but look at this sounding for KFZY for 00Z Sunday!!  Wowzzers as that is just an incredible looking sounding, lol!  Only real thing lacking is the wind as their not all that strong but its early into the event at this time so they could and probably will change as we get closer!

gfs sounding

Nice. That sounding is why you wouldnt generally forecast anything over 15:1. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Was actually here during a really "warm" and tame day a few years ago. Temp was in the upper 50s with winds sustained at 55 gusting to 79mph and you literally could not walk. Not to mention the fog was so thick you literally could not see your feet looking straight down. Got to take the whole weather observation station tour which was really really cool and there's a lot more hard work involved in recording and keeping records up there than one would ever think! 

Just now, wolfie09 said:

Rain gets very close to ksyr..

Thank God I'm 25 miles North, lol, and so are you but even further but we do need this NW ticking to come to a stop now but I'm afraid when this thing hits the Coast and gets sampled properly we might see a wound up totally phased bomb and that right now is my biggest concern and the only thing saving us is the progressiveness of the trough with a kicker right on its tail so thank God for that, lol!

• Like 1