• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

In 2019, as a result of the recent tenfold increase in computing power, an upgrade to the GFS model is planned that will increase its horizontal resolution to 9 km and 128 layers out to 16 days, compared to the current run of 13 km and 64 layers out to 10 days. 

Long-term plans are for the GFS to receive a new core with dynamic scaling that uses the finite volume method. The resulting model, being developed under the name FV3, will retain the GFS moniker.[9] The proposal comes after eight years of testing a potential replacement model, the flow-following, finite-volume icosahedral model; the FIM proved to be slower and not appreciably more accurate than the GFS. Initial testing of the FV3 showed promise, outperforming the Integrated Forecast System in terms of hurricane tracks during the 2017 hurricane season (the IFS had been the most accurate operational model in predicting the paths).

• Like 1

A nice hit but I expect an uptick in snow amounts in future runs as the H850 gets better organized.  The temp in RH goes from 52F to 18F in 6 hrs with Super heavy Snow.  Nothing like living on the coast when one of these come along.  Experienced Many for 3 decades but I got sick of watching KSYR with constant snow back then so I vowed to move Upstate and here I am.  I do miss those Nor'Easters as they are few and far between up here but LE in between is the best part and when we are blessed with a synoptic system, we get the best of both worlds!  This upcoming event, if it comes to fruition, won't have as much LE with it or after it because of its progressive nature but theres another synoptic event on its tail so....

Snow totals 10:1 but it'll be more like 15-20:1" so an inch should yield close to 1.5'

fv3p_asnow_neus_27.png

Hey Matt, If I were you Id be watching out for Tomorrow into Wednesday as you may in fact receive some serious gravy this week before all the real fun begins later in the week.  I think you have a serious chance of seeing close to 6-8" before Friday even rolls around as that's when our next few inches is forecasted to arrive.

1 hour ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

The CMC should cave at 12Z while the King holds serve and I expect the Reg GFS to come back to reality, lol!  Funny thing is even with all the rain at the onset we still seem to manage to get to 8", lol, but I'd imagine a little more due to ratios!

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_25.png

gem_asnow_neus_28.png

Someone in Toronto or Kingston is manipulating the model! lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice run from the GFS as it looks just like last nights EURO as well as the German and the UKMET but the GGEM is still on its own but consistent.  I doubt it scores a coup but ya never know but even if the front end is rain the Canadian with ratios would still drop close to a foot here so....

modez (1).png

Just now, wolfie09 said:

Nothing to block this anymore..At least as it stands now..

We just need perfectly timed phase lol

gfs_mslpaNorm_namer_25.png

It has definitely lost the banana shape. FV3 a huge hit for WNY. The Canadian might be on to something. We are still looking good. 

I’m gonna get some sick pleasure out of the NE forum meltdown. 

• Haha 2