• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

4 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

I wish we could post short video clips on here. Might have to start a YouTube account and post links to videos of the lake events here.

I have a channel with lots of LES events. Some of my workouts as well haha. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3LutXF6kA73itxjVZ9h7-w?view_as=subscriber

I put together this slideshow of my all time favorite LES event.

• Like 1

https://www.nytimes.com/1985/01/22/nyregion/snowfall-brings-buffalo-region-to-a-standstill.html

This one was before my time in Buffalo, so did a bit of research. Without seeing a weather map, sounds like the PV made a journey into Ontario. Probably southwest of Hudson Bay to get such incredibly cold temps at BUF with a mean SW wind.  

It would be interesting to see what triggered this event in terms of broad scale circulation. Must have been some wicked blocking. 

https://www.nytimes.com/1985/01/22/nyregion/snowfall-brings-buffalo-region-to-a-standstill.html
This one was before my time in Buffalo, so did a bit of research. Without seeing a weather map, sounds like the PV made a journey into Ontario. Probably southwest of Hudson Bay to get such incredibly cold temps at BUF with a mean SW wind.  
It would be interesting to see what triggered this event in terms of broad scale circulation. Must have been some wicked blocking. 

5c7067b17fd3a4dfd2f640c1d104a359.gif
Jan 18 85 - Jan 22 85

1 minute ago, Thinksnow18 said:

So the really strange part or fascinating part is the date of the 85 Blizzard and the timeframe we are watching...just saying...

5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

CXOjeSf.png

Totals of up to 47" reported in southtowns. 

Don’t know if I’ve ever seen a “spread the wealth” event look better than that. Is that map from the Buf blizzard book?  I need to track that down...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Don’t know if I’ve ever seen a “spread the wealth” event look better than that. Is that map from the Buf blizzard book?  I need to track that down...

No, its from WNYlakeeffect. He lived in Jamestown and put together maps of every LES event off Erie that is documented. Unfortunately Accuweather forums closed and they are no longer accessible. He posts here once in awhile and hope he has a storage of them somewhere. He graduated college and moved to NYC I believe. But every winter weather enthusiast in Buffalo needs to have this book on their bookshelves. It's unreal the storms that have hit this area. 

@WNYLakeEffect

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

No, its from WNYlakeeffect. He lived in Jamestown and put together maps of every LES event off Erie that is documented. Unfortunately Accuweather forums closed and they are no longer accessible. He posts here once in awhile and hope he has a storage of them somewhere. He graduated college and moved to NYC I believe. But every winter weather enthusiast in Buffalo needs to have this book on their bookshelves. It's unreal the storms that have hit this area. 

@WNYLakeEffect

Yeah, I haven't done anything in quite some time, but I still have all of the stuff saved at home. Some of the data (newspapers, COOP records) was either hard to find or process, but it's all out there. The Blizzard Book was a neat throwback -- many of the accounts of the storms it lists from before 1900 can be found on free(-ish) newspaper archives from the New York Times and Google.

I based any of my maps from before the mid-90s entirely on COOP observations, which are inconsistent and geographically sparse, so they're very approximate. I'd do the maps differently nowadays. At the time, I overlaid multi-day totals on the map and tried my best to make contours that took into account the local tendencies and variations we experience. Later I attempted to create a mapping program in Python, but I was unsatisfied with the results (I needed to deal with way more data to make somewhat decent maps than my skills or time allowed, and it's really hard to make a program that considers local geography when plotting contours). It could absolutely be accomplished, though -- anyone that knows how to deal with masses of data, which can be pulled from databases in commonly used formats, could make a decent reconstruction of daily weather across the eastern US from 1893 to the present. I vaguely recall a product from some NOAA branch that sort of did this, but the execution wasn't exactly how I'd envisioned it. 

Someday I'll revisit everything and do it my own way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, WNYLakeEffect said:

Yeah, I haven't done anything in quite some time, but I still have all of the stuff saved at home. Some of the data (newspapers, COOP records) was either hard to find or process, but it's all out there. The Blizzard Book was a neat throwback -- many of the accounts of the storms it lists from before 1900 can be found on free(-ish) newspaper archives from the New York Times and Google.

I based any of my maps from before the mid-90s entirely on COOP observations, which are inconsistent and geographically sparse, so they're very approximate. I'd do the maps differently nowadays. At the time, I overlaid multi-day totals on the map and tried my best to make contours that took into account the local tendencies and variations we experience. Later I attempted to create a mapping program in Python, but I was unsatisfied with the results (I needed to deal with way more data to make somewhat decent maps than my skills or time allowed, and it's really hard to make a program that considers local geography when plotting contours). It could absolutely be accomplished, though -- anyone that knows how to deal with masses of data, which can be pulled from databases in commonly used formats, could make a decent reconstruction of daily weather across the eastern US from 1893 to the present. I vaguely recall a product from some NOAA branch that sort of did this, but the execution wasn't exactly how I'd envisioned it. 

Someday I'll revisit everything and do it my own way. 

I knew you were still around somewhere! Thanks for the response. It would be awesome to get a dedicated website or host server to keep track of the history of all the events throughout the years. Let me know if you need any help with the maps, would love to help.