Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

6 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I just reached for the AED...

We could toss all of winter and I would be fine with it if that model run is even close to correct. Feet upon feet. It does match up with that PV lobe sitting right near Hudson Bay. Something big is coming, just have to keep these lakes warm enough. Lake Erie will likely start freezing towards end of January. Sitting at 37 degrees right now, 3 above normal. Once it hits 32 it freezes in about a week depending on the pattern. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

This is the pattern that results in major LES events. Still so far out but it's been showing up in lots of guidance the last few days. 

So close, yet so far away!  If we can get a look like that to line up with about a 4-day lead time....the possibilities are endless.  

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

So close, yet so far away!  If we can get a look like that to line up with about a 4-day lead time....the possibilities are endless.  

Usually lake effect you can predict quicker than synoptic. The general pattern is easier to decipher. Around a week lead way. I remember mentioning 2014 7-8 days before.  

Blizzard of 85 is #2 match at the moment.
5890f88fafad8baf58360e99d46c6736.gif

Pattern does look good but I’m staying away from that epic talk... don’t want to get up any false hope. Plus lake temp is going to take a huge blow the next few days... However!

84-85 had a super slow start to winter only 12” going into January...
Jan 85 started warm and saw the lake hover at 40 for the first 10 days of the month. However mid month the pattern flipped the snow started falling and the lake dropped to 33 by the 19th when the storm started. The details right now line up almost exactly as they happened in 85.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Blizzard of 85 is #2 match at the moment.
5890f88fafad8baf58360e99d46c6736.gif

Pattern does look good but I’m staying away from that epic talk... don’t want to get up any false hope. Plus lake temp is going to take a huge blow the next few days... However!

84-85 had a super slow start to winter only 12” going into January...
Jan 85 started warm and saw the lake hover at 40 for the first 10 days of the month. However mid month the pattern flipped the snow started falling and the lake dropped to 33 by the 19th when the storm started. The details right now line up almost exactly as they happened in 85.

Can I like this 50 times?! I made mention of this earlier...hey look at some point history repeats or closely resembles itself so I'm going with like 1 in a million...so your saying there's a chance...

12 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

20s, snow, and no wind is ideal winter.weather.

Same. I mean I'm one of the few on here with no snow on the ground, so its the worst. I agree 20s and lots of snow is perfect climo. I'm excited for you and wolf these next 6 weeks. Erie is going to freeze, but you guys are going to get pounded. Get those video cameras ready! I'll try to make a trip up there if it gets really good. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Can I like this 50 times?! I made mention of this earlier...hey look at some point history repeats or closely resembles itself so I'm going with like 1 in a million...so your saying there's a chance...

These 4 days of cold are going to take a huge toll on the lake temp. Also that cold air coming with that PV lobe is going to be almost "too cold" for really good lake effect. Hopefully it gets slightly modified. That's the only thing I'm really worried about as all models and ENS show that low near Hudson Bay. We should here the NWS start talking about it shortly. Temps look to be 30-35 with some sun the first 4-5 days of next week which will help slow the cool down.