• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

1 hour ago, Syrmax said:

4.5" snowfall at 7 a.m. & 0.24" melted. That's 18.75:1. Of course its snowing pretty decent now that I am about to snowblow.  Still breezy also.

I measured 4.6 inches with 0.35 LE giving me a ratio of 13.14:1 at 7 AM. Probably got at least another inch since then and it’s still snowing at least moderately. 

Snowing better today than it did all night, go figure, lol! Anyway in East Syracuse where the radar has pretty much no returns is quite deceiving because its snowing throughout CNY and the radar is doing a bad job cause alot of it is low topped so the radar is overshooting the cloud tops as their only 7-8000ft high as the cap came down some since last night. Lapse rates have risen a bit today with CAA and snow growth is very low once again and very efficient for accumulating so I'd expect at least 2-4 3-5" for the day easy to put totals close to a foot around the area. Dont know if it was worth the warning, still debating.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

LMAO the spotter from E Williamsville might need to re-check their measurements, especially when the sites all around them are between 3 and 6 inches of snow

Yeah, that's bonkers - we had more than that in NE Buffalo (about 2.5"), and we were never under a well-organized band for any substantial period.

7 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

I measured 4.6 inches with 0.35 LE giving me a ratio of 13.14:1 at 7 AM. Probably got at least another inch since then and it’s still snowing at least moderately. 

Interesting. I wonder if I had an under catch in the cylinder due to wind.

1 hour ago, wolfie09 said:

Must suck living that close to the lake..

1 NE Pulaski           0.5   700 AM  1/10  CoCoRaHS

I have a friend with a cabin right on the beach just north of Southwick Beach State Park, and they actually get a lot of snow - it has been in their family for many years, and is winterized, but most winters they have to ski/snowshoe in because of multiple feet of snow.

I'm sure they get a small fraction of the snowfall 5-10 miles to the east, but they get their share.

• Like 1

Yea i agree, the intial band alone should of gave them more then that lol

50088486_2393446054018402_70120017725289

[7:55PM Update] Several areas of heavy snow will continue this evening east of Lake Ontario, across the higher terrain east of Lake Erie, and a narrow lake effect band from Lake Huron crossing the Buffalo area and Wyoming County. Snowfall rates of 1 to 1.5 inches per hour possible.

10 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

Martin Luther king junior park is a major tongue twister. Many other famous people have said the same flub on air, Google it. Its the combination of Luther and king or junior and king.  Why on earth would he say that on purpose or ever?  The reaction is insane and idiotic. My only thought is they wanted to get rid of him anyway and decided to use this as the perfect opportunity..

my two cents

On the one hand I'm really sympathetic. Perfect diction isn't something most of us do or practice at, and accidents happen. On the other hand... good, clear diction and accurate speech is an essential part of an on camera job like that. I see way too many "B" newsreaders, sports anchors, and on camera mets who are marble-mouthed. Besides being important to professional presentation, clear diction prevents errors than can turn off a significant part of the viewership. Viewers have choices, and who wants to watch the station with the guy who slips up and makes an on air slur? Why should it be on the viewers to determine his intention? Especially if you're a member of the group being slurred. (Bad diction is still preferable than the on camera airheads who say insane garbage while segueing between stories or bantering with other on camera talent.) 

To me, the best approach would have been to pull him off the air for a week or two, until things cool down, but require flawless diction going forward. Local stations are famously cheap, though, and they might have decided that they couldn't afford to have a met not pulling his weight for a couple weeks. Or, as people suggest, maybe they were looking for a pretext to can him, and he was already on his last chance. In any case, I imagine it was accidental, and I feel for the guy, but speaking clearly on air is a crucial skill for that position. 

14 minutes ago, WNash said:

I have a friend with a cabin right on the beach just north of Southwick Beach State Park, and they actually get a lot of snow - it has been in their family for many years, and is winterized, but most winters they have to ski/snowshoe in because of multiple feet of snow.

I'm sure they get a small fraction of the snowfall 5-10 miles to the east, but they get their share.

Btw.. that little cabin area just north of Southwick Beach may be my favorite spot on Erie or Ontario (outside the Thousand Islands which are a different thing altogether). Does anyone know where I'm talking about? Great beach, facing a few degrees S of due west so a stunning sunset every damn day, and a breeze that keeps the bugs away (except for very early in the morning). I'd buy there in a second if it weren't such a far drive from Buffalo.

14 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

That does sound a sound a bit high but they were getting pounded all day yesterday and overnight so I could see it being close especially at the top of the mountain at 2250’. 

Regardless of the exact number the area ski resorts needed this in a bad way...not to mention all the snowmobile trails across the state that might be able to open now.