• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

51 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Awesome! I think that's more snow then I've seen on the ground here since Christmas Eve. Haha!

Just to bring a little more discussion to the board while we await our first potential snow event in quite some time, what kind of vehicles does everyone on this thread drive? Just curious how all of us upstaters get around.

2016 Mazda cx3 grand touring fully loaded AWD. It’s perfect besides from it being a little small in the interior. It was between the Subaru crosstrek and this. This is my exact model/color, but I have a Thule roof rack for my kayaks and snowboard/skis. The specs were Identical but this was $5k cheaper. Wife drives a Honda Civic. 

C9246107-36A5-43A8-8A0B-3D08F75C4A18.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Me and my girl share a vehicle for the time being, it's paid off this year ..(400 a month for 5 years)..Now i think i wanna sell it lol

Girl wants a subaru, something like the forester..I want a gmc denali lol

Subaru's are top rated vehicles for winter weather..So we'll see...

The Crosstrek is a great compromise. A few of my friends have it and they love it. It's similar to the Mazda CX3

tumblr_inline_nyrd3oTP8q1tcrsvi_1280.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WxNoob said:

Ha I also drive a CX-3 but in dark blue - love it but also wish it had more interior space.  Wife drives a forester.

Got a nice layer of ice down, branches are really starting to droop.  Looks like it’s coming to an end soon luckily.

Did you decide between this and Crosstrek too? I'm debating on trading it in to get it but it's so similar probably not worth the financial loss. I know the crosstrek is quite a bit bigger inside. The CX3 is great in the snow and really fun to drive. 

48 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Did you decide between this and Crosstrek too? I'm debating on trading it in to get it but it's so similar probably not worth the financial loss. I know the crosstrek is quite a bit bigger inside. The CX3 is great in the snow and really fun to drive. 

We liked the Crosstrek but ruled it out mainly because we didn’t want to own two Subarus (stupid reason I know)  Went with Mazda for price, MPG, drivability, and AWD features.  

4 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Freezing rain and sleet even on much of the Tug now. Lame. Single digits this morning and liquid falling from the sky now. Crunch crunch crunch as I went to check it out.

I love freezing rain. It's so rare compared to snow. I remember one time ice skating on the street during a big ice storm as a kid. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I love freezing rain. It's so rare compared to snow. I remember one time ice skating on the street during a big ice storm as a kid. 

You and I are so opposite in weather interests...I detest freezing rain and hot weather...and spring and summer are my least favorite seasons. Lol

I grew up in South central PA during the 90s. A decade that had some pretty nasty ice storms with strong winds. That sound of trees snapping and falling around the house will always stick with you.

Now, I do find sleet storms fascinating. They are rare. I moved back to Lancaster PA for a couple years and was there for the February winter storm of 2007. 6 to 8 INCHES of sleet that froze solid around everything. I couldn't get my car out for a week. That glacier survived days and days of 40s and 50s. It was incredible. Sleet is awful to drive in btw.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

You and I are so opposite in weather interests...I detest freezing rain and hot weather...and spring and summer are my least favorite seasons. Lol

I grew up in South central PA during the 90s. A decade that had some pretty nasty ice storms with strong winds. That sound of trees snapping and falling around the house will always stick with you.

Now, I do find sleet storms fascinating. They are rare. I moved back to Lancaster PA for a couple years and was there for the February winter storm of 2007. 6 to 8 INCHES of sleet that froze solid around everything. I couldn't get my car out for a week. That glacier survived days and days of 40s and 50s. It was incredible. Sleet is awful to drive in btw.

I hear you. We are definitely opposites. I love being outside and not being cold. Whenever I'm off I'm in summer by the pool or beach or playing some sport outside. I snowboard, ski, and play ice hockey every weekend so I definitely enjoy winter too. But sitting inside and just watching snow depth grow just doesn't do it for me. It was actually an ice rink earlier today driving around, definitely the worst stuff to drive in is freezing rain/sleet. With snow as long as you have AWD and decent tires you're fine. Wish we could lock in this.

fv3p_T850_us_61.png

• Like 1

I'm on Matts side here haha 

I do enjoy spring and fall though, especially the smell of fresh cut grass and spring rain lol

Hate summer haha But I can tolerate it here with avg temps in the upper 70, in cnj avg high was like 87°..

PS nothing worse then stink bugs..

• Like 1

Don't sound to impressed, minus the Higher elevations..

The
large scale trough will be overhead while multiple shortwaves drop
south and across the forecast area. Deep moisture in west-northwest
flow will persist into Wednesday evening with lake induced
equilibrium levels holding steady at 8-10k feet. Lake effect snow is
expected across the forecast area and will be enhanced by the higher
terrain. Off Lake Erie, winds will become northwest Wednesday
evening and an upstream connection with Lake Huron will provide
additional moisture. Moderate to heavy snow accumulation is likely
along the Chautauqua Ridge and into the Boston Hills during this
time. Snow ratios will rise above 10:1 especially across the higher
terrain and snow accumulations of 6-12 inches are possible Wednesday-
Thursday. For this reason, A Winter Storm Watch was posted and is in
effect from late tonight into Thursday with the greatest
accumulation along the Chautauqua Ridge Wednesday-Wednesday night.
Off Lake Ontario, northwest flow will provide lake effect and
upslope snow showers along the southern shore with moderate snow
showers from Wayne County eastward to the Tug Hill region. Northwest
flow will provide enhancement on the northern side of the Tug Hill
and northern Jefferson and Lewis counties will see lesser amounts.
Moderate snow accumulations of 5-10 inches will be confined to the
Tug Hill. Due to the isolated nature of these amounts and that the
amounts will be spread out across Wednesday-Thursday, will not be
issuing any Winter Headlines at this time. Elsewhere, minor
accumulations of 1-3 inches are possible Wed-Wed night.

The meso models are not even in full range yet, they are still relying on global output..

They will adjust all day today..

I don't wanna here about that long duration BS lol It's easier to get 9" in 24 hours then 7" in 12 hours.. Headlines will be issued eventually ..

• Like 1

Ok so back to the car discussion, as I'm pretty certain us folk at the lower elevations on the Niagara Frontier are going to waiting quite some time for any appreciable snows!!! So we have a 2014 dodge grand caravan which I love and hate all at once...Great for traveling and carrying just about anything (the seats stow n go and I can put 10 sheets of drywall or several pieces of furniture as we like to revive old furniture). Hate it because, well, it's a mini-van. The second rig is a 2017 cruze as our economical car. Now to the weather. I am growing pretty despondent here as the latest run of the GFS shows next to zero snow chances for WNY outside of the next couple days for 2 weeks. In fact I also saw on another forum last night the ECMWF 45 snowfall accums and let's just say areas of WNY didn't get above a foot during that time frame. I, like Matt and others, enjoy the summers but love the winters. If this is going to be a fail of a winter snowfall wise that will make for a long year meteorologically speaking.