• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

Most weak El Nino years feature above average temps in December and we've seen that so far this month. While it hasn't been too warm, we are +1.6 for the month and likely to add to it this coming weekend. The long range outlook which featured colder then normal weather has been pushed back about 2-3 weeks so far. The transition time frame for a return to colder then normal weather looks like the middle of January. However, the long range forecasting models have been absolutely terrible, along with the indices changing on the daily. Buffalo is below average in terms of snowfall for the year so far.  

The next 2 weeks will likely feature a "gradient" type pattern with 2-3 cutters. Cold air will be hard to find, but climatology states we are close to entering the coldest time of year in a few weeks. A strong PNA along with a the EPO going negative will feature cold air across the Northeast. However the entry point of the cold air will likely be pretty far east which if LES comes will feature NW winds as the predominant wind direction. We need help from that WPO to get the entry point of cold air farther west. The SE ridge looks to be the main focal point the next 2 weeks (La ninaish). 

4indices.png

The farther we get into January the colder we should get.

ecmwf-ens_z500a_us_11.png

gfs-ens_z500a_us_57.png

day15temps.gif.150471a9abcb73d6203ba13c567208b6.gif

The MJO looks to be entering a more favorable phase as well, but will take until the 2nd week of January to get there. 

diagram_40days_forecast_GEFS_member.gif

The lag time of SSW is usually 2-3 weeks, another thing going in our favor. However the placement of the SSW will have a direct result on placement of coldest air. Many times SSW can result in the coldest air going over Europe or even Siberia. 

Lake Erie and Ontario are both above average for this time of year.

Surface Temps

All in all we should gradually see a transition to a more wintry type pattern as we enter the first week of January. I'd favor NW favored snowbelts and Eastern New York for Synoptic. Not the best pattern for Western NY but we may get some luck with that gradient pattern. Mid January to Feb should feature some great winter weather. Perfect timing as I will be moving into my house. ^_^

Merry Christmas all and to all a good new year! :snowwindow:

• Like 2

Weeklies discussion, I would be a little worried about the cold that keeps getting pushed back in the long range. From Carvers:

"I was not a huge fan of the Weeklies run.  It cut snow totals by about half w a fairly decent "warm-up"(likely rainy and cloudy) in the middle.  Looks like a decent cold shot from Jan 4-11 and another from say January 23 - the end of the run.  The worst of the cold was pushed back.  Likely culprits?  Maybe the MJO is over-riding the Nino signal.  Also the SOI is in La Nina territory and decently so.  That is rare and is not a good thing.  While it wasn't a Grinch run and certainly wasn't terrible, it did have a lump of coal or two.  I certainly don't like to see AN temps during our best snow climatology time.  That said, if we get cold during the last week of Jan into February w this constant precip...have to think that is good.  My rule about Nino winters is that they just require a ton of patience...I am not fan of backloaded winters.  At this point, I don't see anything that would change my original winter set of ideas.  Below is the teleconnection chart.  There are certainly some inconsistencies there"

Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 7.34.20 PM.png

MJO's usually disappear, or should I say die out, during ninos, but this ones hanging on a bit longer it seems but I doubt it lasts much longer but who really knows.

Tbh, I'm not really looking forward to a prolonged period of single digit & teens for highs and lows below 0, F that, give me snow at 29F and I'm a happy camper as the older I get, the colder I get, or so it seems, lol!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The difference between the Euro and GFS are huge in the long range. Euro is warm, GFS is cold. NWS mentions it. 

Forecast uncertainty quickly increases Monday night and Tuesday. The
latest 00Z GFS brings a cold front across the area early Tuesday,
with a chance of snow showers followed by lake effect potential by
evening as cold air pours into the Great Lakes. The ECMWF on the
other hand brings a much stronger southern stream wave through the
Ohio Valley and eastern Great Lakes Monday night and Tuesday, which
would bring a surge of warmer air and rain into our region, followed
by much colder air later Tuesday night and Wednesday. The GEM
represents the middle ground, with a weaker southern stream wave
moving through the Mid Atlantic region. Given the uncertainty, went
with a chance of rain/snow showers for this period.

The long boring stretch continues. Our early jump in snowfall has been relegated to near normal, or below, due to a weak December. 

Many of us got a Christmas miracle and now we are back to the doldrums. None of models have anything of interest for 10 days but this pattern is definitely game for surprises. Just need the two streams to link up- not early (cutter) and not late (ots). Canadian comes closest. 

Dull stuff. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

The long boring stretch continues. Our early jump in snowfall has been relegated to near normal, or below, due to a weak December. 

Many of us got a Christmas miracle and now we are back to the doldrums. None of models have anything of interest for 10 days but this pattern is definitely game for surprises. Just need the two streams to link up- not early (cutter) and not late (ots). Canadian comes closest. 

Dull stuff. 

The GFS looks fantastic, the Euro not so much. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

I guess not all websites are available..

The website you are trying to access is not available at this time due to a lapse in appropriation.

NOAA.gov and specific NOAA websites necessary to protect lives and property are operational and will be maintained during this partial closure of the U.S. Government.

See weather.gov for forecasts and critical weather information.

• Haha 1

Man I've been trying to stay positive, but with every model run, the reality of a crappy winter seems more real.  Looks like we can almost write off the first 2-3 weeks of January.  Just no blocking, pac air dominating NA, and a split flow that seems to move any system of interest either well North or well South..   We havent even had a damn high wind event yet this fall/winter.  Losing faith.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1