• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2018 Year in Review

Hoosier

Not the most exciting year in my area, but there were some notable things... especially in the first half.

The very cold New Year's

The snowy stretch in early February, though it lacked a really huge storm

9day_snowfall.png.610ffeed8052ceb75e14c494b84deee7.png

The rapid transition from winter to warmth. Had about as abbreviated of a spring as I can remember, with temps well into the 90s by late May.

2018May2629Heat.png.a832282b2ab04fe9fb5eb4b4df87bbde.png

Alberto remnants.  Almost unprecedented to get a remnant system in May in this part of the country.

AlbertoLoopDownsized.gif

Bagging an 80 degree dew in late June, which is a little hard to do here given the lack of corn fields in the immediate area

Cold and relatively snowy November.  No big storms but an unusual number of days with snow.  

How about you?

• Like 1

This year was pretty boring. The March 24 Snow when Indy got 10.1 inches was nice. The extreme change from winter to summer was cool as well. Indy had just 4 70 plus degrees days prior to April 30th. On the last day of April the morning was 34 degrees at my station and rose 42 degrees that day and never looked back All days in May were above 70

Merry Christmas everyone!

As for my highlights for this area...

1:  Awesome March 24th snowstorm that dumped 11".

2:  Several measurable snows in April, and then just a little over a month later MLI tagged 99 degrees in late May.

3.  Severe storm with fantastic multi-tiered shelf cloud and 60mph winds on Aug 28th.

4.  Blizzard on Nov 25th, followed by over 2 weeks of snow cover.

• Like 1

Biggest thing here was definitely the August floods and heavy rain. I got about a foot of rain in two weeks around here. Some areas like the west side of Madison got 15 and a corridor south of Mauston got over 20 inches.

StormTotalQPEURMA-20days.png 

During that whole stretch on the 28th there was also a pretty prolific QLCS-fest of tornadoes. There was a total of 19 tornadoes with the strongest being an EF-2 just to the north of Brownsville. https://www.weather.gov/mkx/aug2818

The other major event of the year was probably the April 13th-15th storm. That one would've been a big storm in February but in APRIL? We got like 6 inches of snow with some downright blizzard conditions at some points. It was also ironically the first WSW of the year for me. At least we didn't get the 30 inches that Green Bay saw. Other than those 3 major events there really wasn't anything major. 

• Like 1

There weren't too many memorable events around here this year.

• Generally wet, well above average for the year, but no events over 2.50".
  • In September/October I recorded rainfall on about half the days.
  • Back-loaded winter... Fairly snowy February, an 8" snow event in late March, and four small snow events in April
  • Tornado within a mile of my house
  • Highest wind gust (60-70 mph) in several years
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Geoboy645 said:

Biggest thing here was definitely the August floods and heavy rain. I got about a foot of rain in two weeks around here. Some areas like the west side of Madison got 15 and a corridor south of Mauston got over 20 inches.

StormTotalQPEURMA-20days.png 

During that whole stretch on the 28th there was also a pretty prolific QLCS-fest of tornadoes. There was a total of 19 tornadoes with the strongest being an EF-2 just to the north of Brownsville. https://www.weather.gov/mkx/aug2818

The other major event of the year was probably the April 13th-15th storm. That one would've been a big storm in February but in APRIL? We got like 6 inches of snow with some downright blizzard conditions at some points. It was also ironically the first WSW of the year for me. At least we didn't get the 30 inches that Green Bay saw. Other than those 3 major events there really wasn't anything major. 

Pretty accurate summary for southern WI. Seems the only impact wx we get anymore is excessive rain & associated flooding, which isn't photogenic/adrenaline-pumping like severe or photogenic like winter. It's just disruptive, destructive and dangerous.

Snow in April sucks *** especially when we can't buy it in December, and although the 8/28 severe event was moderately significant, it was not chaseable being both a wrapped up QLCS and occurred in the trees (although not the "northwoods," Adams, Juneau, Marquette and Green Lake counties have a lot of territory covered by tall, dense pine forests).

• Like 1