• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2018-19

pasnownut

One thing to consider is the front end thump. If that does indeed happen and places north of Flathead's house get 4 or 5 hours of 1 or 2"/hr rates, that's potentially eight-to-ten inches, not including the aggregate of the hours where it's only .5 per hour or so and then any sleet. I guess it's not impossible for places like Duncannon, Newport, Blain, Cassville, and Claysburg to verify an 8-12 call before a switch. 

2 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Horst has nothing good to say about snow this morning as he's anticipated. Says warm air aloft wins and his low accumulation numbers are most likely...Lancaster  and York 1", Harrisburg up to 4". All snow is north of I-80.

Yea all morning upper air data is not a good look for southern PA outside of the mountains.  I’m not even sure Harrisburg gets to 4” based on how things currently look because even with snow falling before changeover temps may not be able to fall to 32 or below at surface.

CTP is making their call for more snow south of I-80 to the Turnpike and I definitely respect that. Unfortunately the models keep trending warmer and even the NAM now surges warm air north enough to make a good portion of the precip non-snow up to even Clearfield on ENE. Some of the precip on the most recent NAM may even be rain in UNV. Hopefully the snow is good for the initial few hours, but I'm thinking sleet/ZR/rain is knocking down accums for almost everyone in this subforum. I'd go 6-10" along I-80 including IPT and UNV, 4-7" in Altoona (maybe not AOO which is south of town), 3-5" in Harrisburg and along I-76. The foot or higher totals may be in the northern third of the state and north of IPT. 

33 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

One thing to consider is the front end thump. If that does indeed happen and places north of Flathead's house get 4 or 5 hours of 1 or 2"/hr rates, that's potentially eight-to-ten inches, not including the aggregate of the hours where it's only .5 per hour or so and then any sleet. I guess it's not impossible for places like Duncannon, Newport, Blain, Cassville, and Claysburg to verify an 8-12 call before a switch. 

Well, did not like that final bump from the guidance this morning.. esp from the NAM. That's no bueno for the Pit Metro and our far southern tier gang. Everything's pretty much in agreement now and the surface low enters SW PA and runs southern PA instead of staying just south.. and that has the biggest implications in Pittsburgh and also south and east of H-burg with respect to higher snow totals. That track would also shift the deform snow axis NW to the northern tier and NW PA so the central locations are going to have to get there mostly on front end snow. That might spoil AOO and UNV's bid at 10 or more. But HRRR continues to look good for that general area you mention with those locations. I guess the good thing with that lousy track is that central is going to get slotted before it mixes for too long. If I were to make a call for the Harrisburg region, I think at least 4-5 is still pretty doable, and York/Lancaster region can still pick up 1-2". 

59 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

That’s a great point!

That’s what the November storm did in the Harrisburg area with 1-2 inch per hour rates for just about 6 hours. We got 8.8 inches from that thump.

2 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Well, did not like that final bump from the guidance this morning.. esp from the NAM. That's no bueno for the Pit Metro and our far southern tier gang. Everything's pretty much in agreement now and the surface low enters SW PA and runs southern PA instead of staying just south.. and that has the biggest implications in Pittsburgh and also south and east of H-burg with respect to higher snow totals. That track would also shift the deform snow axis NW to the northern tier and NW PA so the central locations are going to have to get there mostly on front end snow. That might spoil AOO and UNV's bid at 10 or more. But HRRR continues to look good for that general area you mention with those locations. I guess the good thing with that lousy track is that central is going to get slotted before it mixes for too long. If I were to make a call for the Harrisburg region, I think at least 4-5 is still pretty doable, and York/Lancaster region can still pick up 1-2". 

Thanks for your analysis.  In the PIT area, we weren't necessarily expecting to start as rain, but we already have rain and sleet observations in Allegheny county.  Seems the north trend wins again, even late to the party, but we probably should have expected it without the necessary blocking and cold air in place.  My temp (just south of the city) is already at 34F and precip hasn't started.

3 hours ago, Atomixwx said:

I just follow you all in real life. @Flatheadsickness built him and his dog one hell of a fire last night. I know this because now that I know he's tracking me and Nanny's business, I want to make sure she has sufficient private time for private time.

Enough is enough with nanny !  1. she needs to stay on her lip ointment one more week 2.  you need to let her denture glue dry a few more bays before you jar them lose again. 3 nanny came up short again someone owes me $1.98. Just because you look like the local cop for super troopers don't mean you get a discount homie. 

So two chances at winter weather during the work week.  Wed Am a surprise but moderate signal for ice....and then watching that same front for a coastal to form Friday. 

I love chasing these things, when I have time, by watching models and discussing results with others.  I actually use that discussion to help prepare forecasts for a few clients but after last week I felt several bad vibes for bringing you guys into it so I will chase with some others who also enjoy it but should still be around here when it comes to obs time.