Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Winter 2018-19

pasnownut

2 minutes ago, SnowPlowGuy88 said:

This is our latest forecast. You can see they’re very confident. 

Sno-Services (Harrisburg).pdf

Those 30-35 mph gusts after the storm clears out is concerning because anyone who gets significant ice accretion is going to have power issues, and with the severity of the cold, houses will chill rather quickly.

4 minutes ago, 2001kx said:

Dt posted his first call

12-16 AND ice storm possible? How'd I get so lucky haha. 

A few quick comments on the longer term before we get fully into this storm. It really looks to continue to be active and there is some serious arctic air on the table down the road. We do look to lose a cutter midweek but that sets the boundary for a secondary storm. 18z GFS for example had a snowstorm for a good section of the subforum while the Euro didn't press the boundary and phased up a <975mb low through the heart of PA. Other runs had the system completely SE of our region. So needless to say that looks like that may be our next headache. The day 8-10 Euro like last night unloads a major arctic air mass Lakes and NE with less than -30ºC 850 air over all of PA via a massive western/AK ridge bridged over the top to a major ridge SW of Greenland. -30ºC at 850 in PA is serious stuff if it came to fruition. That is Jan '94 cold outbreak variety. A lot of things to watch when we get past this impending storm. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Caveman said:

That's a nice summary!  Who produces that for you?  If you cannot divulge, no worries...

It’s done by a company by the name of Weather Works. We’ve used them for years in doing snow removal but in the last two years we started doing more work for a company locally who uses them as well. So no longer need to pay for the subscription!

Just now, SnowPlowGuy88 said:

It’s done by a company by the name of Weather Works. We’ve used them for years in doing snow removal but in the last two years we started doing more work for a company locally who uses them as well. So no longer need to pay for the subscription!

It is a good, concise summary. It's very well written.

42 minutes ago, Flatheadsickness said:

Dont worry about me.  I got a bottle of these super special pills i didn't really need after getting teeth pulled on Wednesday. Seeing how I dont like to waste anything I will be happy no matter the outcome this weekend. 

Vicodin make you forget you're being rained on?

30 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

This looks like somebody drew this up during a seizure. Or by Michael J. Fox. Perhaps Michael J. Fox had a seizure.

Lol, I actually don't think his map looks bad, but it looks like he was trying to scribble out the SNE gang with his 4 and 8 inch lines. My local nitpick with it is if we actually get 12-16", that means there was little or no mixing. I think AOO-UNV corridor is in the 6-10" range if we get a more extensive wintry mix period. I doubt we get a foot plus AND a significant ice storm.  

7 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Lol, I actually don't think his map looks bad, but it looks like he was trying to scribble out the SNE gang with his 4 and 8 inch lines. My local nitpick with it is if we actually get 12-16", that means there was little or no mixing. I think AOO-UNV corridor is in the 6-10" range if we get a more extensive wintry mix period. I doubt we get a foot plus AND a significant ice storm.  

Exactly. How is someone getting 16" of snow AND "a significant portion of the event" ice? 

Is he expecting 4" of QPF?

29 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I put very little stock in my point and click but right now I'm hugging the crap out of it. 4"-8"!

Me too.

Saturday
Snow, mainly after 10am. High near 27. East wind 6 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.
Saturday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 17. East wind 8 to 13 mph becoming north after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.
Sunday
Snow, mainly before 7am, then a slight chance of light snow after 1pm. High near 20. Wind chill values as low as -5. Northwest wind 13 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

39 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

I’ve been on the January 1994 analog all week.  Today is the first of the 4 consecutive record lows at mdt that culminates with -22F on the 21st.

It's a slight difference based on synoptics...but the deep low over eastern O Canada certainly is driving cold directly to these parts!  Clear, calm, crisp; was eerily cold that morning!

012000 (1).png

9 minutes ago, Caveman said:

It's a slight difference based on synoptics...but the deep low over eastern O Canada certainly is driving cold directly to these parts!  Clear, calm, crisp; was eerily cold that morning!

012000 (1).png

My recollection of those mornings here was a little different. We had -22 air temps but -60 chill factors. So not super calm in Pgh