• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Central PA - Winter 2018-19

pasnownut

looking at model trends the last couple of days, and now the 00z nam, I have to admit, the all snow/snow ice line model trend i think is starting to settle in somewhere from about I-84 near Port Jervis to the Wyoming Valley, State College, Latrobe, and Washington PA. but given past storms, I wouldn't be surprised if it sinks a bit further south. but the weaker system moving through Friday looks like it will set the tone where that snow/mix line sets up.

1 minute ago, daxx said:

It's fun to look at the nam but it is borderline silly to even take it serious for the Saturday storm.

I think it is good for trends and within a day or two of an event, which we are not at now, I will take it over anything else except maybe the HRRR.   It's QPF totals are usually too high. 

10 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

NAM is showing less than 0.10" total qpf.  That's drier than earlier runs.  Not that I care whether I get 1" or 2" with the prospect of the weekend storm.

One other thing I remembered about noteworthy sleet storms in my life.  The 1993 superstorm was a huge sleet producer for me in north Jersey.  After accumulating 13" of snow there was heavy heavy sleet for hours.  Had to be 6" of sleet from that storm easily.

The Icon is also very dry now for tomorrow night.  If GFS shows similar there may not be a WAA. 

3 minutes ago, Jim Marusak said:

looking at model trends the last couple of days, and now the 00z nam, I have to admit, the all snow/snow ice line model trend i think is starting to settle in somewhere from about I-84 near Port Jervis to the Wyoming Valley, State College, Latrobe, and Washington PA. but given past storms, I wouldn't be surprised if it sinks a bit further south. but the weaker system moving through Friday looks like it will set the tone where that snow/mix line sets up.

Thanks Jim for sharing your thoughts! Tonight it appears the Nam & the GFS are drinking the same Koolaid .

4 minutes ago, pawatch said:

Thanks Jim for sharing your thoughts! Tonight it appears the Nam & the GFS are drinking the same Koolaid .

actually, the GFS seemed to be the outlier after the 18Z runs, and the 00Z seems to also be there. The 12Z Euro, at least from weather.us, shows a similar precip type pattern to the 00Z NAM, albeit a bit further south than the NAM. at least to me, the GFS is the one that is drinking some rather nasty spiked kool aid, and should be discounted. even the 12Z GGem was starting to come towards being inline with the euro. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jim Marusak said:

actually, the GFS seemed to be the outlier after the 18Z runs, and the 00Z seems to also be there. The 12Z Euro, at least from weather.us, shows a similar precip type pattern to the 00Z NAM, albeit a bit further south than the NAM. at least to me, the GFS is the one that is drinking some rather nasty spiked kool aid, and should be discounted. even the 12Z GGem was starting to come towards being inline with the euro. 

Yea, the apparent disdain for the Nam is surprising to me.  I fully expect the GFS to change drastically each run and never expect any consistency from it.   

Tropical Tidbits snow maps are notorious for showing excessive snow totals below what would be the mixing line. It says right on the map "includes sleet", and we know sleet doesn't accumulate anywhere near a 10:1 ratio. 

Here's Accuweather's 24 hour with Kuchera.

nam-null--usne-84-C-kuchera24_whitecounty.thumb.png.975ea910a8f1196c328b5fbfa53713f3.png

That's probably a more accurate representation of accums given the p-type arrangement that the NAM had. Just using as an example really.. the only thing I really took from the NAM at this range is that it kept the low below PA. 

1 minute ago, MAG5035 said:

Tropical Tidbits snow maps are notorious for showing excessive snow totals below what would be the mixing line. It says right on the map "includes sleet", and we know sleet doesn't accumulate anywhere near a 10:1 ratio. 

nam-null--usne-84-C-kuchera24_whitecounty.thumb.png.975ea910a8f1196c328b5fbfa53713f3.png

That's probably a more accurate representation of accums given the p-type arrangement that the NAM had. Just using as an example really.. the only thing I really took from the NAM at this range is that it kept the low below PA. 

Wow...just a little different than some of the other maps.

1 minute ago, MAG5035 said:

Thanks you for some explanation.  That snow map did not at all match the column and 2M temps the NAM showed. 

2 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

That would be brutal....I’ll jump into the Allegheny, mon, and Ohio in the same night.

i have to get to bed in a little bit with work in the morning. but one thing that I am noting with some of the storm tracks and what the model profiles are showing. you may want to keep an eye on the cPk air mass up in Quebec. something about this setup is starting to look a bit like Valentine's Day 2007. but I am hoping the trend is slowly south. Otherwise, you may want to start thinking of staying off I-78 between the Lehigh Valley and Ft Indiantown Gap during this storm.