• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2018-19

pasnownut

What i will say, is I'm not convinced of anything for weekend yet. 

Look at the HP.  It held ground a bit better for the Germans.  While I put little stock in it, it keeps my eyes turned.

and for those in the MA who were digging out from the 5 day earlier rainstorm, thats all I'm getting at.  Flow at 500 a little less ridgy, so flatter progression helps us on the fringe....lunatic fringe.

28 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

but a little better at 500 and 700.  850's still cooked, but a tick better than 12z.  Taken verbatim, would argue for a little improvement at surface.  

Yes, I'm scraping for scraps down here.  I know

I personally do not think you are on to scraps.  You have several models staying all frozen Saturday so it is something to consider.   I was really looking forward to a big all snow event...on the weekend so travel is not as disrupted, etc...so that is why I feel a bit down about this right now.  I accidentally clicked on the NY forum a bit ago and the words Ben Stiller flashed in front of my face...they are talking about the Thunder mode (Tropic Thunder joke) l in their forum so they going through the same thing as us despite being in the bulleye (though GFS is going to rain on some of them as well).

EDIT-GFS also has a coastal for mid week next week...apps runner transfers over. 

28 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

I personally do not think you are on to scraps.  You have several models staying all frozen Saturday so it is something to consider.   I was really looking forward to a big all snow event...on the weekend so travel is not as disrupted, etc...so that is why I feel a bit down about this right now.  I accidentally clicked on the NY forum a bit ago and the words Ben Stiller flashed in front of my face...they are talking about the Thunder mode (Tropic Thunder joke) l in their forum so they going through the same thing as us despite being in the bulleye (though GFS is going to rain on some of them as well).

EDIT-GFS also has a coastal for mid week next week...apps runner transfers over. 

Mind you, I'm hugging foreigners, and pissed as the home team models (NAM still beyond extrapolation mode).

I do feel there is a twinge of atmospheric memory voodo in the meteo card deck, as we've seen it in the past w/ evolution and where it wants to snow in a given year.  500 flow on most models is west of us, but any further flattening of the flow, and HP working its magic as some models suggest, at least give my argument a pinch of validity and keep us in some form of frozen.  If we thump then ice I'm totally fine with it, as I know we likely cannot correct for the big snow you (and I) both want. 

I'm trying to find our way out of gully washers....sorta had our fill eh?

53 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

What i will say, is I'm not convinced of anything for weekend yet. 

Look at the HP.  It held ground a bit better for the Germans.  While I put little stock in it, it keeps my eyes turned.

and for those in the MA who were digging out from the 5 day earlier rainstorm, thats all I'm getting at.  Flow at 500 a little less ridgy, so flatter progression helps us on the fringe....lunatic fringe.

Long way to go !

Real Artic air tends to push its way around.

The preceding air mass before the event is a normal January air mass which is plenty cold.

We do Not have an intensifying low bombing out towards the Great Lakes. The existing cold will more than likely hold much longer than modeled & the new arctic air mass will likely flex its muscles to push this storm further south.

Just like our November storm, if precip arrives in a wall of heavy precip, we could put down a solid several inch front end thump. Remember that storm was supposed to mix with ice & then go to plain rain ?

Also, the heavy snow currently on the non- supportive models is not too far to the north right now.

We also DO still have model support for heavy snow with the 2nd best model for a few runs in a row with the UKMET. I also just saw that the ICON is looking good for snow.

The Euro on Sunday afternoon had 2 feet of snow for the LSV & had us in the bullseye for a few runs prior. The GFS also had several runs a couple of days ago with us in the bullseye.

This far from over !

• Like 1

Until the UKIE and ICON completely abandon their snow>ZR>end scenarios I am siding with you (nut) and not giving up hope for a more frozen solution.  Like you said a decent snow over to zr then ending without it ever going to plain rain is totally acceptable.  As others have said, the zr coating locks in the cold and slows down the melting process tremendously.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Until the UKIE and ICON completely abandon their snow>ZR>end scenarios I am siding with you (nut) and not giving up hope for a more frozen solution.  Like you said a decent snow over to zr then ending without it ever going to plain rain is totally acceptable.  As others have said, the zr coating locks in the cold and slows down the melting process tremendously.

I’m on this team too !

6 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Long way to go !

Real Artic air tends to push its way around.

The preceding air mass before the event is a normal January air mass which is plenty cold.

We do Not have an intensifying low bombing out towards the Great Lakes. The existing cold will more than likely hold much longer than modeled & the new arctic air mass will likely flex its muscles to push this storm further south.

Just like our November storm, if precip arrives in a wall of heavy precip, we could put down a solid several inch front end thump. Remember that storm was supposed to mix with ice & then go to plain rain ?

Also, the heavy snow currently on the non- supportive models is not too far to the north right now.

We also DO still have model support for heavy snow with the 2nd best model for a few runs in a row with the UKMET. I also just saw that the ICON is looking good for snow.

The Euro on Sunday afternoon had 2 feet of snow for the LSV & had us in the bullseye for a few runs prior. The GFS also had several runs a couple of days ago with us in the bullseye.

This far from over !

Hey Blizz...you're about to hit your first forum milestone.  I'm only 5 posts behind you so we'll both hit it tonight most likely.  So congrats to both of us!

I was wondering what JB has had to say about the weekend setup.  Is there anything you are able to share with us from him?

33 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Hey Blizz...you're about to hit your first forum milestone.  I'm only 5 posts behind you so we'll both hit it tonight most likely.  So congrats to both of us!

I was wondering what JB has had to say about the weekend setup.  Is there anything you are able to share with us from him?

That reminds, it seems the post counts were reset at some point.  Maybe in the last 5 years or 6 years, they reset for at least some people.  Does anyone know what happened? 

37 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

That’s great- Congrats as well!

This place has been buzzing with activity the last few days. Let’s keep it going!

As for JB, in this mornings video, he thought some of the modeled snow totals seemed too high. He thought CTP would land in the 3-6 inch snow range followed by Ice & rain to the south & east. He said it all depends on the second wave. If that develops as the Artic cold arrives, the snow totals especially to the south & east would increase. He didn’t think a large snowfall for our area was on the table because of a short term EPO spike this weekend.

He is very optimistic about the overall pattern moving forward & thinks all of us will end up with above average snow.

• Like 1