Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Central PA - Winter 2018-19

pasnownut

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Flurries have just returned here.

You are correct about Harrisburg hitting -22. I remember that clearly. What I don't remember and what I'm curious about is how low did Thomasville get. Have to think they approached -30.

I remember being at Penn State (Altoona) for my freshman year and things were shut down.  Before that, I believe that PSU shutting down at all was unheard of.  I'll never forget going outside after the worst was over and 18 degrees felt like a heat wave.  Crazy.

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

You are correct about Harrisburg hitting -22. I remember that clearly. What I don't remember and what I'm curious about is how low did Thomasville get. Have to think they approached -30.

Good question for THV.   If it was a calm decoupling night then it prob got that cold.   If it was windy it may have stayed up closer to -22 or higher.    The coldest I’ve recorded since starting Coop here in 2008 was -10 twice.   

'Morning all.  I was surprised to see that another whole inch of snow fell after my midnight report giving me a storm total of 2.3".  The snow melted down to 0.18" producing a liquid equivalent of 13:1.

For those of you dying to know the answer to my trivia question..."she's breaking up!...she's breaking up!!!" was spoken by Lee Majors in the intro sequence from the 6 Million Dollar Man.  You'd probably have to be 50 or older to have known the answer to that as that show was from the 70's.

Regarding next weekend I think the models will come around to a more snowy outcome.  If anything it was looking like a rain to ice to snow storm setup with the arctic air invading and producing more frozen than liquid.  I realize we're talking Day 6-7 so who really knows at this point.  That arctic air shown for one week beyond next weekend is insane.  The coldest temperature I have ever experienced anywhere was staying at a friend's house up in central New Hampshire many years ago.  It was 17 below and I took a walk and was in complete disbelief over how bitter the cold felt.  While living in northern NJ I measured -8 as the coldest ever on two occasions, one being on that Jan 1994 morning.

Finally, for those talking about the -22 at MDT I'm nearly positive the winds were calm and it was from radiational cooling because there was a deep snow cover preceding those temps.

'Morning all.  I was surprised to see that another whole inch of snow fell after my midnight report giving me a storm total of 2.3".  The snow melted down to 0.18" producing a liquid equivalent of 13:1.
For those of you dying to know the answer to my trivia question..."she's breaking up!...she's breaking up!!!" was spoken by Lee Majors in the intro sequence from the 6 Million Dollar Man.  You'd probably have to be 50 or older to have known the answer to that as that show was from the 70's.
Regarding next weekend I think the models will come around to a more snowy outcome.  If anything it was looking like a rain to ice to snow storm setup with the arctic air invading and producing more frozen than liquid.  I realize we're talking Day 6-7 so who really knows at this point.  That arctic air shown for one week beyond next weekend is insane.  The coldest temperature I have ever experienced anywhere was staying at a friend's house up in central New Hampshire many years ago.  It was 17 below and I took a walk and was in complete disbelief over how bitter the cold felt.  While living in northern NJ I measured -8 as the coldest ever on two occasions, one being on that Jan 1994 morning.
Finally, for those talking about the -22 at MDT I'm nearly positive the winds were calm and it was from radiational cooling because there was a deep snow cover preceding those temps.

I don’t think MDT or any location east of mountains could get to -22F with a wind.

I saw some asking earlier about the overnight Euro for next weekend. The storm starts as heavy snow before mixing with sleet for a period & then ends as snow. Here is the Euro, the EPS & its Control run.

This looks like a major storm & the bullseye will probably shift around over the next few days.

This storm last night just got our winter party started!

AA2E3793-49ED-4EAD-B579-7193D99ADD07.png

A93F423D-83E5-43B9-BD6B-070AD6938A81.png

E46B1984-7972-4A23-BEA6-01FD76A4BC24.png

E542AC2B-A3AA-46CD-84C1-F554D3558B41.png

Just barely got to 2" by this morning. We'll see if we can add to that here this afternoon as radar trends suggest a new period of snow might be imminent with snow building back in western PA towards Pittsburgh (and even all the way up to near Clearfield and Punxy). 

7 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Just barely got to 2" by this morning. We'll see if we can add to that here this afternoon as radar trends suggest a new period of snow might be imminent with snow building back in western PA towards Pittsburgh (and even all the way up to near Clearfield and Punxy). 

Light snow had started again in Marysville!

The mammoth model guidances a week out have a weird knack for verifying. I remember the 2017 storm, eviscerating a local Met on social media (not our local Met) for posting a run of the Euro a week out that showed 36 inches of snow in MDT. I went off saying that was like yelling "Fire" in a theatre a week out. I was wrong.

2010 storms also had mammoth runs verify a week out. It's happened enough to take seriously.

44 minutes ago, daxx said:

Oh man... The 12z Euro run is kinda epic late week and next weekend. Few inches Thursday night and Friday.   Then a lot of snow next weekend. Southeastern part of the lsv would probably mix but still a good amount of snow. Let's hope it's right!

Think some interior areas N&W of Blue Mountain get over 2?

Looks like a prolific winter storm...and perhaps not the last...

5 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

My thermometer that morning (outside and sheltered) hit -28F and then proceeded to do a 1 hour walk about...it was surreal!  The snow was dry; everything was "crunchy"...nothing I've really experienced before and likely not again.  Dead calm air and very quiet.  I remember everything being just so brittle and "crunchy"...

1 hour ago, Caveman said:

My thermometer that morning (outside and sheltered) hit -28F and then proceeded to do a 1 hour walk about...it was surreal!  The snow was dry; everything was "crunchy"...nothing I've really experienced before and likely not again.  Dead calm air and very quiet.  I remember everything being just so brittle and "crunchy"...

Go O's! :)

Thanks for the information. I remember exactly what you described. Never thought I'd see those temperatures around here. As much as I love winter I don't know that I need to see it THAT cold again...