Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Winter 2018-19

pasnownut

3 hours ago, Flatheadsickness said:

looks like a few may see some unexpected flakes this morning . I see some SS forming on radar along the warm front in sw Pa. moveing ENE. Its light may not be getting to the ground. We now also will be under an advisory tonight for some ice may be even some flakes. Hope the 14th pans out. Looks like winter is starting to try to make a come back.  

I was just coming on to post about the WWA.  Would be surprised to see too many icing issues with the warm temps lately but still interesting.  

Everyone keeps saying the 13th and 14th for the weekend storm...GFS would have snow moving in during Saturday the 12th. 

25 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

I was just coming on to post about the WWA.  Would be surprised to see too many icing issues with the warm temps lately but still interesting.  

Everyone keeps saying the 13th and 14th for the weekend storm...GFS would have snow moving in during Saturday the 12th. 

Interesting modeling war as the Euro wants no part of this save for coastal Delmarva. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

My annual reminder in case you fellas forgot this storm! Best birthday gift of all time!

0888C743-645D-422A-BC9C-CCAC5FDE2814.jpeg

If I remember correctly, every (or almost) computer model had that storm sliding off well to our south until the last 36-48 hours before game time. Paul Knight was on Weather World during the week preceding the storm (it hit on a Sunday) and it was on Wednesday's show that he went against all models and other mets and called for a flush hit. And at least for the southeastern 2/3 of the Commonwealth, flush hit it was. It was one of the great classic storms where the initial forecast was for 3"-6", which was the call late Friday night. Saturday morning it went up to 6"-12". Saturday night it was 12"+, and by Sunday morning it was something like 20"-30". It was super cold too...woke up to moderate snow first thing Sunday morning with an air temperature of 10. 

Ended up with 30". Got 2" more on Tuesday and then 10" more on Friday. 42" that week was the most weekly snow I ever saw until 2/5 - 2/10/2010 when I got 44". 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bubbler86 said:

I am flying INTO MDT at 11AM Saturday morning so make sure your "trying" keeps that stuff out of here until later in the day Saturday.  :-)

You couldn't time it better.  Looks like Saturday night is when the action would start.  Still way too far out to pin down but, I'm glad my gut was right about this one....so far. Long ways from the finish line, but I like where we are.  HP to the north is coming in stronger, and while thats good...it can also be too good, and suppress this system.  Something to watch.  GFS is perfect evolution, but 5+ days out, so yeah, i'm nervous.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

If I remember correctly, every (or almost) computer model had that storm sliding off well to our south until the last 36-48 hours before game time. Paul Knight was on Weather World during the week preceding the storm (it hit on a Sunday) and it was on Wednesday's show that he went against all models and other mets and called for a flush hit. And at least for the southeastern 2/3 of the Commonwealth, flush hit it was. It was one of the great classic storms where the initial forecast was for 3"-6", which was the call late Friday night. Saturday morning it went up to 6"-12". Saturday night it was 12"+, and by Sunday morning it was something like 20"-30". It was super cold too...woke up to moderate snow first thing Sunday morning with an air temperature of 10. 

Ended up with 30". Got 2" more on Tuesday and then 10" more on Friday. 42" that week was the most weekly snow I ever saw until 2/5 - 2/10/2010 when I got 44". 

That is my exact memory of snow totals from that wonderful week. I remember listening to the radio as my mom and I left our house in Willow Street to go grocery shopping at John Herr's in Millersville. During the drive, they announced increasing snow totals. It was a beautiful sunny Saturday morning...before a beautiful snowy week!

50 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

That is my exact memory of snow totals from that wonderful week. I remember listening to the radio as my mom and I left our house in Willow Street to go grocery shopping at John Herr's in Millersville. During the drive, they announced increasing snow totals. It was a beautiful sunny Saturday morning...before a beautiful snowy week!

That's where we shopped when I was growing up! :)

I would love a repeat of '96...or '83...or '78. Or a whole bunch of storms from the past 15 years or so. Hopefully this upcoming pattern delivers in a big way. Tired of mud and high water, that's for sure. 

• Like 1

Brief period of sleet mixed with some snowflakes for the past 15 minutes.  Enough to whiten my snowboard, and the most frozen precip since November!  :)  Alas, for now radar shows it about to end over me and I see brightening skies to my west.

Temp 31.1 but with dew point of 16.  Should make for some interesting stuff this evening when the real precip arrives if temps remain wet-bulbed below freezing.

50 minutes ago, pawatch said:

GFS looking better...Going to be a long week. A lot is going to depend on the timing of the southern stream

Dont forget to watch the NS evolution, as that little shortwave has been sorta muckin up the energy coming at us from the Southwest.  We need the HP timed right w/ no embedded shortwave.  just clean cold feed.  1042 is a biggun and what 12z was showing. 

2 hours ago, Voyager said:

I was just going to ask if that line was putting anything down.

It sure did back this way. A light glaze of freezing rain and sleet is likely the culprit for multiple crashes/road closures this morning up in Cambria County. One on US 219 (between Johnstown and Ebensburg) and the other on US 22 (Between Altoona and Ebensburg)

https://wjactv.com/news/local/sr-219-at-new-germany-closed-for-extended-period-of-time?fbclid=IwAR0Xa5fYn061deH-HI56i8fgwGcvWjhLZvIsrFsVmGtLnrpdTPNxGkMgOUk

a670c84e-5893-448d-b793-a631c770544d-large16x9_219NewGermanyRollover.png.3dc09e90cb63b3ad9d8033cbfb8a516d.png

https://wjactv.com/news/local/penndot-crash-on-rt-22-near-cresson-closes-at-least-one-westbound-lane-lane

1204576176_Tractortrailercrash_1546883244564.jfif_66767546_ver1.0_640_360.jpg.20c9bbc9ac87fec4c702d4f45c6a5b0d.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daxx said:

One thing is for sure the Euro is definitely not warm over the next ten days, except for tomorrow. We are definitely in a different pattern than we were.

You all can thank me for bringing it back east from the southwest. I hit snow in El Paso, had frost and mid 20s temps in the Fresno area, single digits temps from  Flagstaff AZ to Gallup NM, and finally more snow in Oklahoma City. Now that I'm home, it's gonna get cold here now...lol

18 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

It sure did back this way. A light glaze of freezing rain and sleet is likely the culprit for multiple crashes/road closures this morning up in Cambria County. One on US 219 (between Johnstown and Ebensburg) and the other on US 22 (Between Altoona and Ebensburg)

https://wjactv.com/news/local/sr-219-at-new-germany-closed-for-extended-period-of-time?fbclid=IwAR0Xa5fYn061deH-HI56i8fgwGcvWjhLZvIsrFsVmGtLnrpdTPNxGkMgOUk

a670c84e-5893-448d-b793-a631c770544d-large16x9_219NewGermanyRollover.png.3dc09e90cb63b3ad9d8033cbfb8a516d.png

https://wjactv.com/news/local/penndot-crash-on-rt-22-near-cresson-closes-at-least-one-westbound-lane-lane

1204576176_Tractortrailercrash_1546883244564.jfif_66767546_ver1.0_640_360.jpg.20c9bbc9ac87fec4c702d4f45c6a5b0d.jpg

Yikes. That's why winter and me don't get along so well ..

6 minutes ago, Voyager said:

You all can thank me for bring it back east from the southwest. I hit snow in El Paso, had frost and mid 20s temps in the Fresno area, single digits temps from  Flagstaff AZ to Gallup NM, and finally more snow in Oklahoma City. Now that I'm home, it's gonna get cold here now...lol

Thank you 

24 minutes ago, Voyager said:

You all can thank me for bringing it back east from the southwest. I hit snow in El Paso, had frost and mid 20s temps in the Fresno area, single digits temps from  Flagstaff AZ to Gallup NM, and finally more snow in Oklahoma City. Now that I'm home, it's gonna get cold here now...lol

Does that mean when you leave it will get warm again?  If so please stay!!

28 minutes ago, daxx said:

Does that mean when you leave it will get warm again?  If so please stay!!

lol...

The cold seems to follow me around the country, so who knows. Last spring it was the same way. every time I went west a cold storm would come in off the Pacific within a day of my arrival.