• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Christmas Eve light snowfall discussion/obs

Zelocita Weather

^^ @donsutherland1 We have a little bit more than that 35 miles north and it stuck to the trees better, pavement about equal. There's a definite Hallmark Card kind of quality to it. 

It has been snowing lightly since my last post, not quite enough to overcome melting so I don't know if it will get to 1", sure would be nice though just because...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RU848789 said:

I'm in Charlotte for Christmas, so missing this little event - radar looked like it had some snow for us awhile ago, but looks like rain now.  Did we get any snow in our neck of the woods (Edison area)?   

Headed to Charlotte as well. Just rain here in Plainfield, if it did snow it didnt stick

30 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

Maybe from the perspective of a NYer. Not from the perspective of literal, actual geographical location.

Brooklyn and Queens are part of Long Island.  Some people are just geographically challenged lol- it's funny- I used to tell people this when I was in grade school and some very smart people had no idea what I was talking about when I said Brooklyn and Queens are part of Long Island.  Long Island is an island, not a political designation.  New York City consists of all or parts of three islands and one mainland county (The Bronx).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

34 with now all snow in wantagh. I was not expecting this

It snowed here too, but none of it stuck since the temps were in the mid 30s and it didn't snow hard.

According to what I heard on TWC, this would be considered a "White Christmas" if it happened tomorrow, since all you need on Christmas is a flake in the air?   But if it fell before Christmas, there needs to be 1 inch on the ground?   Who made up this definition lol?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

It snowed here too, but none of it stuck since the temps were in the mid 30s and it didn't snow hard.

According to what I heard on TWC, this would be considered a "White Christmas" if it happened tomorrow, since all you need on Christmas is a flake in the air?   But if it fell before Christmas, there needs to be 1 inch on the ground?   Who made up this definition lol?

A white Christmas has 2.5 cm/1" of snow. A trace of snow is not a White Christmas.

Here's a link describing the definition from the NOAA: https://www.climate.gov/news-features/featured-images/are-you-dreaming-white-christmas

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

A white Christmas has 2.5 cm/1 cm of snow. A trace of snow is not a White Christmas.

Here's a link describing the definition from the NOAA: https://www.climate.gov/news-features/featured-images/are-you-dreaming-white-christmas

You have a typo: it's 2.5 cm/1.0" of snow.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

A white Christmas has 2.5 cm/1 cm of snow. A trace of snow is not a White Christmas.

Thanks Don, so if it's snowing on Christmas there still has to be a minimum of 1 inch of snow on the ground by midnight, Dec 26th?

56 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Brooklyn and Queens are part of Long Island.  Some people are just geographically challenged lol- it's funny- I used to tell people this when I was in grade school and some very smart people had no idea what I was talking about when I said Brooklyn and Queens are part of Long Island.  Long Island is an island, not a political designation.  New York City consists of all or parts of three islands and one mainland county (The Bronx).

This has always driven me nuts. I've gone so far as to pull out a map and show people but they still argue that the actual geography doesn't matter :facepalm:  When I worked downtown it was also a struggle to explain that just because rocks stick out of the ground in the Bronx that doesn't make it upstate. They'd say if there are mountains then it's upstate...

Well it started snowing hard enough that it's accumulating again on snow that's already on the ground. It has almost entirely melted off paved/concrete areas but is nice and thick on everything else. 

2 hours ago, purduewx80 said:

Not true considering that JFK and LGA are on LI. 

Geographically yes. When discussing weather in the area no. For example, read Uptons AFDs. Even last night they referred to immediate NYC metro vs Long Island (which worked out well). When discussing weather, immediate nyc metro includes queens and bk, while LI refers to Nassau and Suffolk. 

But thanks for pointing that out for me, I’ve only lived here for 34 years.. I always thought there was a river on the Nassau queens border. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2