Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2019

Upstate Tiger

5 minutes ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

Already has been a pretty good winter here and it’s mid Jan. 15+ inches of snow and 3 ice storms. More than MA or NE for that matter. 

Idk,  lots of places in the northeast are way over 15” and there is a huge storm brewing right now about to drop 1 to 2 more feet in many places.  

Even saying the models warmed significantly is a bit facetious. They went back to the solution they’ve been showing for quite a while now, after yesterday’s bonkers midday runs and whatever the hell the GFS was trying to do last night. Hanging your entire outlook on individual OP runs is ridiculous normally, and even more so at a time as chaotic as this. 

• Like 4

Agreed.   I don’t get the panic over a model run.  One second it’s “too high” and the next it’s “too low”.  

I do enjoy this board immensely and it’s shch a great resource!   Long time lurker....

I’m excited about the pattern and the long term indicies look fantastic!   It really seems this will be a period where the op runs won’t pick up a storm signal until 5-6 days out.   I think we will have a great run into early March!   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kvegas-wx said:

@Bob Chill, paging Bob Chill, you have been invited to play a round of golf in February down in the Triad.  Please delete your aforementioned historic cold posts, grab those clubs and head on down.  I hear there may also be some great mullet fishing as well.  Lol!!

Here's the eps d10-15 h5  and 850 means. I don't like fishing or golf when it's cold so maybe in March or we can meet in Phoenix in Feb?

6uJsX8L.png

SRcBrLK.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

As I have said before, it does not look promising at all for a SE winter storm with the upcoming pattern. It will either be clipper city or a conus wide trough and cutters. Historic winter!

Its already been a historic winter for our as area, even if it doesn't snow another inch...

42 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

I have to buy one of those crystal balls you guys seemingly own.

The crystal ball is climatology. Odds are it's not going to snow here regardless of the pattern. I guess chances increase over the shut out pattern we were in. But are still slim and its always a fly in the ointment. You just have to find it.

28 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

Its already been a historic winter for our as area, even if it doesn't snow another inch...

Not even close to historic. Half the board hasn't seen a flake. And temps have been above average the entire time so far. Dec was +1-3 depending on location and Jan is +5 so far, although that looks to surely plummet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Waiting on snow said:

Not even close to historic. Half the board hasn't seen a flake. And temps have been above average the entire time so far. Dec was +1-3 depending on location and Jan is +5 so far, although that looks to surely plummet.

JB promised me a -5 winter as a whole!? That’s going swimmingly 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Waiting on snow said:

I get that some on this board has had a rough time since 14,

While I haven't had the epic year Big Frosty has had,

It's been pretty good for me here in Northern Greenville county.

I had 6 inches of Snow in December and ice last Saturday.

I believe that most on this board will see at least 1 more moderate winter storm before seasons end.

22 minutes ago, Billypg70 said:

I had 6 inches of Snow and ice last Saturday.

I believe that most on this board will see at least 1 more moderate winter storm before seasons end.

I wouldnt be cashing any checks quite yet.  If we end up with a quick flip to arctic circle-like conditions for a couple weeks (supression city storm track) it could flip right back to warm and wet just as fast.  We could be sitting here shivering under crystal blue skies on Feb 1st looking at indices calling for an early March warmup.  Timing of systems during those transitions are likely our best bet.  I mean really, how often to we get sustained blocking anymore? 

25 minutes ago, Billypg70 said:

I had 6 inches of Snow and ice last Saturday.

You had 6" of snow last Saturday?

3 minutes ago, NC_hailstorm said:

Ukie has that piece of energy(1009 low)in Alberta at day 6,same thing the GFS and CMC show diving south/southeast to the gulf later on.

Bout the only thing to watch at the moment.

If it just had something to dive into/hit along gom, wed be in big time business. Old front, any stj energy etc

• Like 2

Not sure if it's been mentioned but The long range aside, i think there could be a decent insitu wedge and a chance of  some very light freezing rain  in north ga/western carolinas tuesday night/early wed.. Yes the high moves into a bad spot but we will have the airmass left over from this upcoming cold shot and it will be pretty cold/dry initially. The old gfs is way too warm and would mean zero chance. However the icon, canadian, and euro all hint  or show outright the possibility of some light freezing precip. Despite the bad high placement and no additional caa, winds will be easterly in the low levels and should lock in the cold pool...assuming there is enough precip to cool it down. 

Once again it might depend on how warm things get tuesday. Gfs says not a chance in hell so won't even bother while the other models show 35 to 41 in general but cooling back down to low to mid 30s by evening in ga and upper 20s/low 30s in the carolinas with dewpoints rising from single digits/low teens tue to teens/20s by evening. The euro keeps being the most aggressive with precip tuesday night showing light freezing rain in far ne ga/upstate by 9pm. 

Overall it's only a small chance and even if it happens it won't amount to a whole lot since precip amounts look very light (less than a tenth) and temps quickly warm up but figured i'd mention it anyway.  Don't be surprised if we get stuck in the mid to upper 30s all day since in setups like this, the cold pools are really hard to dislodge/warm up. 

• Like 2

• Wow unpinned and locked this topic