• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2019

Upstate Tiger

The operational models look meh at best in the long range. It sets the trough up too far west giving us mostly SE flow and rain while storms cut through the Ohio valley then somewhat colder behind them but nothing remarkable.. Some pattern change if it comes to fruition. 

Yeah not really any need to model watch the operational runs at this point, it's not healthy.  Ensembles look good long range, so hopefully they stay that way.  Central US pattern change is happening this weekend.  Ours seems about a week later. Strangely, the euro weeklies look just about right on time so far.  Just have to wait until the end of the month for the SE. 

Just hurts losing most of January, and waiting sucks.  But it could be worth it if the weeklies come to fruition.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

Yeah not really any need to model watch the operational runs at this point, it's not healthy.  Ensembles look good long range, so hopefully they stay that way.  Central US pattern change is happening this weekend.  Ours seems about a week later. Strangely, the euro weeklies look just about right on time so far.  Just have to wait until the end of the month for the SE. 

Just hurts losing most of January, and waiting sucks.  But it could be worth it if the weeklies come to fruition.  

Pattern change 2 weeks away again. Wow that's a shocker! Wouldn't have seen that coming!

• Sad 2

I have a question for you who are watching the operational models instead of looking at the overall picture.  Why are you putting faith in something that changes from run to run-- DAILY, not every other day or so, but sometimes 2-3 times daily?  It is plain to see , even for just a geek like me without the credentials that Sunday starts the ball rolling with the cold train that has been advertised.  After that with the snow that is going to be put down, the cold just gets deeper and deeper.  The models are not picking that up, and common sense says otherwise and the big picture does too....  Also we have History and similar years and patterns to go by for us to understand that a Modili winter means moisture and cold for the East and S East....

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Looking to the skies said:

I have a question for you who are watching the operational models instead of looking at the overall picture.  Why are you putting faith in something that changes from run to run-- DAILY, not every other day or so, but sometimes 2-3 times daily?  It is plain to see , even for just a geek like me without the credentials that Sunday starts the ball rolling with the cold train that has been advertised.  After that with the snow that is going to be put down, the cold just gets deeper and deeper.  The models are not picking that up, and common sense says otherwise and the big picture does too....  Also we have History and similar years and patterns to go by for us to understand that a Modili winter means moisture and cold for the East and S East....

I agree with what you say about op models. I can't speak for anyone but me, but this is the south. I always look for the fly in the ointment and it's usually there. When it comes to winterstorms I usually ride the warmest least snowy model because it's usually right. As far as pattern changes I'll believe it when it actually happens. Especially the phantom NAO that always shows up never to materialize. I'm hoping the MJO is not the fly in the ointment now. When it was last in the warm phases and forecast to hit 7 and 8 it took awhile for the ensembles to show it. They had an endless torch and gradually went to colder. Now it's the opposite and I'm hoping the ensembles don't start backing away on any cold pattern once they recognize the MJO in the warm phases. But as I said, that's just me. I'm not a pro by any means. I just look for what can go wrong because it usually does down here.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Looking to the skies said:

Big picture definitely shows a change is underway.  It's not a winter storm pattern for most yet, but that doesn't mean a perfectly-timed event can't happen.  Anyway, longer range tools continue to suggest we're moving in the right direction.  But at some point, the operationals will lock in on that.  When a good winter storm pattern actually gets close enough to worry about, the operational models will pick it up. Right now, they're bouncing around with where they want the trough to set up and where the PV is placed.  So far, they have not locked in on a good winter pattern.  But at least the change is underway, and we look to be stepping down colder.

The good thing is, cold is nearby now, but we're going to have to wait and see if a suppressed flow actually sets up and whether or not we can get the right configuration up north to allow high pressure to set up in a good location.  In the meantime, we can drool over the long range ensembles and hope they're onto something.  Although they often show better depictions than the operational models in the LR, due to smoothing, they should be a bit more accurate this time, given the myriad well-reasoned predictions of a back-loaded winter.  But at some point, when we're really on the doorstep of a good winter storm pattern, the operationals will pick it up and hold it.  We're still probably 10 days away from that at least.  That's probably what the anxiety is about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really not expecting anything here in NW Georgia from this weekend's system.  I do believe the low will be right over us here and any snow will be a flurry or two with the arrival of the artic cold.  But i am very excited for the time period after that.   No matter where or how, if the cold is entrenched, then possibilities or there.  So it is just  a matter of time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

This might trend enough to help eastern NC more than western. we'll see, right now it just looks like a NE paste bomb, SE monsoon, followed by Frigid air.

For this one, I'll be in the mountains up near blowing rock.  Just hoping for some wrap around upslope snow.  It's going to be a strong storm I think so I like my chances. 

This might trend enough to help eastern NC more than western. we'll see, right now it just looks like a NE paste bomb, SE monsoon, followed by Frigid air.

Well, if my local forecast is indicative of what’s to come for Eastern N.C., I have a high of 33° next Monday, followed by 50’s by Wednesday. Some arctic blast. Lasts all of one day before moderating to temps that I’ve seen for the last week. Upper 40’s to low 50’s is not my idea of winter blast. Sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I think the 24th-25th storm is our best bet in the immediate long range. 1040+ high over the NE, low on the gulf coast, arctic air behind, and at least some lingering cold from the initial cold burst. I think the storm is cutting too soon on the GFS with the high where it is.

44 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

The pattern is good but the run sucks. This is the opposite of what we're use to; where we normally need perfectly timed events to get snow. At hour 264 it's a perfectly timed event to turn us all to rain... :(

Generally for us in eastern NC anyways it seems like the models never really pick up on the threat in a meaningful way until its 5-7 days out.....there is potential in the models after Jan 20th. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SnowDawg said:

I think the 24th-25th storm is our best bet in the immediate long range. 1040+ high over the NE, low on the gulf coast, arctic air behind, and at least some lingering cold from the initial cold burst. I think the storm is cutting too soon on the GFS with the high where it is.

Agreed the FV3 showed this storm on Friday as a major miller A on the run 12z January 11. Now the GFS is sniffing one out. I must say I do like the HP placement at this time period

Yep the 10 day euro and eps from 0Z are solid on SER. So thats why tramadoc you see the warmup by next wednesday. Lets all hope that trends away at 12z today. Otherwise we may be finding ourselves head faked again by this post 20th holy grail lock down pattern. Getting a bad feeling in my stomach SER is gonna throw a monkey wrench in things last of Jan into Feb. Clock starts ticking Friday. Have exactly 6 weeks till March1st and we all know what that means. Plus Friday kicks off sun angle season and all that other jibe that comes along with it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CADEffect said:

Agreed the FV3 showed this storm on Friday as a major miller A on the run 12z January 11. Now the GFS is sniffing one out. I must say I do like the HP placement at this time period

Need Euro to get on board. Cause if the SER is there its gonna cut right up to our west. Notice you dont see that on 12z gfs or fv3. So hopefully its gone today on euro and eps

• Wow unpinned and locked this topic