Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2019

Upstate Tiger

Why does the NAO hate us so much?
rZPeNro.gif&key=acb614c9f779121f62fe909d6db4bd9a04ba59a2d626c196618f269b2b19ac62

It knows that there is zero chance of snow for us so it decides to go negative. By the time November rolls around it will either be positive or trending that way. It will then tease us by fooling the models to think that it will go negative during the winter of 2019/2020, but it will remain steadfastly positive through the entire winter only to negative once again in April 2020.
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, tramadoc said:

It knows that there is zero chance of snow for us so it decides to go negative. By the time November rolls around it will either be positive or trending that way. It will then tease us by fooling the models to think that it will go negative during the winter of 2019/2020, but it will remain steadfastly positive through the entire winter only to negative once again in April 2020.

Well, at least it might mean a mild spring & summer.  I'd take that!

14 hours ago, SENC said:

I believe it's 'time" to let this thread die..  Hopefully Fall~Winter 2020 will be much better.. 

God Speed Winter 2018~2019, We "believed" until...   

So you're saying there isn't going to be a mid to long term in 2019???!!  Man I hope you are wrong.  Or else all this hard work I am doing right now is for naught.  Please let me know if you think we only have a few days, or maybe weeks left.  So much to do, so little time!!  

If you want to go kill the winter thread, that's ok.  :P

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well not seeing much good news on the horizon. One day of a wedge on Saturday and then it looks to be an early summer type pattern for the forseeable future with temps around 82/60 for the upstate, or about 10-15 degrees above average! :thumbsdown:  Would love to have a longer cooler spring, maybe keep some 70s/50s for a few weeks but not in the cards. Oh well, at least Accuweather doesn't have me hitting 90 until June 21st! :rolleyes:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/18/2019 at 6:30 PM, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Well not seeing much good news on the horizon. One day of a wedge on Saturday and then it looks to be an early summer type pattern for the forseeable future with temps around 82/60 for the upstate, or about 10-15 degrees above average! :thumbsdown:  Would love to have a longer cooler spring, maybe keep some 70s/50s for a few weeks but not in the cards. Oh well, at least Accuweather doesn't have me hitting 90 until June 21st! :rolleyes:

Sounds like great news. 

On 4/4/2019 at 2:20 PM, tramadoc said:

What happened to this?  85 degree highs in May say no.... I'm afraid we're gonna fry this summer.....

21 hours ago, Tarheel17 said:

Long range GFS is showing a series of good pushes of continental Canadian air from 5/11-5/20 or so. Hoping we can cash that in before summer loads up and locks in.

I would like to bottle some of this weather today and open it up on a 95 degree day in July.

• Like 4

If we had the current/forecasted indices during the winter, we'd be in business. +PNA, -NAO, and -AO.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

I suppose it can still help keep troughs in the east (..which is forecasted), but the farther into spring we get the less south they can push. 

3 hours ago, FallsLake said:

If we had the current/forecasted indices during the winter, we'd be in business. +PNA, -NAO, and -AO.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

I suppose it can still help keep troughs in the east (..which is forecasted), but the farther into spring we get the less south they can push. 

We had that in the winter and the pattern still was crap, due to MJO being in the wrong phases for a cold SE

34 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

We had that in the winter and the pattern still was crap, due to MJO being in the wrong phases for a cold SE

We definitely had the AO negative but the NAO kept to its recent history and stayed mostly positive. We even had the PNA go negative for the month of February (which it had been the one thing we could count on). But (I agree), I also heard folks blame the MJO. 

18 hours ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

:facepalm:

I swear you live on a different planet. 

3 hours ago, NCWX said:

We are very dry here in Wilmington, only at 10.94 inches for the year.  We should be at 17 inches by now. We have gotten 1 inch in the last 2 months.  Goodbye lawn.  

Were only at 6.91" here in Charleston of our normal 15"

• Like 1

• Wow unpinned and locked this topic