Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2019

Upstate Tiger

54 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

I would agree with you there. Salem looks to be one area I'd flag as still having the potential for a significant event here. Just because it may be more localized and fewer posters on this forum will see much of anything, it does not mean some areas could receive a significant storm. 

I'm in a similar situation as y'all.  I'm in Dry Fork, VA...

2 hours ago, Buddy1987 said:

Appreciate your input. My concern is I'm in a rock and a hard place because I could qualify per say for both SE forum and Mid Atlantic with my geography. A lot of times more of the concern in this sub forum is for Raleigh/Charlotte and I-40 and south. Dewpoints up my way are single numbers to low teens signaling this could be more than a nuisance or minor as you cross the NC/VA border with potential for prolonged icing. 

Speaking more for southern VA here... The is a very dense arctic airmass that is moving across the northern parts of the CONUS. This airmass will obviously moderate some, but it will still be very dry and will be hard to scour out once the precipitation begins to fall into it. I've seen some of the best CAD favored areas hang onto below freezing temperatures for an entire duration of an event even with a retreating high. While yes, ZR is self-limiting and the high is transient, these mountain valleys are incredibly hard to "warm" once the low-level cold is locked in with precip falling. 

The lighter precipitation at the start with temps in the mid-20s is very much a concern. 6-8hrs of that and you have a mess. Like usual, I'd be most concerned about the Blue Ridge and areas just to the east.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Disc said:

Speaking more for southern VA here... The is a very dense arctic airmass that is moving across the northern parts of the CONUS. This airmass will obviously moderate some, but it will still be very dry and will be hard to scour out once the precipitation begins to fall into it. I've seen some of the best CAD favored areas hang onto below freezing temperatures for an entire duration of an event even with a retreating high. While yes, ZR is self-limiting and the high is transient, these mountain valleys are incredibly hard to "warm" once the low-level cold is locked in with precip falling. 

The lighter precipitation at the start with temps in the mid-20s is very much a concern. 6-8hrs of that and you have a mess. Like usual, I'd be most concerned about the Blue Ridge and areas just to the east.

Only concern I have and that directly revolves around the fact of whether or not someone actually enjoys ice storms is the placement of the HP and where it is parked. If you're looking for optimal placement you'd like to see Schoharie Valley/Upstate NY for optimal funneling out of the St Lawrence Valley. In contrast NAM has it placed in eastern NY and CT sliding toward SE CT and RI. Although it's not in "optimal position" a 1043 is plenty a strong to supply what is needed before we all warm up. As you alluded to the dense nature of it spells trouble to me as you see 2m temps in SW VA around 10 degrees or so and even low 20s into SW NC mountains. I've been through plenty of these when I lived in CT therefore anytime the models start to show a continued theme of low level cold air being pumped into the area one should take notice. A high that strong can and does over perform to lock in that air. 

1 hour ago, Disc said:

This is all well-stated Disc.  Here is the latest NAM at 925mb showing the wedged in cold banking up against the Blue Ridge

vIWKoGa.gif

• Thanks 1

You've heard of retrograding Greenland blocks that slow the flow down and send everything south...well, here we have a closed low that retrogrades west across northern Greenland, and there appears to be a bit of a fujiwhara effect where our trough over E Canada that is supplying the cold air with the surface high behind it is whip lashed forward into the North Atlantic amidst a super high +NAO regime.  

Any wintry weather in this split-flow setup comes down to impeccable timing (about as good a timing as you can have if it were to work out)

9XX6rAY.gif

hjjCJXb.png

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

0z should be interesting, roll the footage!!

Looks like 0z Nam has the high hauling ass out of there compared to 18z. Pretty pronounced too whereas toward the latter portion of the run 0z has it nova Scotia while 18z still had it in southern new England. Waiting for 2m temps to catch up as the frames are still back at 57hrs

Can someone explain to me with a little more knowledge how we end up with cooler 2m temps in southern va and a good chunk of west central NC with the high exiting stage right compared to 18z? Is there some sort of meso high that's not on the map I am missing allowing damming? 

2 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Can someone explain to me with a little more knowledge how we end up with cooler 2m temps in southern va and a good chunk of west central NC with the high exiting stage right compared to 18z? Is there some sort of meso high that's not on the map I am missing allowing damming? 

In situ wedging. Precip evaporating forms kind of it’s own high pressure, locks in cold, with high already gone

15 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Looks like 0z Nam has the high hauling ass out of there compared to 18z. Pretty pronounced too whereas toward the latter portion of the run 0z has it nova Scotia while 18z still had it in southern new England. Waiting for 2m temps to catch up as the frames are still back at 57hrs

Crushes upstate and NE Ga! Need Lookout! 

• Wow unpinned and locked this topic