Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2019

Upstate Tiger

3 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

I think the December’02 ice storm , was picked up 7+ days out, it’s not impossible 

Last years early December NC special was picked up way in advance as well, especially by the FV3.  Completely conned us about its reliability for the rest of the winter in terms of snowfall.

4 minutes ago, griteater said:

God I loathe these in and out cold snaps that are as quick as Barry Sanders, but I’ll take this 12z Euro hot dog run for now

November made me think this may be the year we slow things down and get some blocking, but then it evaporated.  Still rooting for your outlook though.  But maybe we should be prepared to deal with the in and out perfect timing quick hitters just the same. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

If we kept that look, I would expect a snowier solution(or at least sleet) for most of the piedmont in NC. You dont often see a freezing rain storm that stretches from BHM to RDU.

That was my thoughts for the north GA mtns too. The switch to ice looks too fast to me for that setup. That high is fairly strong and the low isn't tracking inland along the gulf. We rarely ever see ice if there is ice all the way past Atlanta. Typically if we are getting ice, it's just plain rain in Atlanta. I don't doubt we would more than likely finish as ice as usual, but after the majority of precip has fallen as snow/sleet. 

47 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

If that came to fruition, dust off your generators....

I'd rather hold off the crippling ice and have a classic SE storm where we all score something. Last time we had that, was 2014. Other than that, it's all been about, location, location, location... I.e. North of 85. 

High-latitude N Pacific blocking, SE Canada vortex, & an active southern stream are the basic large-scale ingredients that favor wintry wx in the southern US & they might be in place next week. However, timing will ultimately determine if a there's a threat to begin with #ncwx

20 minutes ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:
High-latitude N Pacific blocking, SE Canada vortex, & an active southern stream are the basic large-scale ingredients that favor wintry wx in the southern US & they might be in place next week. However, timing will ultimately determine if a there's a threat to begin with #ncwx

As normal around here :( But glad there is something track! 

Euro has a strong shortwave moving into N.California/S.Oregon at day 4.

Into S.Arizona/N. Mexico at day 6 then into W.Texas at day 7 which produces the gulf low.  Ukie has this piece at day 3/4 but looks more sheared out as it moves south.Whether or not it runs right into a 1043 high remains to be seen but something to track.

• Like 1

To compliment hailstorm's note....Assuming we get the tall western ridge and cold shot as advertised, here's what I'm seeing with the main wave in question off the west coast.  The GFS sucks it into the cold trough that is diving down.  The Euro's cold trough misses the wave, so it has a slower trek west to east across the south.  The UKMet is in between the 2.

At hr144 (Day 6), the GFS has the wave in W Kentucky (sucked into the cold trough)...the UKMet has the wave in W Texas....the winning ticket is the Euro which has the wave in NW Old Mexico.  Kind of fits with the old school bias of northern stream dominant with the GFS and slower/stronger southern stream with the Euro.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ryan1234 said:

I agree, but isn't it just has irresponsible to say you won't see anything? I would rather say, "keep abreast to the latest, as much can and will change."

Here is what she responded to.  My opinion is Burns jumped the gun.  He’s the chief meteorologist in a major city.    He could wait for at least a little more smoke before saying there may be a fire. 

66A8E141-79E3-48A3-8D24-DB24615163A1.jpeg

• Wow unpinned and locked this topic