• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2019

Upstate Tiger

Anyone remember the winter of 2012-2013? It was quite mild as well, and it was a year where an El Nino was predicted but did not develop. 

It seems like this winter has played out much like that one.

Back in this past autumn, it looked an El Nino was a slam dunk. However, this current winter has actually been more Enso Neutral as, at least atmospherically, an El Nino, up to that point, has not really developed. With the chilly November we had, I was actually not surprised if this winter could potentially turn out a bit like 2012-2013 did (November 2012 was a little below normal as well).
In other words, December and January could potentially turn mild despite a colder than normal November, and therefore, the colder than normal forecasts wouldn't as likely pan out.
I think the main reason why February was seasonable or slightly colder than normal in 2013 was that we had a Greenland block come in the back end of that winter. Without that, February would have probably been mild as well. 

Also, meteorologist Ben Noll back this past summer had called the apparent developing El Nino a "head fake." In other words, he did not think one would develop for the 2018-2019 winter. 

Back this past September as well, there were some doubts as well about the El Nino. 
https://www.beefmagazine.com/outlook/doubts-starting-creep-about-el-ni-o-winter

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cheeznado said:

Since winter is probably over here, the focus turns to heavy rain, check out some of these GEFS totals here- could be historic flooding if we really get 10-13" of rain like some of the members have.....

Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 6.49.58 AM.png

06Z 2/14/2019 guidance from the ICON and GFS suggest the heaviest axis of rain will be north of Atlanta. 0Z CMC was also north of Atlanta with the heaviest precip. This seems to suggest the affects on Atlanta will be marginal. Would you agree? Also, what mechanisms would be in play to drop the axis south? It seems to me that the SE ridge is depicted as strengthening through day 10. Wouldn't this push the best lift north as well? I'm thinking mild to warm with maybe up to an 1" of rain for Atlanta would be realistic in that scenario. 

Good thing that December storm was a good one here. Otherwise, I'd be totally blanked for this winter. And it seems once again we had a big storm here and then nothing at all afterwards. It's been that way since 2000. We either have nothing, a couple of decent storms, or one big storm and then nothing at all afterwards. I should have known that was it once we got the big one in December.

Oh, and the FV3 was the best for the December storm, but it has been awful the past month in showing fantasy storms in the 7 to 10 day period that never happen. 

I guess we have severe weather to look forward to now. Hopefully, the models will be better with the severe chances than they were with winter storm chances. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Good thing that December storm was a good one here. Otherwise, I'd be totally blanked for this winter. And it seems once again we had a big storm here and then nothing at all afterwards. It's been that way since 2000. We either have nothing, a couple of decent storms, or one big storm and then nothing at all afterwards. I should have known that was it once we got the big one in December.

Oh, and the FV3 was the best for the December storm, but it has been awful the past month in showing fantasy storms in the 7 to 10 day period that never happen. 

I guess we have severe weather to look forward to now. Hopefully, the models will be better with the severe chances than they were with winter storm chances. 

The 12z FV3 did come in a little colder for next weeks potential event. Would be significant ice for our region. But, I agree it hasn't done well lately.

Freezing rain totals:

aaaa.jpg

With its performance beyond 5 days, it is ludicrous to think you’d replace any model with the FV3. It has repeatedly shown big storms for central NC in the 6-14 range that the others have not shown for the most part.  Maybe I’m just judging my mby, but it’s been terrible.  Way too cold with cold and wintry weather.  Has it performed better elsewhere?

TW 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tarheelwx said:

With its performance beyond 5 days, it is ludicrous to think you’d replace any model with the FV3. It has repeatedly shown big storms for central NC in the 6-14 range that the others have not shown for the most part.  Maybe I’m just judging my mby, but it’s been terrible.  Way too cold with cold and wintry weather.  Has it performed better elsewhere?

TW 

I want to say the FV3 handled the December storm pretty well... We were tracking it for 7-10 days and it never really wavered.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking back the writing was on the wall. El Nino struggled to develop and while Nov and early Dec were colder than average and we did get a snow, the Pac quickly showed its hand for the winter in mid Dec. Tropical forcing was all wrong, strong Pac jet and when the EPO tanked the ridge was too far west and allowed a war. I knew in Dec Jan was toast. Remember saying it on here. But I thought we had plenty of time to save Feb and then the Nino faded. That's a couple years lately El Nino has completely failed. I find it amazing in a warming climate and high SST's we cant even get a legit Nino anymore. Cant remember one since 09-10 that wasn't the crap fest super Nino of a couple years ago.

06Z 2/14/2019 guidance from the ICON and GFS suggest the heaviest axis of rain will be north of Atlanta. 0Z CMC was also north of Atlanta with the heaviest precip. This seems to suggest the affects on Atlanta will be marginal. Would you agree? Also, what mechanisms would be in play to drop the axis south? It seems to me that the SE ridge is depicted as strengthening through day 10. Wouldn't this push the best lift north as well? I'm thinking mild to warm with maybe up to an 1" of rain for Atlanta would be realistic in that scenario. 

I disagree, GEFS, EPS have been very consistent with at least 5" for the whole event. Would be extremely surprised if ATL only got an inch.

• Like 1

RAH Friday afternoon still hints at the slight possibility of a mix Tuesday night.

In general, this pattern will favor high-chance and 
even likely PoPs during much of the long term period, with QPF 
estimates of 1-3 inches of rain from Sun through Fri. The best 
chance for any pause in this wet pattern may be late Monday into 
early Tuesday as we briefly see some drying in the wake of early 
Monday's cold fropa. Otherwise, temps should be warm enough this 
entire period to preclude any P-type concerns other than rain, 
except for a "very brief" period Tuesday night when forecast 
soundings over our western Piedmont counties suggest it may be 
barely cold enough for a "very brief" period of wintry mix with the 
rain. Of course we'll be evaluating that potential during the coming 
days, but for now, expecting most if not all rain as p-type during