Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2019

Upstate Tiger

44 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

If you believe the 6z GFS, no real cold through the 28th, then there’s a rain system up into Indiana on the 29th! Pattern change ?????

Not really, it's a clipper really. But even posting individual panels 10 days out for a single operational run seems silly.

gfs_ptype_slp_east2_43.png

gfs_ptype_slp_east2_45.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, msuwx said:

Not really, it's a clipper really. But even posting individual panels 10 days out for a single operational run seems silly.

gfs_ptype_slp_east2_43.png

gfs_ptype_slp_east2_45.png

Unfortunately though it looks like both the GEFS and the GEPS both break down this so far phantom epic pattern by Feb now. Hard to believe we may screw it up but I guess it is the south.

23 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Pattern is ripe!! If we don’t score between Jan 25 - Feb 5, we suck!

Whats even awesomer, the cold is always pushed back a few days and or backs off of the cold severity, but I guarantee the pattern breakdown to warm, will be right on time or early, and just as warm as models are showing! :(

Just bring on the torch.....  I'd rather be able to enjoy the outdoors than constantly swing and miss down here in the SC rainforest.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, kvegas-wx said:

@Bob Chill, paging Bob Chill, you have been invited to play a round of golf in February down in the Triad.  Please delete your aforementioned historic cold posts, grab those clubs and head on down.  I hear there may also be some great mullet fishing as well.  Lol!!

Everything looked so great yesterday! Biblical cold on both models and only 10 days out!? How dare they change!

Just now, mackerel_sky said:

Everything looked so great yesterday! Biblical cold on both models and only 10 days out!? How dare they change!

Yeah, I'm just yanking Bob's chain, but I wonder if this is a case of extremes to the point that the models simply go wonky not knowing how to handle it?  I've never seen anything like those runs yesterday in my 15 years of hobbying.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Yeah, I'm just yanking Bob's chain, but I wonder if this is a case of extremes to the point that the models simply go wonky not knowing how to handle it?  I've never seen anything like those runs yesterday in my 15 years of hobbying.  

Yeah, they were amazing. I remember when we were chasing a pattern change around Christmas 17, models were swinging wildly from run to run, and finally got the extreme cold the first weeks of January 

20 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

I'm glad they're moderating. Sure it would be nice to set cold records in a time where that is so rare. But it would never snow with that kind of cold push. And in the end snow is all I care about. But that's just me. Others may enjoy the dry cold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As others have stated, we're not going to get a good model read on the sensible weather past 7 days. Indices are good for something to occur for the next two weeks. That's all we have at this point. I wouldn't be surprised to see another huge storm at 12z for the day 9/10(or 11...) period just to have it disappear at 18z (or vise versa).  

PNA - Stays positive until the LR, then it goes neutral; which others have stated could signify a whole continental trough.

NAO - Looks to average negative

AO - Looks to go and stay strongly negative 

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

9 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

As others have stated, we're not going to get a good model read on the sensible weather past 7 days. Indices are good for something to occur for the next two weeks. That's all we have at this point. I wouldn't be surprised to see another huge storm at 12z for the day 9/10(or 11...) period just to have it disappear at 18z (or vise versa).  

PNA - Stays positive until the LR, then it goes neutral; which others have stated could signify a whole continental trough.

NAO - Looks to average negative

AO - Looks to go and stay strongly negative 

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

Yeah the long range ensembles look to lose the PNA. The blocking up top is there but I don't see how a conus wide trough is good for us at all. I could be wrong but seems like the storms would amplify due to the block and cut without a strong trough centered on the east coast.

I sure hope we squeeze something in from the 26th through the 31st. Because if the models are correct and we lose the west coast ridge and waste the first week of Feb trying to rebuild it, then we're on borrowed time after that.

10 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

As I have said before, it does not look promising at all for a SE winter storm with the upcoming pattern. It will either be clipper city or a conus wide trough and cutters. Historic winter!

Already has been a pretty good winter here and it’s mid Jan. 15+ inches of snow and 3 ice storms. More than MA or NE for that matter. 

• Like 3

• Wow unpinned and locked this topic