Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2019

Upstate Tiger

7 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah hitting a lot of the hardest hit areas this past month.

Yea escarpment areas had over 100 inches of rain last year and are off to a quick start already for 2019...With the southerly flow out ahead of the fronts I think they will get hit hard with the upcoming pattern

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

We don't know what's going to happen:

aaaa.jpg

I mean I'm as skeptical as anyone on this ever amounting to anything for us in the Southeast, but an hour 384 on the GFS with absolutely no ensemble support from the GEFS or EPS should be thrown out like the garbage it is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, SnowDawg said:

I mean I'm as skeptical as anyone on this ever amounting to anything for us in the Southeast, but an hour 384 on the GFS with absolutely no ensemble support from the GEFS or EPS should be thrown out like the garbage it is.

It would certainly be wrong if it showed cold and snow. But a 384 op run can nail a torch at that range. Smdh

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

I'll be curious to see if this holds on tomorrow's models and doesn't slide out to the 27th or 28th

That has been surprisingly consistent to this point, I don't expect it to change. Pattern establishes following the 2nd storm, questions in my opinion are the longevity and whether it ever matches up with moisture. This is the GEFS from last Thursday for same exact time though, to this point the goal posts haven't moved.

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_64.png

2 hours ago, NTriadwx said:

I have a question for someone/anyone. How can you have a -AO, -NAO, +PNA and a -EPO and have the MJO in a warm phase?

So the MJO deals with where convection is being enhanced / suppressed in the tropics, and this typically has a large influence on the EPO and PNA patterns across the Pacific and North America.  For this time of year, when the convection is enhanced from the Eastern Indian Ocean, to the Maritime Continent (Indonesia), to the Western Pacific (phases 3-6), a +EPO / -PNA pattern is favored (central / eastern U.S. ridging).  When the convection is suppressed in those same regions (phases 7-8-1-2), a -EPO / +PNA pattern is favored (central / eastern U.S. troughing).  But that is what is "favored".  Other processes will influence the overall pattern. 

With the NOAA MJO update I posted a few pages back, they favor the MJO making a quick trek through phases 3-4-5 in week 1, before making a move toward phase 7 in week 2, and they state that the MJO is not expected to have a large influence on the pattern.  In spite of that, for a cold eastern U.S., we never want to see the MJO in the warm phases (3-4-5-6), so it remains to be see whether forecasted -EPO / +PNA patterns come to fruition - https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/51836-mid-to-long-term-discussion-2019/?do=findComment&comment=5117686

The MJO does have some influence on the AO and NAO but the processes which produce AO/NAO blocking are complex and can be largely separate from the MJO, including stratospheric influences.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, mclean02 said:

Whew not sure if that has happened in Greensboro before 10 degrees and snowing ! lol 

Sounding gso.JPG

Ive been fortunate to witness various types of wx events live. That would be a first. Closest was wind chill , in blizzard 1993 in cullowhee. I have seen heavy sleet at 19 degrees and heavy moderate freezing rain at 22 both in NC. 1988 was a cold synoptic snow upper teens. But 10 degrees and mod snow id love to expierence. Instant stickage.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

Ive been fortunate to witness various types of wx events live. That would be a first. Closest was wind chill , in blizzard 1993 in cullowhee. I have seen heavy sleet at 19 degrees and heavy moderate freezing rain at 22 both in NC. 1988 was a cold synoptic snow upper teens. But 10 degrees and mod snow id love to expierence. Instant stickage.

Had that in the March 2, 1980 snowstorm. Heavy snow and a temp of 9 degrees. 

• Like 2

• Wow unpinned and locked this topic