Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2019

Upstate Tiger

17 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

We just don't get big snows in NC with very cold air.    Often times, the cold air has to be right at freezing or marginal so that the storms aren't suppressed all the way down south.

Some of the coldest Januarys I've seen had very little snow. In those years it seemed February came through to save the day (...just from memory).  

Indices continue to look good:

PNA - Briefly gets to neutral in the short term but goes back positive into the LR

NAO - Looks to go negative in the LR (this may help suppress our storm track)

AO - Man it almost tanks off the charts (that's going to drive some cold air southward)

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

PNA - Briefly gets to neutral in the short term but goes back positive into the LR

AO - Man it almost tanks off the charts (that's going to drive some cold air southward)

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

Off the chart -AO coupled with a -NAO and +PNA? That just sounds too good to be true

#flyintheointment

You guys can talk about too cold (suppression) for snow all you want but I know one thing living in the southeast for over 50yrs.  We need cold temps for snow and they do not come around very often for any decent duration. 

We are in the se part of of north american continent with water on two sides and mountains to the west.  The precip will almost always come. Guaranteed.

The cold enough temps?--not so much.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

You guys can talk about too cold (suppression) for snow all you want but I know one thing living in the southeast for over 50yrs.  We need cold temps for snow and they do not come around very often for any decent duration. 

We are in the se part of of north american continent with water on two sides and mountains to the west.  The precip will almost always come. Guaranteed.

Yup. That is my philosophy. get me the coldest air i can have and then i'll worry about supression. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

Winter temperatures to date

W6gZQvC.gif

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, FallsLake said:

Jan 2019 will be the 18th straight meteorological Winter month (Dec-Jan-Feb) of +NAO. 

• Sad 1

• Wow unpinned and locked this topic