Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2019

Upstate Tiger

9 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Generally for us in eastern NC anyways it seems like the models never really pick up on the threat in a meaningful way until its 5-7 days out.....there is potential in the models after Jan 20th. 

This is very true with ops and also ops and ensembles struggle with timing of large scale pattern changes. Both our regions are dealing with what appears to be a stubborn WAR through d10 or so. That feature alone keeps my expectations low in the MA. However, it's all part of what should be a flip towards extensive high latitude blocking as the WAR gets pushed into the NAO region. Might take a couple storms to do it. Just no way to know this far out. IF (big if) you believe the GEFS' progression, north america goes from this at d10:

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_41.png

To this at d15:

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_61.png

What can go wrong? Everything... lol. What is my best guess? I do believe the ens guidance has the progression right but how quickly it gets to being REALLY good is up for much debate. My total WAG and best guess is the GEFS is too fast but it's coming anyway. We'll know in 5 days when d15 becomes d10. Ens have been pretty good through d10 but have really missed things (good and bad) beyond d10. I'm rooting for you guys (like always). I hope you guys get smoked before the month is out. 

ETA: 0z EPS looks very similar to the GEFS d15. GEPS is a little slower with knocking down the WAR. I generally stick to the EPS/GEFS combo and when they look mostly identical it usually means they have it mostly right. If they diverge or anything looks like it's going to screw things up I'll be quick to say as much. For now it's hard not to feel good about late Jan and possibly all of Feb. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

23 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

Yep the 10 day euro and eps from 0Z are solid on SER. So thats why tramadoc you see the warmup by next wednesday. Lets all hope that trends away at 12z today. Otherwise we may be finding ourselves head faked again by this post 20th holy grail lock down pattern. Getting a bad feeling in my stomach SER is gonna throw a monkey wrench in things last of Jan into Feb. Clock starts ticking Friday. Have exactly 6 weeks till March1st and we all know what that means. Plus Friday kicks off sun angle season and all that other jibe that comes along with it.

Yeah that very well could be a response to the Euro starting to pick up MJO going through unfavorable phases. Only solace is, that it’s moving fast and could be all the way back to more favorable in a weeks time. And even on the GFS/GEFS the lock down pattern flip has moved from behind the 20th system to behind the 23rd-25th one.

1 minute ago, Cold Rain said:

I like this look a lot at the end of the FV3.  This is what we want.  Usually, these aren't worth looking at.  But given where we *should* be headed, we'll probably see more of this type of configuration showing up:

Perfection.thumb.jpg.eb24fdb6070c65c009be1a7ee69ecb24.jpg

CR, how do you identify the storm track on the 5h maps?  Why did you draw the line specifically where you did there? I know it's suppressed based on the -NAO/PV but why right there? Thanks. 

• Like 1

Good question.  It's somewhat subjective, but it's pretty close.  In the first image, the black lines represent the upper level shortwave energy in the southern jet stream.  Usually, a low will form out ahead of that energy, north of the base.  In this case, I'd expect surface reflections of various strengths somewhere near the red Xs.  Even if no strong surface low forms, the upper level energy depicted here could still provide enough lift for precipitation.  The second image shows the shortwave energy more clearly.  I've circled it.

It's a long way out, and who knows what the energy will look like in terms of how strong it is or how it will be oriented.  But the pattern is a good one, and if it turns out to evolve that way, you can bet that there will be energy flowing through the pattern.  Let's get the pattern to move into the short term, and we can start to look more closely at the shape and strength of any shortwaves that are there.  Hope this is helpful.

Storm.thumb.jpg.97682408e49c88e854ef8a045e69f2eb.jpg

Energy.thumb.jpg.6c54487ca62dd7f5d7b9f0648d88a8e7.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

FWIW- 12z EPS has sped up the flip to a -NAO by about a day... It's less than 15 days away. Starts building d10 and goes from there. 

Thanks Bob.  Yes our local TV mets were mentioning earlier the GFS and Euro see the same thing but as you had mentioned earlier somewhere it was just timing that was off.  Euro was lagging I believe.  This creates more certainty when both of the top LR models see the same thing but just maybe not exactly the same time alignment.  

17 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

This is somewhat transient though.  By mid week more seasonable/slightly-below temps return I believe.  More longer duration killer cold comes in the last week of the month if I'm reading things correctly.

Yep. Evolution of the pattern is fairly identical to the GEFS. Transient first shot, then following waves help to finish beating down the West Atlantic ridge and establish the Greenland block. After that things seem rather locked in.

RAH not very impressed with the snow chances next weekend, but I like their talk about the cold (gives me chills):

Significant flow amplification, spanning multiple streams, is forecast next weekend into early next, with a resultant full latitude trough forecast to migrate from the cntl US on Sat to the East Coast by Mon, and following cross polar, nwly flow delivered all the way to the Sunshine State. Deepening low pressure will accompany the trough aloft and cross the srn-cntl Appalachians and middle Atlantic states late Sat through early Sun. While preceding mild, warm sector flow should envelop much of the sern US and Carolinas, some degree of cold air damming, from clouds and rain that will overspread the nrn and wrn Piedmont on Sat, may hold those areas in an appreciably cooler regime (40s), versus the growing warm sector 50s-60s elsewhere late Sat-early Sun. A half an inch to an inch of rain-soaking appears likely Sat night, with sharply colder temperatures --and the leading edge of 1040-1045 mb Arctic high pressure-- plunging across cntl NC Sun afternoon and night. A limited spatio-temporal overlap of departing deep moisture and incoming cold suggests any changeover from rain to snow on the back side of the frontal system would be very brief, on the order of an hour or two at most, and consequently light and non-impactful. More impactful will be the aforementioned incoming Arctic airmass, which will likely produce the coldest temperatures of the season, and a legitimate risk of sub-zero wind chill values, by Mon morning.

• Like 1

• Wow unpinned and locked this topic