Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2019

Upstate Tiger

12 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

This is going to be a good pattern for clipper snow in the south. 

Please no.  That seems to never work except to get some flurry action at best.  Cutter pattern is worse than cold and dry! lol. I think we're just going to have to wait until the pole blocks up, the pv gets pushed SE and the flow suppresses.  It may be a few more weeks....I hope.  We really need the SSW to get down to the troposphere stat. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

So much for those monster runs for a winter storm next weekend... that faded away fast... theirs a storm but to warm.

Ops runs at range.  You know how that goes.  That being said, things aren't looking good for snow in the SE next weekend.  There's a good chance for some serious cold, and there will be moisture, just not the right kind of blocking to get them to be in the same time at the same place.

On the bright side, there is serious support for significant high latitude blocking the last week of January and into February.  It would be nice if it was happening now though. 

Euro is a nice thump backside mtns no doubt next Sunday as polar air comes gangbusters on backside. We need the trough to go neutral quicker. To posotive leaning. If it would we could see those solutions like last night show up again. The ensembles still look good all next week, the icing on the cake would be to score on the sunday event. There is a way for us to do it. Just have to see if the models work toward it over next couple of days. 

4 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

Euro is a nice thump backside mtns no doubt next Sunday as polar air comes gangbusters on backside. We need the trough to go neutral quicker. To posotive leaning. If it would we could see those solutions like last night show up again. The ensembles still look good all next week, the icing on the cake would be to score on the sunday event. There is a way for us to do it. Just have to see if the models work toward it over next couple of days. 

Besides at this range (D8-5) we lose storms anyway 

22 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

So much for those monster runs for a winter storm next weekend... that faded away fast... theirs a storm but to warm.

Why look at op runs past 7 days? Hell even past 5 days! I'm sure next weekend won't workout. Cold chasing moisture never does and that surely won't change now. I'm as pessimistic about snow as they come. And I'm sure we'll screw it up. At least SC will. But the pattern after next weekend is as good as any to cash in. Why do we need a -NAO? Haven't had one in almost a decade and it's snowed.

9 minutes ago, Waiting on snow said:

Why look at op runs past 7 days? Hell even past 5 days! I'm sure next weekend won't workout. Cold chasing moisture never does and that surely won't change now. I'm as pessimistic about snow as they come. And I'm sure we'll screw it up. At least SC will. But the pattern after next weekend is as good as any to cash in. Why do we need a -NAO? Haven't had one in almost a decade and it's snowed.

Next week was a wave developing on an arctic front. It was nothing near cold chasing moisture. 

Just now, Waiting on snow said:

In the past that seemed to be a good way to get a snow here. If that's the case with this one it still has legs I'm sure. Can't expect the models to catch that at this range I wouldn't think.

Yeah, that's why i was so excited about it. I've seen that scenario work but it seems like it's been lost. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Your area needs suppressed blocked flow. This panel is nearly perfect for NC snow and it's just getting started. The most impressive part is every past piece of long range guidance looks like this. You guys are getting snow. It's not an if but a when. Bad luck and chaos are the only negatives.

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_65.png

8 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

So we’ve went from blockbuster pattern, to clippers will save us, in about 12 hours ! This winter is the best ever!

Relax. No guarantees, but the coming pattern (late January-February) looks about as good as it can look at this range. I feel the system next weekend is what opens the door for the pattern. 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, msuwx said:

Relax. No guarantees, but the coming pattern (late January-February) looks about as good as it can look at this range. I feel the system next weekend is what opens the door for the pattern. 

I would call it an epic pattern, but we have to remember, in the non-mountain SE, "epic" means 30% chance of significant winter weather, as opposed to the usual 1%.

Hey guys and gals, havent posted much this year in your sub. Next weekend is going to be really tough for snow for both our regions. Ice is a legit threat though. Beyond that things get really ripe for the mid atlantic and southeast. Davis straight block, neg ao, pos pna, and trough north of HI in the pac. Pac energy undercutting the pna ridge and suppressed flow in the east could lead to a big dog down there. 

This pattern is the best since 09-10 in general but appears to be colder to much colder than jan/feb 2010. Get your rest now because sleep will be at a premium here shortly...

F5gA6U7.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Hey guys and gals, havent posted much this year in your sub. Next weekend is going to be really tough for snow for both our regions. Ice is a legit threat though. Beyond that things get really ripe for the mid atlantic and southeast. Davis straight block, neg ao, pos pna, and trough north of HI in the pac. Pac energy undercutting the pna ridge and suppressed flow in the east could lead to a big dog down there. 

This pattern is the best since 09-10 in general but appears to be colder to much colder than jan/feb 2010. Get your rest now because sleep will be at a premium here shortly...

F5gA6U7.png

Looks amazing!! The Pacific I can buy. But what's the chances the -NAO isn't just a phantom? We've seen that modeled dozens of times the last few years only to never materialize.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Waiting on snow said:

Looks amazing!! The Pacific I can buy. But what's the chances the -NAO isn't just a phantom? We've seen that modeled dozens of times the last few years only to never materialize.

This sure looks like the real deal. All global ens and longer range weeklies/seasonal guidance shows the exact same thing... a big red ball over Greenland with a strong signal for a west based neg nao and neg ao. Previous blocking episodes like the one being advertised last between 30-60 days with the average around 45. It will wax and wane over longer timescales but if it forms, expect it to stay. This isn't looking like a phantom digital block. If things change i'll post about it. 

Keep an eye on the western atlantic ridge. That's the feature that throws a wrench in next weekend but it's all part of a large scale process. The atlantic ridge should move into the nao region after next weekend.

• Thanks 4

Is there any reason to worry about the MJO re-emerging on the non favorable side? I know for the most part the magnitude looks weak, and thankfully for now it looks to quickly loop back towards 7-8 or at least back in the circle so it’s not too bad. But what sort of wrenches could it throw, if any?

28 minutes ago, SnowDawg said:

Is there any reason to worry about the MJO re-emerging on the non favorable side? I know for the most part the magnitude looks weak, and thankfully for now it looks to quickly loop back towards 7-8 or at least back in the circle so it’s not too bad. But what sort of wrenches could it throw, if any?

I'm not sure. I'd say it's always a concern in the south anytime a tele is unfavorable. I guess it would depend on how strong it is in the unfavorable phases and how quick it gets through them. A lot of people think the MJO is what ruined our pattern for the last month and lead to the dreadful Pacific. 

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

This sure looks like the real deal. All global ens and longer range weeklies/seasonal guidance shows the exact same thing... a big red ball over Greenland with a strong signal for a west based neg nao and neg ao. Previous blocking episodes like the one being advertised last between 30-60 days with the average around 45. It will wax and wane over longer timescales but if it forms, expect it to stay. This isn't looking like a phantom digital block. If things change i'll post about it. 

Keep an eye on the western atlantic ridge. That's the feature that throws a wrench in next weekend but it's all part of a large scale process. The atlantic ridge should move into the nao region after next weekend.

Thanks for dropping in

Glad things are finally turning for you guys in the MA forum as well Bob.    Checking in there from time to time over the last few weeks was beginning to wonder if someone was going to need to medicate that thread. The MA was getting the DT's from snow drought.  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Thanks for dropping by... you are always welcome here.

• Like 1

• WeatherNC pinned this topic
  • Wow unpinned and locked this topic