Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Solstice Storm Discussion/Obs

purduewx80

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SERCC/status/1075813030565421058

Wettest December Day on record for Sarasota Bradenton International Airport (SRQ) with the 3.96 that has already fallen today

They are getting crushed down there in Florida.

You can always tell that we're going to get walloped when Florida gets it good.

23 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The 12z Euro has one of the wettest runs around the area that l can remember seeing in December. Impressive training of cells potential for this time of year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

Yes, I am in FLL and the squall line is approaching and as a bonus, I am flying to NYC tomorrow morning so I get the southern and northern part of the system...we had some excitement this morning as a rogue storm developed on the Southerly flow and there was rotation.  It did get sunny and we hit the low 80s so the atmosphere has become very unstable this afternoon. So far though the line has been rather anemic on the approach to SE Florida.  See you tomorrow in NYC.  1-3 inches of rain expected, so for us that typical summertime stuff and its been dry so no flooding concerns here.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DRmetwatch/status/1075859893356257280

Columbus GA broke its Dec low pressure record, set previously Dec 5, 1977 (997.7 vs 998.7 hPa). CSG records go back to 1948. Birmingham AL is within 0.9 hPa of its December low pressure record. Both sites could see further pressure falls as the low deepens while lifting north.

• Like 1

LIX tied the previous December 500mb height record low at 00Z this evening. This is a testament to how anomalous this system is and will be.

LIX.png.24bb2cb318a26e31bb72800c8d270e4d.png

The majority of the forecast models have heights lowering to all-time record lows overnight, so the 12Z sounding will be fun to see. The spread in today's guidance is essentially 5410-5415m.

The previous lowest 500 height there going back to the late '40s was 5440m, set in March.

SPC_LIX.thumb.png.b5345e871d6e29353db501b8c8cd2768.png

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

Now I feel incredibly old, as I was a freshman in college the year you were born...

Haha me too!!! I wouldn’t say we are old though, at least I do not feel old.

the precip shield on radar is epic. As far as coverage this has to be one of the wettest storms of all time for the east coast

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

From @earthlight

a stated this a few days ago in the philly forum ----I am absolutely amazed there is little to no discussion on the PWAT values for Fridays rains in this forum and the record breaking temps with thunderstorm watches/warnings and with flood warnings galore. This is biblical in my textbook in my 30 years of weather for this area. The groundwater  level has never been seen this high in the LV and this is coming from Lehigh County Authority who has observation wells all over Lehigh County for the last 50+ years.  Four inches of rain from this upcoming event will be devastating in some areas. Historic flooding is anticipated and MT Holly backs it up with how early they issued the flood watches. To hell with talking about a one inch snow for Christmas- for many their Christmas will be cleaning up the flood damage, especially from flooded basements. I am totally bewildered why  the media is only given a measly mention.  I guess if was a hurricane like Hurricane Irene, it would be front page. Boy  will everyone be surprised on Saturday morning and the damage will be extensive.--- Mike Seidel is on the mark. I remember the radar distinctly in 1993 as I was watching that storm evolve and guess what, it looks just like this storm but warmer. This is the storm of the year if not the decade for us in E PA and NJ. 

• Like 2

Sorry to intrude but I had this thought while posting on Mid-Atlantic discussion of this storm, looks to me like there could be a severe storm risk Friday afternoon in the NYC region as this system forms a fairly well-organized triple point moving NNE from Delaware up coastal NJ region into NYC or western LI and then western CT. Is this in the forecast?