Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion II

Typhoon Tip

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

07-08 was #2 for CON, but I had ~142” compared to their 119.5” that winter. A lot of the big numbers are late 1800s so I’ll have to do some digging to see how Franklin fared.

CONAnnS.png

We were close on totals in 07/08, 137.8 here but 70/71 was 144.9" so i eclipsed 12' once.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I was about to post that I have my eye on those 1870s numbers. 

Was just looking up the monthlies for 1873-74. Big Novie and then I kept getting meh months. Then April hit with 35”. So of the 122” basically half of it fell in November and April.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We all hold out for the perfect winter...dendrite is correct. We're waiting for the '95-'96 without the late January meltdown or the '14-'15 with a great December. We know it is physically possible so eventually we're bound to get it. It might be in 500 years long after we're dead many times over and we've geoengineered CO2 out of the atmosphere or maybe it is in 7,000 years as we're entering the next ice age....and then 100 years later that perfect winter looks like a torch in comparison. 

But regardless, we all wait for it and hope that the next winter is the one. Just like we wait for some sort of 1888 stalled frontal boundary that then bombs a storm on the benchmark except even more moisture that gives us 60" of snow. 

Never thought I would see anything better than '78  and who comes knockin' but 2015.

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Skiing however is personal to me so there is definitely an affect at some level. Only a few things make me happier on a totally selfish level 

For me there is nothing like taking a Winter walk. I just love going Into the Woods or the park with the fresh glistening powder everywhere. Most winters there are plenty of opportunities for that, the crappiest ones there are fewer. I certainly get disappointed when I have some free time and there's no snow to take that walk, so it's definitely a downer. But I don't go to bed hating life or anything like that lol

5 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

We all hold out for the perfect winter...dendrite is correct. We're waiting for the '95-'96 without the late January meltdown or the '14-'15 with a great December. We know it is physically possible so eventually we're bound to get it. It might be in 500 years long after we're dead many times over and we've geoengineered CO2 out of the atmosphere or maybe it is in 7,000 years as we're entering the next ice age....and then 100 years later that perfect winter looks like a torch in comparison. 

But regardless, we all wait for it and hope that the next winter is the one. Just like we wait for some sort of 1888 stalled frontal boundary that then bombs a storm on the benchmark except even more moisture that gives us 60" of snow. 

One thing I have learned is that our highest seasonal snowfall winters do not usually come in el ninos (here anyway).  Our biggest winters (which were also wall to wall) were 1995-96, 1960-61, 1966-67, 1947-48, etc.  2010-11 would be right up there too if the snowfall season didn't suddenly end in late January.

What el ninos are good for are one big snowfall event, most of our biggest snowstorms occurred in them, but not necessarily our snowiest seasons.  

Back in the 1800s there were probably several cases of what we would consider "the perfect winter" today.  I read about continuous snowcover from November through March right down to NYC and Philly in several winters with 100" seasonal snowfall in both cities.

9 hours ago, dendrite said:

I’ll add there’s some weenie yore in there. I find it hard to believe 5 straight winters in the early 1870s topped 100” and made the top 10.

Slant-sticking of yore.

I’m beginning to smell a rat.....another round of “2 more weeks” with the weeklies.

on the upside, just accepted an offer on pit1.  Bittersweet, still need to get through inspection.  More aggressive ORH search underway.  Checking out a couple tomorrow.

The second half relaxation was fairly easily seen imo. The euro guidance correctly predicted it because of how it handled the MJO. What I’m curious about is how isotherm claims the stratosphere caused the mjo to go into overdrive. I admit that’s not my strong point so curious to see what he means. 

There is a lot of stuff going on so I’m not surprised guidance has changed quite a bit. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

See my comment in your thread....great work, as always...but don't agree entirely with your explanation with RE to December.

Your pal raindance aka tacoman must be dancing in the streets of Albuquerque today- I heard today they're getting the first blizzard that city has ever experienced?