Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion II

Typhoon Tip

Just now, Greg said:

I like many on here have been watching that for a few days but I myself can't get fully invested yet do to how far out in the future it is.  If it holds and I mean "If" then we could salvage this December.  Otherwise, it's fantacy until it becomes a reality.

Yeah I def wouldn't get invested in either 12/28 or 12/31-1/1 yet...both could be complete skunk jobs. This is the classic period where the cold dumps west of us first, so we are still quite susceptible to cutters....we could turn them into nice SWFEs if things break right, but nobody should be shocked at all if we end up with 2 cutters in between the cold shots. Scooter made this point many times over the past week or so and he's right.

• Like 1

Just now, Hoth said:

When was the last time the Canadian models actually did well? Winter '15?

RGEM has its moments....but it was on fire in 2015....but it did well in events like the 12/23 ice storm last year...really honed in on that. Can't remember the last time the GGEM scored a medium range coup though.

• Like 1

Hopefully the ensembles are right with a few events over the next 10 days. They’ve hinted at a more CADish look for next week and might be correct. Since I’ll be gone at the end of the year for a few nights, lock it in. :lol:   I see the GFS op went warmer again next week which isn’t a surprise, but still wedgy inland. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Hopefully the ensembles are right with a few events over the next 10 days. They’ve hinted at a more CADish look for next week and might be correct. Since I’ll be gone at the end of the year for a few nights, lock it in. :lol:   I see the GFS op went warmer again next week which isn’t a surprise, but still wedgy inland. 

I'm checked out as far as intense investment until mid January...if something works out sooner, great.....but I won't be melting.

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

GEM ensembles are pretty wedgy too for next week. Not quite as much as GEFS, but they show it. Hopefully we can eject that primary eastward much sooner which will definitely be key to producing a more wintry scenario....the only other way is to somehow speed up the northern stream diving in from NW Canada and have it whiff on a phase and press high pressure down before it can cut all the way....but scenario 2 seems more unlikely.

You guys should take the icing idea along the way there...

Not seeing much indication that's registering to the reader... but, if the N/stream remains active, and with very recent NAO progs indicating that may be the case, ... -NAO/-PNA with SE ridge is ice event climo -

Real Icing events are rare....And I don't mean a lil bit of Freezing rain over to drizzle at the tail end of an event, but a real Ice storm.  Everything has to be just perfect for a real icing event to take place. It just seems/is very rare.

I'll believe it when I see it type of thing.  More times than not, it changes going forward and you either end up with a more wintry scenario, or a warmer wetter scenario and not the ice event the modeling showed earlier on.  

They are rare and they are memorable. Dec 1964; Dec 2008 in Central Mass.

I'm glad they are rare. I own a house. I don't want to be driven out of it by a falling tree. I like electricity and gas. Heat is wonderful.

So, Yeah, give me snow on snow on snow as it gets colder and colder. But, if not, another damn cutter won't be the end of the world.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You guys should take the icing idea along the way there...

Not seeing much indication that's registering to the reader... but, if the N/stream remains active, and with very recent NAO progs indicating that may be the case, ... -NAO/-PNA with SE ridge is ice event climo -

I actually have to be mindful of those now considering my more favorable climo at the new dwelling.

1 hour ago, Greg said:

I like many on here have been watching that for a few days but I myself can't get fully invested yet do to how far out in the future it is.  If it holds and I mean "If" then we could salvage this December.  Otherwise, it's fantacy until it becomes a reality.

This month has gone to heaven.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mK3iSglbZUM

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

RGEM has its moments....but it was on fire in 2015....but it did well in events like the 12/23 ice storm last year...really honed in on that. Can't remember the last time the GGEM scored a medium range coup though.

GGEM is better in phasing in ocean lows, while gfs will be out to sea. RGEM is a better model than both gfs and nam inside 36 hours imo. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Yes. Especially for NYC.

NYC is typically not the best place to be to try and cash in even if this turns into a SWFE...they need it really cold on the front end with the high further west...very little CAD there in the midlevels.