Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion II

Typhoon Tip

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Turning that event in a CAD SWFE would be a nice way to turn the tide on the month so far. Esp if we can get something small on the 24th or 26th as well.

I’d prefer 1-3” on the 24th if given the choice , though that one seems like a far reach around. Does the EPS give it any support at all?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’d prefer 1-3” on the 24th if given the choice , though that one seems like a far reach around. Does the EPS give it any support at all?

EPS has a weak signal...but yeah, it's moisture starved at the moment. Still enough time though for it to sharpen just enough for an inch or two, so we can see if that happens over the next couple days. Model guidance prob needs to get this obscene cutter out of the way first.

7 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I actually falsified it 7 minutes before you did lol...but exactly right...it snowed last xmas.

Yeah what was supposed to be last year's grinch on 12/22-23 turned into a pretty nice ice storm....even Scooter was prancing through icicles hanging from the trees in Weymouth which isn't easy to do in mid winter...nevermind in December. Then we got the Xmas morning snow two days later.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

EPS has a weak signal...but yeah, it's moisture starved at the moment. Still enough time though for it to sharpen just enough for an inch or two, so we can see if that happens over the next couple days. Model guidance prob needs to get this obscene cutter out of the way first.

Yeah what was supposed to be last year's grinch on 12/22-23 turned into a pretty nice ice storm....even Scooter was prancing through icicles hanging from the trees in Weymouth which isn't easy to do in mid winter...nevermind in December. Then we got the Xmas morning snow two days later.

It was nice to get a taste of Worcester for a day. :lol:

58 minutes ago, LurkerBoy said:

The fact that this has happened every year in recent memory definitely has something to do with a shifting climate. It’s not normal and I know for a fact it makes most in this forum uneasy.  

I’m 72 years old.  I remember numerous times in my childhood when we would see spectacular heat in winter.   It’s 1 day.  If Coastals that bury us were 400 miles further west we’d see it then as well.  With that said, there is climate change but events that are warm outliers don’t prove it.    

Just now, weathafella said:

I’m 72 years old.  I remember numerous times in my childhood when we would see spectacular heat in winter.   It’s 1 day.  If Coastals that bury us were 400 miles further west we’d see it then as well.  With that said, we there is climate change but events that are warm outliers don’t prove it.    

IF he wants to point to a set of events, prob the back to back Feb warm spells of that magnitude in 2017 and 2018 are a better example. The frequency of such type events would increase with CC.

Cutters in December happen all the time...they happen in mid winter too. The only difference CC would produce is maybe you hit 67F in 2018 instead of 65-66F in 1975....but that is a minimal sensible wx difference.

2-3 days of 70F in February is much tougher to achieve...and having it happen twice in two years is more of a "Footprint" of CC than cutters.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

End of EPS are also starting to look like week 3 the other day....showing some real promise...still need the real PNA push, but you can see it building.

Wouldn't surprise me if we had a shot or two near or just after New Years. 

Yeah I posted above the improvements near the west coast look better. Getting a better Pacific for sure and some hints of an event or two as you said.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Like Ray, I have no concern whatsoever that our time to rock will come, but admittedly, I've had so many bad wx days right around Christmas that it'd really feel nice to just have some wintry appeal.

Last year in DC wasn't bad, but I haven't seen a snowy Christmas period since 2002. 

Yeah you missed it by one year....last year was pretty cool.

2013-2016 was a pretty bad stretch....so at least you weren't here for those....2013 was painful....had like 17-18" pack nearly wiped out and for many it all was. 2014 and 2015 never had anything to begin with in December and 2016 was a bit frustrating with the front ender on 12/17-18 not being able to CAD enough to avoid the long warm sector.

We did have some fun in the 2000s though....we still had some grinches, but some years we avoided them and others we made up for it. Like 2012 we had about inch of currier and ives snow Christmas morning. I drove trhough a warm front on the way to NJ though that morning and almost barfed in CT when I saw everything go brown and my car thermo spike to 50F. 2010 was cold and white when the retro storm of 12/20-21 got us enough to put 2-3" on the ground....and then boxing day added to it the day after Xmas. 2007 and 2008 were super fun leading into Xmas but the grinch got us both years on 12/24....brutal. The snowpack survived but it wasn't as nice looking.

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I posted above the improvements near the west coast look better. Getting a better Pacific for sure and some hints of an event or two as you said.

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Also some signs of ridging into greenland and maybe trying for the davis Straits too. 

Yep, that was def the best EPS run in a while...I'd expect they slowly get better as we get closer to the changes. Hopefully no major setbacks, but that one had some actual promise getting inside 2 weeks.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LurkerBoy said:

46/45/40...? Ginx post doesn’t come close 

Dumb 3 days ave max temp records Dec 23rd to 26th Boston area, suck on this for awhile climate change guru

Maximum 3-Day Mean Max Temperature 
for Boston Area, MA (ThreadEx)
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Value
Ending Date
Missing Days
1 62.3 2015-12-25 0
2 62.0 2015-12-26 0
3 58.0 1888-12-26 0
4 56.0 1893-12-26 1
5 55.7 1893-12-25 0
6 55.3 2003-12-25 0
7 55.0 1915-12-26 0
8 54.7 1964-12-26 0
- 54.7 1889-12-26 0
10 54.3 1982-12-26 0

49 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

IF he wants to point to a set of events, prob the back to back Feb warm spells of that magnitude in 2017 and 2018 are a better example. The frequency of such type events would increase with CC.

Cutters in December happen all the time...they happen in mid winter too. The only difference CC would produce is maybe you hit 67F in 2018 instead of 65-66F in 1975....but that is a minimal sensible wx difference.

2-3 days of 70F in February is much tougher to achieve...and having it happen twice in two years is more of a "Footprint" of CC than cutters.

1930 was the 2nd warmest 5  and 3 day stretch in Boston history in Feb behind 2017

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Definitely not overly favorable for the last 10-days of December to have this for a Euro IMG_1612.thumb.PNG.35750484a32254d334ed429309f0613e.PNGsnow map.  

Hopeful for a few inches up here to freshen things up for Xmas but Nature needs to share the wealth a bit more.  

Any snow before the ball drops is gravy in my mind.

6 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Would u say the set up toward end of the month has a potential icing look

Still too early to say much...but the EPS today def looked icier and more SWFE-ish than the previous runs...it could easily flip back to less CAD in subsequent runs, but it is something to watch. 12/23 last year actually didn't start looking icier until once we got to about D4-5, and we're still 9 days out from the 12/28 threat.