Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion II

Typhoon Tip

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

lol watch the SSW be too strong and screw us in some way. Kinda like how the -NAO bent so much in 09-10 that we broke. 

I have that in the back of my mind..especially hearing January 2004, but I don't think that will happen once weak el nino forcing sets up. Its tougher for us to a whiff with an active n stream.....unfortunate timing of PV lobe intrusions notwithstanding...

We bought our house in November 2003. I remember we had pipes freeze in our very first winter and the plumber was complaining because he had way more burst pipes call than he could handle. I think I remember a stretch of over 3 weeks where we stayed below freezing. I do recall one significant storm that sort of fizzled a bit, I think we still got like 10 but the forecast was way higher - in January of 2004 I believe. This is for SW CT I am speaking.

1 minute ago, ma blizzard said:

ya thats a good point .. not sure how the background state / tropics compares exactly. Hopefully doesn't lead to suppression city like Jan 04 - although we had some close calls 

Never say never, but I'd be worried if el nino were stronger, or non existent. Who knows, though....I would rather not have the NAO obscene.....just moderate negative and in variable.

9 minutes ago, cut said:

We bought our house in November 2003. I remember we had pipes freeze in our very first winter and the plumber was complaining because he had way more burst pipes call than he could handle. I think I remember a stretch of over 3 weeks where we stayed below freezing. I do recall one significant storm that sort of fizzled a bit, I think we still got like 10 but the forecast was way higher - in January of 2004 I believe. This is for SW CT I am speaking.

January 28, 2004 storm: 8"-12" in Fairfield and New Haven counties.

• Like 1

Ha, Maue just added 45 day snowfall to his model site now.

He posted a teaser on Twitter that actually supports much of the discussion in here. Disclaimer: snow maps are garbage, BUT they do highlight the potential pattern. The absolute number of snowfall is a WAG from the EPS, but given that little to no snow falls in New England between now and New Years, all of the accumulated model snow is for the month of January. So pointing towards an above normal snowfall month.