Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Discussion II

Typhoon Tip

25 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

How do they account for SWE without an observer, drifting snow, wind whipped snow. ASOS is great for wind and temps.

ASOS SWE sucks. Period.

That's why LCD sites generally have paid observers.

We need MPM to move to AUG to we can start snow measurement back up there.

3 minutes ago, leo2000 said:

Winters are not like they used to be. There was never rain in winter 20 plus years ago. All there was in winter back then was snow. No freezing rain either. 

lol nice try, pretty sure they have been pretty much all the same since recorded time. People in all realms understand the sine wave, highs and lows. Some emphasize the highs some the lows, some the freezes some the torches, fact is the Earth's climate waxes and wanes like a sine wave. Just how you scale the data is the difference

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

ASOS SWE sucks. Period.

That's why LCD sites generally have paid observers.

We need MPM to move to AUG to we can start snow measurement back up there.

I am up over 72 inches this year, amazing wet year that destroyed the 5 year -20 inch departures in this area, we wax we wane

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

lol nice try, pretty sure they have been pretty much all the same since recorded time. People in all realms understand the sine wave, highs and lows. Some emphasize the highs some the lows, some the freezes some the torches, fact is the Earth's climate waxes and wanes like a sine wave. Just how you scale the data is the difference

Climate Change my friend?

Winters are not like they used to be. There was never rain in winter 20 plus years ago. All there was in winter back then was snow. No freezing rain either. 

Ahh wut? There were lots of rain events in the 90’s. You probably weren’t even alive back then. Go back to watching your storm. Your getting 6-10. Enjoy cause it’s history next week.

3 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Ahh wut? There were lots of rain events in the 90’s. You probably weren’t even alive back then. Go back to watching your storm. Your getting 6-10. Enjoy cause it’s history next week.

Were talking about back further then that. My late father told me that. I have to wonder why we always get rainstorms just before Christmas. I remember 15 years ago we had a major snowstorm on Christmas Eve as well as a major snowstorm on Boxing Day. 

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Just keep loading up Freak and all of NNE, we need the cover up there for selfish reasons down here

Snowing steadily here at home... crappy iPhone pic from a few minutes ago walking the dog on the Rec Path.  I know everyone loves the snowy dog walks, lol.

Upslope really kicking in this evening... still I'm only thinking 2-3" at home will probably do it.  Double or triple it for the mountain.

Either way, great snowy winter-vibe of an evening before we deal with the Grinch Storm.

n4dQstb.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

They are, but they still leave something to be desired.

I think this is the report I recall reading. Guess I need to put up a tall dual fence around my rain gauge now for maximum accuracy. Maybe put it inside the run? :weenie:

https://www.weather.gov/media/asos/ASOS Implementation/AWPAG Altershield Final Report 08-09 v2.doc

The EPS did mean out to a SE ridge presentation toward D7-10 fwiw -...   I don't know if that reflects in any of their index derivatives .. .but, perhaps backing us into an assumption, they likely agree with the GEFs in this case.

Weeklies  ... mm, I don't have much experience with those. I've just sort of learned by proximity to others bandying their looks over the years that like every thing else, they are better before they are bad looking from near to far... etc.  But Week three and four is beyond this months so, taken for what it is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It can’t get any worse.

Please dont ginx it. 2007 I think Boston didnt get its first inch until February. Somewhere around 88 or 89 the entire east coast was brown and muddy all the way up into Canada. It can get so much uglier than what we have now :(