Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December/January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

2” increase from where it was before? That’s a pretty big signal at 10 day leads.

There is definitely a strong signal that the day 10-15 period in general is a threat but the GEFS isn't locked in on one specific event.  There are several waves in that time period.  The one around the 30th really isn't looking good.  Most are rain.  There is a better hit rate with the next 2 waves around the 1/2 and 3/4 but a LOT of the snowfall on the mean is from a couple HUGE hits on the ensemble.  There are then a lot of minor events where we get some snow on the front end before a chance to rain.  Then some total misses...not a large percentage actually showing a big hit yet.  I think we could score something as the pattern establishes but we all know that often we do better later once the pattern matures. So it wouldn't surprise me if we have to wait a little into January before we score...but I like everything I am seeing right now.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

yeah, it goes from a dusting to 2" or so in D.C. 6 members seem to jump on it, which isn't anything to scoff at. A couple of them are definitely the snow output on WxBell being funky though, counting sleet/frza. 

Ah ok. I thought mean was already like 3-4” for that period on the GEFS.

31 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

Don't worry. They always trend north.

always.....how quickly you forget what happened 3 weeks ago....

Verbatim on the Ops its funny how we go from cutterville to suppression depression.  So many ways to hurt onesself.

Just playing around.  Not worried about anything past 7 days on Op runs.  Just having some fun.

1 minute ago, LP08 said:

Euro takes a nice track for the storm on the 30th.  Honestly, there are so many SWs that its going to be tough to feel confident in any solution.  Seems like a safe bet that there will be a storm near us in that time frame.

Yup. Haven’t seen precip yet but guessing a light snow based on 850 and 500?

1 hour ago, pasnownut said:

always.....how quickly you forget what happened 3 weeks ago....

Verbatim on the Ops its funny how we go from cutterville to suppression depression.  So many ways to hurt onesself.

Just playing around.  Not worried about anything past 7 days on Op runs.  Just having some fun.

That was an attempt at humor. 

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

If we transition to more of an EPO ridge vs a PNA ridge there won’t be any blocking on the Atlantic side.  At this stage it’s too early to say for sure this will be entirely PNA induced 

Without blocking I assume storms may form and track under us but not slow down and deepen so timing becomes more of a factor.  

• Like 1

Not a good EPS run towards the end. Hopefully just a bad run.
IMG_8042.thumb.PNG.c7aaeb8d3c0e9a20ca34d72e577ce625.PNG
Yea this pattern change seems like a fantasy. The euro can't even agree with its weeklies. This winter is reminding me of 01-02 where jb promised a pattern change and when it finally happened...it was December...2003
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Ji said:
54 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea this pattern change seems like a fantasy. The euro can't even agree with its weeklies. This winter is reminding me of 01-02 where jb promised a pattern change and when it finally happened...it was December...2003

Calm down. It was one run. And it wasn't awful, could still head in the right direction, but it wasn't a positive step for sure.  On the whole things still look good. Mjo heading towards cold phases in January. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ji said:
56 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Jeez you had to go there.  Right for the jugular.  Bit early to say it’s that bad