Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December/January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

19 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

3-4 days ago, it was really looking like the period after today's cutter from say the 30th-10th or so was going to be a solid step down to our incoming expected epicness.  Now instead we have another major cutter on New Year's and then another gush of Pac puke to deal with.  The Nina-ness of the December 10-January 10 period is undeniable.  It's pretty sh-tty frankly.  Now we're back to the end of the 2 week period for a (seemingly) sustained good pattern.  

It's been a weird stretch. Fits the warm Dec nino stats but they way it's happened doesn't fit a nino. Is what it is. I'm not sold that we get another week long pac puke job after the 1st. Until it's locked in I'm expected models to back away from that idea and lean more towards cold continental air dropping down but what the hell do I know?

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm not sold that we get another week long pac puke job after the 1st. Until it's locked in I'm expected models to back away from that idea and lean more towards cold continental air dropping down but what the hell do I know?

I've had the same feeling for awhile (i.e., that after Xmas we'd be in a step back to a more typical Nino pattern and cold air), but it keeps getting pushed right.  Likely the MJO being in Phase 4-5 for so long is the prime culprit.  But Christ seeing the can kicked once again with another Pac jet extension showing up after whatever happens on the 3rd/4th is frustrating for sure.  

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

I've had the same feeling for awhile (i.e., that after Xmas we'd be in a step back to a more typical Nino pattern and cold air), but it keeps getting pushed right.  Likely the MJO being in Phase 4-5 for so long is the prime culprit.  But Christ seeing the can kicked once again with another Pac jet extension showing up after whatever happens on the 3rd/4th is frustrating for sure.  

We are wasting a heck of alot of stj moisture and prime activity. We can only hope that once this change takes shape after mid-Jan we still have the stj component sticking around in a favorable spot.

8 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

We are wasting a heck of alot of stj moisture and prime activity. We can only hope that once this change takes shape after mid-Jan we still have the stj component sticking around in a favorable spot.

Don’t worry. I’m sure that 2019 will break records....the wettest year on record followed by the driest on record. By next December, we won’t be talking about death bands, but death valleys. :lol:

14 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

If we can score something around the 3rd or 4th it would make the following week much more bearable until the pattern hopefully gets right for good  after the 15th or so. If we don't score something in the first 4 or 5 days of January it might take to the last 10 days of month. I didn't think December was going to be off the charts great but I also didn't think I would be waiting 2 months between seeing snowflakes...lol

We all know we are going to a cold dry clipper period. Will be exciting at first but then old real fast. Ultimately more frustrating than what we have now
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Would be nice to get the epic euro weeklies pattern inside of day 10. That GEFS pattern says cancel the first 3 weeks of January.

It does seem like we’re just treading in place or going in reverse.  Every time it looks like things are turning a corner, another curveball is thrown our way.  Whatever happens the rest of this winter, will be a fascinating case study to analyze.  

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

It does seem like we’re just treading in place or going in reverse.  Every time it looks like things are turning a corner, another curveball is thrown our way.  Whatever happens the rest of this winter, will be a fascinating case study to analyze.  

It's not like we havent been down this road and studied the mythical day 10+ super spectacular pattern to end all patterns before yet we vow that we've learned and wont let the same mistakes cloud our vision ever again. Well, here we are again. As much as the eternal optimists wont admit, things are slowly unraveling. I will be content honestly if we can salvage a 10-day window of winter weather this year. That seems reasonable enough doesnt it? :wacko::blink:

6 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Seemed like we were all heading to the right direction in the progs  from the 20-25th. Pretty much been all backwards since, minus the weeklies. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Seemed like we were all heading to the right direction in the progs  from the 20-25th. Pretty much been all backwards since, minus the weeklies. 

It's the mjo. Not only is it in nearly unprecedented territory for a nino but it's taking forever to cycle through the warm phases. I'll admit I didn't foresee that. Until that weakens or gets out of 5/6 we are not going to be able to sustain an eastern trough. 

• Like 2