Newest Member
    joxey
December/January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

4 minutes ago, 87storms said:

i should have looked at this first...

https://www.weather.gov/media/lwx/climate/dcasnow.pdf

we're due.

That's part of the reason I've been a little edgy...we most certainly are due. I mean 3 consecutive below average years has happened before, but...the longer ya go, the harder it is too stay logical when the season comes, lol

1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:

That's part of the reason I've been a little edgy...we most certainly are due. I mean 3 consecutive below average years has happened before, but...the longer ya go, the harder it is too stay logical when the season comes, lol

yea, i literally forgot about 16/17 being pretty bad for snow lol.  last winter was also weak sauce.  it's certainly possible to have 3 subpar winters in a row, but we're generally a legit precip town.  whether we're a "cold enough to snow" town is debatable.  i lean towards fringe snowtown, but it's a roll of the dice and i would venture to guess we get at least as much rain as we do snow in the winter.  add all that up and it makes sense why we're hit/miss, 50/50 usually when it comes to snow.

Gefs now showing the strat split. This event seems to be legit. Haven't seen anything like this (this early) since 2009. 

gfs_Tz10_nhem_33.png

The -nao signal is getting pretty strong too. Being so early in the year and the fact that strong blocking events on average last 45 days or so... there really is a lot to look forward to for the time being. As lead times start shortening over the next week we're likely going to see fantasy threats pop up regularly on ops. 

• Like 9

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Gefs now showing the strat split. This event seems to be legit. Haven't seen anything like this (this early) since 2009. 

gfs_Tz10_nhem_33.png

The -nao signal is getting pretty strong too. Being so early in the year and the fact that strong blocking events on average last 45 days or so... there really is a lot to look forward to for the time being. As lead times start shortening over the next week we're likely going to see fantasy threats pop up regularly on ops. 

PV destruction, daughter vortices and a potential -NAO. Only a matter of time before we see op runs advertising a KU.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Hearing Paul Kocin's raspy voice on The Weather Channel is a memory engrained in me from when I was a kid. I miss seeing him. When you saw him on TV, you knew it was going down.

Hey gang - don't forget the "U" in "KU" is for Louis Uccellini.  

Remember when TWC started in 82 - I was a sophomore in college and focused on becoming a Pro Met.  Spent a night shift at the NWS office at Dayton Airport and that nixed the idea.  Became a mere mortal engineer instead.  Remember Kocin in the later years of TWC - think he started in the late 90's when TWC was trying to figure out what it wanted to be.  

Mods - sorry for the banter...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Hearing Paul Kocin's raspy voice on The Weather Channel is a memory engrained in me from when I was a kid. I miss seeing him. When you saw him on TV, you knew it was going down.

He used to go pretty in depth with analysis. Def a few steps above an average viewer's knowledge base. I loved it of course. 

Out of all the people on twc over the years my favorite will always be Dave Schwartz. That dude had the strangest sense of humor and it was awesome. Cracked me up. Kinda hit me a little hard when he passed away. 

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

He used to go pretty in depth with analysis. Def a few steps above an average viewer's knowledge base. I loved it of course. 

Out of all the people on twc over the years my favorite will always be Dave Schwartz. That dude had the strangest sense of humor and it was awesome. Cracked me up. Kinda hit me a little hard when he passed away. 

He was an inspiration to many, and his battle with cancer was a tough one, yet he was never negative, always positive. Remember his line, hello friends ........ 

He, was really a weather geek, like all of us. His passion for weather I will always remember, Dave and Mark Mancuso were my all time favorites.  

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I remember Schwartz for calling out weather conditions in some of the most obscure areas in the country. "Hello friends in Chengwatana, Minnesota where we hit a balmy minus 15 farenheit today for our high temperature" lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, peribonca said:

What surprises me is the number of times we've had traces in June.... Anyone remember those? Maybe it was hail counted as snow?

Yeah that's what I wanna know, lol (ain't like we any "years without a summer" in the late 19th or 20th century! Man...can you imagine what that was like back in the early 19th century (around 1815-16) though? Like, snow in June? Lol)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Pd 2 was pretty exhilarating snowing at 9-11 degrees all day . 96 ' also a cold one at 14-17 for much of the storm. I don't mind it at all . Hard to beat giant pillows at 33 degrees though I must  say .

12 degrees and snowing like crazy at 1pm with zero sun effect is very special

• Like 1