Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Meteorological Winter 2018 Banter

doncat

5 hours ago, Jason215 said:

A agree with your sentiment of wasting the cold with nothing to show for it, but if you are going to discount November, are you also going to discount any March snows we may potentially get?  

Last year we got I believe more than half our snowfall in March, even though March is not part of “meteorological” winter. We had a surprise snowstorm this Pastor November, why would we not count it?  That being said, we still have about a month to make up for lost time, hoping we can make some lemonade out of this lemon! 

I think you have to discount that snowfall when grading forecasters' predictions, because those predictions are geared towards DJF.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I should clarify that the reason for those winters being better would be the lack of wasted cold. 01-02 had little cold but it snowed when the little cold showed. 97-98 was a super nino furnace and was fully expected. The only winter I can think of (and remember we aren’t counting the November event) is 72-73. That’s the only other winter that has this ones cold and lack of snow. As much as we kept hitting home runs every time we were at bat the last few years we equally struck out this year. The ultimate thread the needle bad. Watch DC score another another one this week and we miss out (entirely possible).

I’m still optimistic that we score at least one advisory+ snow event before the end of the season. In order to do that we need to completely reshuffle the pattern. 40/70 baby

The only disappointing thing about 1997-98 was that we got that weird late March snowfall when we were THIS close to a record low 0.5" of snowfall to match Philly's T that season.

I was so sated with 1993-94 and 1995-96 that I didn't even care about snow after that until the March 2001 debacle lol.

• Confused 1

People get fussier every year with their snow. Frankly, we need a few seasons like this one to humble folks. November is too early, March too late, it can't be too warm nor too cold, has to stick around just long enough (not a second more), must be big enough to be worthwhile but not enough to close schools... what am I missing?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

The only disappointing thing about 1997-98 was that we got that weird late March snowfall when we were THIS close to a record low 0.5" of snowfall to match Philly's T that season.

I was so sated with 1993-94 and 1995-96 that I didn't even care about snow after that until the March 2001 debacle lol.

Goes to show how difficult a complete shoutout is for our area north of 40N. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

People get fussier every year with their snow. Frankly, we need a few seasons like this one to humble folks. November is too early, March too late, it can't be too warm nor too cold, has to stick around just long enough (not a second more), must be big enough to be worthwhile but not enough to close schools... what am I missing?

Oh you’re missing something alright but I digress. I’m thinking one should start an AmericanSnow.com and the weenies can all go there. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Oh you’re missing something alright but I digress. I’m thinking one should start an AmericanSnow.com and the weenies can all go there. 

its for sale

https://www.buydomains.com/lander/americansnow.com?domain=americansnow.com&utm_source=americansnow.com&utm_medium=click&utm_campaign=TDFS-OO-BDLander&traffic_id=TDFS-OO-BDLander&traffic_type=tdfs&redirect=ono-redirect

• Like 1

KUzVKpzuqh.png

Fond memories here of freezing almost everyday till Feb. 10.    There was prep time too, as Oct./Nov. were also BN.  

There is an episode of Kojak which contained a scene at the Battery Park promenade with the Statue of Liberty in the background, filmed at this time.     Kojak and his 'contact' are obviously freezing and it looks like blocks of ice all the way out to the Statue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CIK62 said:

Fond memories here of freezing almost everyday till Feb. 10.    There was prep time too, as Oct./Nov. were also BN.  

There is an episode of Kojak which contained a scene at the Battery Park promenade with the Statue of Liberty in the background, filmed at this time.     Kojak and his 'contact' are obviously freezing and it looks like blocks of ice all the way out to the Statue.

That was the last time we got to experience a winter resembling the Little Ice Age.

http://nwafiles.nwas.org/digest/papers/1977/Vol02No4/1977v002no04-Wagner.pdf

SEVERE WINTER OF 1976-77: PRECURSORS AND PRECEDENTS
A. JAMES WAGNER
Long Range Prediction Group National Meteorological Center National Weather Service, NOAA Washington, DC 20233
ABSTRACT
The severe winter of 1976-77 over the eastern United States was related to an exceptionally strong and unusual pattern of tropospheric winds and pressure anomalies that persisted from the previous October. The record bitter cold that occurred during January was additionally due to the southward displacement of the cold polar Low, normally found over Northern Canada, by what appears to have been the strongest blo~king High ever observed over the Arctic region. A search of the records turned up. seve~al seve~ely co.ld w.ID:crs during the 20th Century. with that of 1917-18 being clo~est to the recent Winter 1D seventy, wlth slmllar antecedent and concurrent phenomena.

Asking a serious question. I read on here that climate change is the reason we've had bigger snow storms in the last 10-20 yrs, then its melted in a week or so, because of climate change. And it's going to get worse in the next few decades. Supposedly it's gotten so warm over the last 100 yrs? Maybe it has? But 100 yrs is a blip in the time frame of Earth's age. So. The last 100 or even 200 yrs of temperature or snowfall does not represent any global climate change caused by man. 100 , 200 or 300 yrs is is 1 second on the geological scale. Hence my question. What was the winter weather in the NYC area 800 yrs ago?

• Haha 2

Climate change aside, you are correct that there is a forum whiplash going on with a lot of emotion.

This winter has disappointed many on here, And it has led to wish casting and infighting. Immature.

And you are correct that all of a sudden this winter is being blamed on climate change. And as I politely point out, Our snow hole seems to be very localized.

Climate change is very real but you do a disservice to that information when every local whim of weather leads to crying wolf about climate change. It is also immature.

2 hours ago, sussexcountyobs said:

Still wondering where the snow/ice line was in 100-200 Bc? Also where it was between 950-1200 AD?

Funny thing is climatologists have a great idea where the snow line was back then. The ice ages are well known and documented by the movement of glaciers. Long Island was formed by glaciers in one of the last ice ages. I believe the glacier stopped mid island, the melt water created the Long Island sound, and the rocky north shore and glacial merrains form the southern extent. So we can approximate the rain snow line periods past. Not precisely of course, but generally yes.

Any more questions?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jfklganyc said:

Climate change aside, you are correct that there is a forum whiplash going on with a lot of emotion.

This winter has disappointed many on here, And it has led to wish casting and infighting. Immature.

And you are correct that all of a sudden this winter is being blamed on climate change. And as I politely point out, Our snow hole seems to be very localized.

Climate change is very real but you do a disservice to that information when every local whim of weather leads to crying wolf about climate change. It is also immature.

35 minutes ago, sussexcountyobs said:

Yup. If your 45 yrs old or older, this winter is not an anomaly caused by climate change. We had these winters in the 70's and 80's when the global warming crowd said we were heading into an ice age .

5 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

What I am genuinely concerned with is how people are so absolutely certain with respect to global warning, reminiscent of those who were absolutely certain of our mini ice age

Nobody is blaming this winter on climate change. Areas south of us got snow. Maybe the polar vortex dropping south caused by warmer sea temps in the arctic, but you guys are making stuff up. 

• Like 1