Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Meteorological Winter 2018 Banter

doncat

9 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Just checked out of curiosity, and EWR had as many 95+ days in 2018 as POU has had since 2014. We don't do heat well up here.

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Ehh, they can keep it :)  It's weird though how 90 up here feels so hot compared to 95+ down there.

Newark is the 95 degree day leader of the Northeast. But my part of Long Island near the South Shore has fewer 95 degree or warmer days than POU. For areas north of 40N in the US you have to get out into the Plains to see more 95 degree or warmer days than Newark.

95 degree or warmer days since 2014

POU...11

ALB....9

BTV....9

BOS...19

HFD....23

ISP.....3

JFK....5

LGA....24

EWR...41

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Newark is the 95 degree day leader of the Northeast. But my part of Long Island near the South Shore has fewer 95 degree or warmer days than POU. For areas north of 40N in the US you have to get out into the Plains to see more 95 degree or warmer days than Newark.

POU...11

ALB....9

BTV....9

BOS...19

BDL....23

ISP.....3

JFK....5

LGA....24

EWR...41

Growing up on the south shore, Oceanside, I don't remember many 95+ days at all. Where is the thermometer placed in Newark? Surrounded by asphalt, open to the SSW...? You want to know where 95 feels unbearable, try Alaska. Anything over ~80 feels oppressive and when it gets into the 90's your skin fries in minutes.

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Growing up on the south shore, Oceanside, I don't remember many 95+ days at all. Where is the thermometer placed in Newark? Surrounded by asphalt, open to the SSW...? You want to know where 95 feels unbearable, try Alaska. Anything over ~80 feels oppressive and when it gets into the 90's your skin fries in minutes.

The ASOS is a pretty standard sitting for an airport. If anything, it’s more prone to cooling from bay breezes on some days than the surrounding areas. The area around Newark is the hottest part of New Jersey. There is another weather station which I believe is a coop located nearby in Harrison. That station got even hotter than the airport during the early July 2018 heatwave.

Harrison 

7-1-18....99/78

7-2-18....101/76

7-3-18....98/78

7-4-18....96/76

Newark...EWR

7-1-18......98/77

7-2-18......96/75

7-3-18......94/77

7-4-18......89/76

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dave0176 said:

I can say I’m pretty much done with winter, don’t get me wrong I love a lot of snow and extreme cold, I’m a steam boiler guy my business depends on cold. But it also depends on AC in the summer. However I love summer more, I love extreme heat, I love July days 95-100 degrees with the sun out, with the daylight now extending my body is telling me it’s time to go outside but it’s still too cold. After St.Paddys day I am truly done and hoping we have some sort of spring this year. Also hoping to have a hot summer not a steamy one like the last 3 or 4 seem to have been. I have two Harley’s and they got cabin fever, I’m a fair weather rider so no rain or cold riding for me. 

I know a few good guys in local 68 and they all seem to like the heat as well, some were Navy guys. One even bought a house in Colombia ( and he's Irish ) but me I can't take the heat. There's nothing like a nice mild summer in ME on a clear lake full of bass and white perch, among other things. I see you're in Port Reading; I used to love dumping my old boat in the water at Sewaren and powering out to the bay for a day of flounder fishing in the spring and fluke and blues in the summer ( it was before the striped bass rebounded and now have started to decline again ) but I have had it with hot weather. For one, the sun causes skin cancer and you really have to cover up in it; the greasy sunscreen doesn't do anything but prevent a burn you're still getting the damaging rays. They make great clothes for it today but in the humidity we have they still get hot. And the haze. The yellow haze that comes up in summer. You don't realize it til you go someplace where they don't have it. Those particulates are killing people. Hope you enjoy your Harleys and be careful! People just don't pay attention enough to either motorcycles or bicycles and I have known people injured seriously on both. Well, joggers too, but I digress. 

9 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

95 sucks, I love round numbers, so 100 is a lot better.  At least it looks better lol and you get to say you experienced 100 degree heat.

Keep it around 70. Perfect. Anything over 75 gets uncomfortable, and at 100 I am not leaving the house. And I don't.

3 hours ago, ILoveWinter said:

Haha true. But whatever the max possible temp NYC can reach pales to several other cities.  I spent some time in Persian Gulf (Dubai and Doha) in summer and I can tell you that the heat was incredible.  115 easily and some days with excessive humidity (espec in Dubai though I think the world record heat index of 178 was at Dhahran Saudi Arabia with 108 at 95%). 

It was downright dangerous to be active outside for more than 10 mins - I of course was intrigued by all of it and did force myself to walk around just for the experience.  So hot that I had to cover my cheeks with my hands due to the burn. 

My late dad was stationed in the Middle East during WW 2 and said he didn't bother to dry off after showering because by the time he got back to his tent he was dry. After the war he hated the heat and refused to visit friends in AZ and only bought a house in S Fl because my late mom loved FL so much. He'd go there in winter ( he didn't like cold either, was a teamster who drove through NYC winters all his life ) but not in summer. I miss them both every day.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, forkyfork said:

happy bust day

20010303f84.gif

The day that will live in infamy; cost a Philly met his job IIRC. Still takes the cake for biggest bust of all time here and we've had many; getting 5-10 in recent years when you expected 2 feet is a bust, sure; getting the dusting of sleet we had out here over two days is in a class by itself.

4 hours ago, bluewave said:

POU...11

ALB....9

BTV....9

BOS...19

HFD....23

ISP.....3

JFK....5

LGA....24

EWR...41

Thanks for compiling that for easy comparisons. I know BTV benefits from downsloping in the summertime, but that's still a higher count for there than I would have guessed.

49 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Thanks for compiling that for easy comparisons. I know BTV benefits from downsloping in the summertime, but that's still a higher count for there than I would have guessed.

Sure. 5 of those 95 degrees days at BTV were last July with the record warmest July at 76.0 and +5.4.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

The day that will live in infamy; cost a Philly met his job IIRC. Still takes the cake for biggest bust of all time here and we've had many; getting 5-10 in recent years when you expected 2 feet is a bust, sure; getting the dusting of sleet we had out here over two days is in a class by itself.

had the phase worked out properly nyc would have gotten 30+

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

had the phase worked out properly nyc would have gotten 30+

I know. I remember the celebrations at work that we had dodged a bullet. This is the reaction most people have when they hear that snow isn't happening. I used to think it was an adult thing, but these days a lot of the kids don't even seem to like snow much.

• Confused 1

The signs were there looking back-models gradually moved the goods N and E slowly but surely....plus the tendency for a later phase in general than models tend to show in these types of setups.   Could not believe we went from feet to inches....got about 8-10 here in the end with much higher amounts just North and East of us.   EPIC BUSTORAMA that hasn't been seen since.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

The signs were there looking back-models gradually moved the goods N and E slowly but surely....plus the tendency for a later phase in general than models tend to show in these types of setups.   Could not believe we went from feet to inches....got about 8-10 here in the end with much higher amounts just North and East of us.   EPIC BUSTORAMA that hasn't been seen since.

I think there’s another that happened 4 years ago that I’ve been actively trying to forget. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I think there’s another that happened 4 years ago that I’ve been actively trying to forget. 

Saw that one coming earlier though....but the weather service, once committed to a warning, sometimes is slow to give up on it, maybe for sound reasons, i don't know.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

8-10 would have been ok, we had nothing but some light sleet, not enough to cover the grasstops. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Saw that one coming earlier though....but the weather service, once committed to a warning, sometimes is slow to give up on it, maybe for sound reasons, i don't know.

Perhaps I don’t remember it correctly because it’s been nearly 20 years but I remember the expected totals forecasted being lowered in increments as the storm got close over a few days.

The Jan 15 bust was the day the Euro was no longer infallible. They had 24-36 inches for me at the onset of the storm. I ended with 5 lol. 

Both were terrible. Perhaps 2015 is just a fresher wound. 

42 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Jan 2015 storm.  Same deal here, Upton went 2-3 feet, got 8-10.

31 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

8-10 would have been ok, we had nothing but some light sleet, not enough to cover the grasstops. 

Yeah we were lucky enough to catch the western edge of the CCB, NYC south and west was almost nothing at all....horrid.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Hey just curious because I've been around a lot of middle school earth science material lately..  Why would 95 feel more unbearable in Alaska, and why would sunburn be greater?  Long duration of insolation but relatively low angle, at least compared to the lower 48.  Is it generally particularly humid when it gets that warm?  Or is it just that its all relative and the 90s are harder to take after very low lows in the winter?  Tried to get all the earth science I could into that response lol.

1 hour ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Hey just curious because I've been around a lot of middle school earth science material lately..  Why would 95 feel more unbearable in Alaska, and why would sunburn be greater?  Long duration of insolation but relatively low angle, at least compared to the lower 48.  Is it generally particularly humid when it gets that warm?  Or is it just that its all relative and the 90s are harder to take after very low lows in the winter?  Tried to get all the earth science I could into that response lol.

Good question. There are a few reasons that I can think of off the top of my head. First is that the ozone layer is thinner the further north you get so the sun is more powerful. Next is during the summer the sun angle that far north is very high at midday so it really cooks. Keep in mind that having 22 hours of sunlight means that it's hot for longer because it doesn't cool down completely. Hmm, yes it is quite humid when it gets like that because, at least in the areas I spent time, it's exceptionally lush so the evaporation rate is significant. I hadn't really thought about that aspect until you asked. 

21 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Good question. There are a few reasons that I can think of off the top of my head. First is that the ozone layer is thinner the further north you get so the sun is more powerful. Next is during the summer the sun angle that far north is very high at midday so it really cooks. Keep in mind that having 22 hours of sunlight means that it's hot for longer because it doesn't cool down completely. Hmm, yes it is quite humid when it gets like that because, at least in the areas I spent time, it's exceptionally lush so the evaporation rate is significant. I hadn't really thought about that aspect until you asked. 

It was a big problem in Chile too, with the govt often warning people on some days about sun intensity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nibor said:

Perhaps I don’t remember it correctly because it’s been nearly 20 years but I remember the expected totals forecasted being lowered in increments as the storm got close over a few days.

The Jan 15 bust was the day the Euro was no longer infallible. They had 24-36 inches for me at the onset of the storm. I ended with 5 lol. 

Both were terrible. Perhaps 2015 is just a fresher wound. 

March 2017 was equally as bad around here, they never dropped the warning and we got around 5 or so of sleet, no real snow. Impressive sleet, but still.....and the 2nd storm last March too, 4 inches. This happens enough these days that I question the efficacy of the models, which ultimately can't always tell what will happen. And also Feb 6 2010, I was expected to get 8-12. Got 3.

8 hours ago, gravitylover said:

The further south you get in Chile the more similar it is to going far north in North America in relation to summertime sun angles and ozone layer thickness and effectiveness.

Yes a friend is a physician down there, it's a serious concern; people think of South Americans are darker skinned and less likely to get skin cancer but this is untrue, for one, darker skinned people can and do get skin cancer ( though it tends to be on the hands and feet ) and there are plenty of light skinned folks in South America, and also, when the ozone layer is thinned, the rays are going to be more powerful, as I understand it. OTOH, it is believed vitamin D levels are directly related to enough sun exposure and may prevent many diseases. But I think you only need about 20 minutes worth ( which is enough to burn for some folks )

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 10:35 AM, jfklganyc said:

Check out this photo from Belleayre yesterday.

What a great winter they are having!

Im also enjoying the winter week of snow covered ground and cold down by us!

DC1928E0-6288-4D18-8CFD-F56C062B4C88.jpeg

Places in the sun are patchy coverage by me, but shaded areas still have a few inches or more of cement.