• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Meteorological Winter 2018 Banter

doncat

And I’m sure there have been lots of accidents driving kids to school in the snow, rain, wind and sun.

Life isnt a padded room...Stop thinking it is. 

It is about using liability To control the masses under the guise of safety. The people that brought you the DMV and post office are going to keep you safe in a storm.

When you make excuses for it like you did in the last post you’re enabling it.

https://www.weather.gov/mpx/snowymonth

This month has been so snowy that it is setting records for daily and monthly totals.  On February 12th, Eau Claire, Wisconsin set a record for their snowiest February on record, and they continue to demolish this record total with each additional storm.  The Twin Cities and St. Cloud also broke their February snowfall record as of February 20th, and continue to add to the record total.  

In addition, Eau Claire has had the all-time snowiest month on record this February with 48.3" as of February 25th.  This shattered the previous monthly snowfall record from January of 1929 when 35.3" fell. 

Eau Claire has also broken the record for the most snow during meteorological winter (December through February).  As of February 25th, Eau Claire has received 67.6" of snow.  The previous record was 61.6" during the winter months of 1996-1997.   

https://mobile.twitter.com/NWSBayArea/status/1100564485440528384

Upon further review, the 5.66" of rain that fell in Santa Rosa today would break the all-time daily precipitation record for the climate site. Records for the City of Santa Rosa go back to 1902.

https://mobile.twitter.com/metoffice/status/1100432569617797122

Kew Gardens has reached 21.2 °C which is the UK's new maximum temperature record for February, winter and the year so far

• Confused 1

On 2/26/2019 at 11:54 AM, bluewave said:

https://www.weather.gov/mpx/snowymonth

This month has been so snowy that it is setting records for daily and monthly totals.  On February 12th, Eau Claire, Wisconsin set a record for their snowiest February on record, and they continue to demolish this record total with each additional storm.  The Twin Cities and St. Cloud also broke their February snowfall record as of February 20th, and continue to add to the record total.  

In addition, Eau Claire has had the all-time snowiest month on record this February with 48.3" as of February 25th.  This shattered the previous monthly snowfall record from January of 1929 when 35.3" fell. 

Eau Claire has also broken the record for the most snow during meteorological winter (December through February).  As of February 25th, Eau Claire has received 67.6" of snow.  The previous record was 61.6" during the winter months of 1996-1997.   

Practically unheard of for MN/WI to have big El Niño snow years. Many jaws would hit floors if you took the headlines for this winter and told them it wasn’t a strong Nina .

10 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Practically unheard of for MN/WI to have big El Niño snow years. Many jaws would hit floors if you took the headlines for this winter and told them it wasn’t a strong Nina .

Ya know I keep hearing too about no blocking screwing us this winter, yet this has not prevented areas to the south of us from getting snow. I've thrown in my towel, and am not gonna invest too much in any piddly events that might eke out a few inches here or there before spring. I am more than ready for warmth, this latest cold snap has my skin drying out again, and I'm just sick of the cold rain and dry cold. Spring can't come soon enough.

10 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that spring won't be as pleasant as we'd like. My crystal ball says it's gonna be back door hell :( 

Have you forgotten? The very moment that peak snow climo ends, Grieg's "Morning Mood" starts playing as lawns flash to green, lemonade stands phase into existence, and BBQs self-ignite. March and April are always such idyllic months of wx.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that spring won't be as pleasant as we'd like. My crystal ball says it's gonna be back door hell :( 

I'm too close to the city to be worried about back door snows, March ain't a big performer out here. But cold rains and easterly winds, yeah, that would suck.

• Confused 1

Just now, Juliancolton said:

Have you forgotten? The very moment that peak snow climo ends, Grieg's "Morning Mood" starts playing as lawns flash to green, lemonade stands phase into existence, and BBQs self-ignite. March and April are always such idyllic months of wx.

It's warm enough for my skin to recover, but generally, yeah, " April is the cruelest month." Then we go right to hot and muggy with algae overgrown lakes and fish kills. 

1 hour ago, weatherpruf said:

Ya know I keep hearing too about no blocking screwing us this winter, yet this has not prevented areas to the south of us from getting snow. I've thrown in my towel, and am not gonna invest too much in any piddly events that might eke out a few inches here or there before spring. I am more than ready for warmth, this latest cold snap has my skin drying out again, and I'm just sick of the cold rain and dry cold. Spring can't come soon enough.

Yeah, this winter is one horrible joke that someone repeats over and over again as if it’s funny. And this week just to reiterate, a snow event is happening for I-90 tonight that will shoot over us, and an event 2 days from now will likely get suppressed underneath us as it dries up, much as the last snow/rain “event” did. The Mon AM event does seem somewhat interesting but I wont bite until 48-60 hours out, and this winter that may even be too long before something ruins it-it becomes a cutter or gets confluenced/suppressed to the gutter. For any snow lover in NYC, this winter has been just beyond sucky. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Yeah, this winter is one horrible joke that someone repeats over and over again as if it’s funny. And this week just to reiterate, a snow event is happening for I-90 tonight that will shoot over us, and an event 2 days from now will likely get suppressed underneath us as it dries up, much as the last snow/rain “event” did. The Mon AM event does seem somewhat interesting but I wont bite until 48-60 hours out, and this winter that may even be too long before something ruins it-it becomes a cutter or gets confluenced/suppressed to the gutter. For any snow lover in NYC, this winter has been just beyond sucky. 

Philly to Boston essentially; my BIL in ME is screaming at the snow. Folks I met from NC had a ten inch storm, about what we've gotten for the whole season, most of that in Nov. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Philly to Boston essentially; my BIL in ME is screaming at the snow. Folks I met from NC had a ten inch storm, about what we've gotten for the whole season, most of that in Nov. 

West of here's been OK also. I was in State College this weekend and there was decent, 5" or so snow coverage. Harrisburg is above normal so far this season. It's really just been the coastal plain in this area that's been completely shafted. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

I'm too close to the city to be worried about back door snows, March ain't a big performer out here. But cold rains and easterly winds, yeah, that would suck.

Nah it's gonna be 42* and dreary, no snow. With already thoroughly saturated ground I don't expect it to be nice in the woods until the leaves pop and the trees suck the ground dry. It might be bearable if the golf courses manage to dry out but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

West of here's been OK also. I was in State College this weekend and there was decent, 5" or so snow coverage. Harrisburg is above normal so far this season. It's really just been the coastal plain in this area that's been completely shafted. 

This has actually been easily State College’s best winter since 14/15. We were shafted hard my first three years in school so it’s kind of nice to see the tables turn a bit even though it’s screwing the coastal plain. 

10 hours ago, Winter Wizard said:

This has actually been easily State College’s best winter since 14/15. We were shafted hard my first three years in school so it’s kind of nice to see the tables turn a bit even though it’s screwing the coastal plain. 

I went to school there in the mid and late 2000s when winters there were awful for snow. I feel the pain and it’s good that Central PA is finally doing OK and having a good snow season, especially since there are ski resorts there that rely on it. 

As for us, our average is what it is for a reason and it was inevitable we’d have winters like these to make up for the bonanza seasons. The way it’s happening with this snow hole staying so constant all season is crazy. Very rare for DC and Richmond to be above average for snow along with NNE while PHL to BOS are well below. Usually one suffers at the expense of the other. 

6 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Yeah I was pretty sure. Time to make him go away again.

Im not that person, I just figured we’d discuss each threat in its own thread. The moderators can delete them if they want but I noticed too many times we post stuff on the monthly thread and we miss important stuff with banter. This way we can discuss everything on its own. I didn’t do anything wrong here did I? If I did I’ll delete the threads sorry about the inconvenience.

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

@Rjay @BxEngine what's with the obs threads other than the good ones that Walt starts? Is this weatherminator guy who I think it is?

Next someone is going to complain that they need to be pinned.  The only threads that need to be pinned IMO are the ones with useful info that people don't post in like the storm tracking images thread because it can easily get lost.  Storm threads are naturally always going to be near the top of the page with everyone posting snow accumulation maps anyway.   

London is the new Los Angeles.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/26/world/europe/climate-change-hottest-day-uk.html

Temperatures peaked on Tuesday at 21.2 degrees Celsius (70.16 Fahrenheit) in Kew Gardens, London, the hottest February day in Britain since records began in 1910, according to the Met Office, the national meteorological service.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NWSLosAngeles/status/1100382369662595073

With only 3 days to go, this will likely be the first February on record for Downtown Los Angeles that the high temperature will not reach 70 degrees since records have been kept going back to 1877. (141 years)

• Like 1