Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Meteorological Winter 2018 Banter

doncat

8 minutes ago, bluewave said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/02/21/scotland-breaks-all-time-february-temperature-record-unusual-winter-europe-heatwave/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.767787072a48

Aboyne, Scotland, which is located farther north than Kodiak Island, Alaska, reached 65 degrees Thursday afternoon. It’s a new maximum temperature record for February across all of Scotland. The previous record stood for 122 years — since 1897

This comes just a week after Berlin set its record high temperature for February at 62 degrees.

Do you know what the previous records were?

5 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Do you know what the previous records were?

Aboyne in Aberdeenshire saw the mercury rise to a maximum temperature of 18.3C yesterday afternoon. The peak beat the previous high of 17.9C, which was recorded in Aberdeen on 22 February 1897.

Read more at: https://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland-smashes-maximum-temperature-record-for-february-1-4876990

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

There are some really pretty areas in the NW and W part of NJ and some really expensive real estate there!

The parts of NJ with the 2000+ toxic superfund sites and the resulting highest rates of autism in the country need to be avoided though.  I heard they found high amounts of lead in the tap water in some counties in NE NJ.

It's a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde state, the pretty parts are REALLY nice and the urbanized areas are not.

Actually real estate In those parts are much cheaper. The areas 10-30 miles from the city are where most of the million dollar plus homes are

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

Actually real estate In those parts are much cheaper. The areas 10-30 miles from the city are where most of the million dollar plus homes are

Thanks, I was thinking of Somerset County, where some of the really high property taxes are.  Three of the highest property taxed counties in the country are in NJ.  NY has a few counties right up there too.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/02/18/fragrant-february-declared-rhs-say-hot-summer-mild-winter-have/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

The coming weeks are set to be the most mild on record for the month of February, and now the Royal Horticultural Society say it's set to be the most fragrant too.

Britain's garden's are going in to bloom earlier this year, with seasonal flowers including witch hazel, winter-flowering viburnums, shrubby honeysuckles and Edgeworthia flowering larger and more profusely as a result of last year's hot, sunny summer and a lack of hard frosts this winter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SimonLeeWx/status/1099333078915403776

Blackthorn blossom in Reading today... and even a few honey bees at work on some of these flowers! What month is it?

• Like 1

I think the problem this winter is no sustained cold air. Minneapolis has the snowiest February ever. So that jet stream is not staying south while we precipitate resulting a warmer solution like snow to rain or just rain. We need a nice +PNA trough to get that sustained block from storms cutting into the lakes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/weather/2019/02/22/its-snowiest-february-record-minneapolis-blizzard-could-hit-this-weekend/

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, WEATHERMINATOR said:

Euro shows some snow Wednesday for our area  verbatim 1-3

12z GGEM gives us a 4 to 6 inch snowstorm on Friday. Not that I believe that solution, but I think people are calling this winter over too quickly. We have a lot of cold air for the next 2 weeks, except for perhaps a very brief spike in temps for saturday March 2nd. With cold air for 2 weeks, snow is not out of the question.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/23/2019 at 1:00 PM, bluewave said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/02/18/fragrant-february-declared-rhs-say-hot-summer-mild-winter-have/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

The coming weeks are set to be the most mild on record for the month of February, and now the Royal Horticultural Society say it's set to be the most fragrant too.

Britain's garden's are going in to bloom earlier this year, with seasonal flowers including witch hazel, winter-flowering viburnums, shrubby honeysuckles and Edgeworthia flowering larger and more profusely as a result of last year's hot, sunny summer and a lack of hard frosts this winter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SimonLeeWx/status/1099333078915403776

Blackthorn blossom in Reading today... and even a few honey bees at work on some of these flowers! What month is it?

Well it's good to see that the honey bee numbers are going back up.  Maybe the EU ban on neocortinoid pesticides has had an effect.

4 hours ago, bluewave said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/metoffice/status/1099657944365436930

Provisional February Record for Wales!!!
Temperatures have soared to 19 Celsius!

*** BREAKING NEWS *** #Wales has provisionally seen its highest ever February temperature at Gogerddan!! The previous record was 18.6 °C at Velindre on 23rd 1990

Interesting.  We've seen these kind of records in February in such distant places as Australia and Atlanta.  Atlanta had its earliest 80 degree temperature ever, Australia had its worst heat wave and I believe the highest temperature ever recorded at an ocean beach location? It was 120+ about 100 meters from the beach- anyone who stepped on that sand would have had severe burns!

8 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

So much of the country has had an amazing winter too; out west, the midwest and plains. Incredible amounts of snow

Parts of AZ getting buried now an awesome blizzard in the upper midwest, UP of Michigan

The highlight of our winter remains the 15 minute squall

I wonder what winter had the smallest accumulation in the largest storm they had that stayed all snow?  Around here, the largest storm that stayed all snow had like half an inch of snow lol.  That has to be some sort of record.  That 6.4 inch storm in November (which was 4.7 inches here) didn't stay as snow either and changed over to rain and was all gone by next morning.

1 hour ago, jfklganyc said:

All the bridges closed to trucks.Massive delays. Fourth time this year.

I lived in New York my whole life.

we never closed bridges, We never closed schools, We never ever shut down the subway.

Weather hysteria thanks to the weather Channel and social media

Correct. Do you see now how often NJ calls a State of Emergency? It's every storm now. It used to be once or twice a decade; now it's a winter weather advisory. 

10 hours ago, North and West said:

Correct. Do you see now how often NJ calls a State of Emergency? It's every storm now. It used to be once or twice a decade; now it's a winter weather advisory. 

It's so overdone it's embarrassing. The current governor of NJ seems to be the biggest culprit. I'm surprised he didn't declare a state of emergency for todays winds.

3 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

It's so overdone it's embarrassing. The current governor of NJ seems to be the biggest culprit. I'm surprised he didn't declare a state of emergency for todays winds.

He's still trying to make up for the November storm. 

I agree that it's embarrassing, he's treating NJ like it's GA. 

• Like 1