Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Meteorological Winter 2018 Banter

doncat

On 2/9/2019 at 10:41 AM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Well if this winter wasn’t proof that the largest body of water on the planet runs show I do not know what is. And you know we are getting snow in April and a cold wet early spring when ATL side blocking finally does materialize 

it's also the SE ridge- the weather in the SE has been exceptionally warm.

But to tell you the truth, I'm ready to pay someone a few billion dollars to do some geoengineering and evaporate half the Pacific Ocean ;-)  It's filled with plastic trash anyway let's just put it out of its misery.

To tell you the truth, I enjoy April snows so if we pulled off another 6+ snowfall in April I'd be happy.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 11:46 AM, Snowshack said:

Have to agree especially in our backyard.   At least this year you can look to our north, west, and to some extent south and see wintry weather.     We've had some years where it feels like winter  is on hiatus nationally, that hasnt really been the case this year.   Bad luck in a sense..

seasonal.PNG

Boston's low total has been even more anomalous

13 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Central Park recorded 1.2 inches of snow today.

Central Park now needs 29.5 inches of snow between now and December 31, 2020 for the seasonal snowfall average to reach 30 inches in NYC when the next averages are recalculated again in Jan 2021.

Wow, thanks to this dud of a winter that may not happen.  We basically need 29.5 between the rest of this month, March, and next December.  I'm not going to include April or November in this although it can snow in those months too obviously.  I'll be really angry if it snows in November again lol.

*oops sorry I thought it was between now and the end of 2019 not 2020 haha.  So we have one entire winter after this one to get there, plus the start of the next one.

Considerably improves our chances, although if we keep the + NAO going we'll still have a tough time getting there.

So who's moving to the Sierra Nevada?

Western Plumas County/Lassen Park-
West Slope Northern Sierra Nevada-
300 AM PST Thu Feb 14 2019

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM PST
SATURDAY...
 WHAT...Moderate to heavy rain this morning with heavy snow
  accumulation limited to the higher peaks. Heavy snow returns to
  the pass levels around midday with snow levels lowering below
  3500 feet tonight. Travel will be very difficult to impossible.
  Damage to trees and power lines is possible. Additional snow
  accumulations of 3 to 5 feet above 3500 feet, with local
  accumulations of 7 to 8 feet, are expected.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, weatherpruf said:

No Ant, the people there aren't happy about it. Most put up with it because the few warmer months are really special. I spent many summer vacations there on the lakes.

In fairness there are plenty of winter lovers there and unlike here, a lot more winter activities to take advantage of.   

1 hour ago, Snow88 said:

I wish I lived in Maine

Almost moved there 20+ years ago.   Had a job offer in your line of work in Portland.  My new bride didn’t want to move that far so it didn’t work out, but we’ve been back many times.  It’s a great place to live and raise a family.  My advice, take a hard look.  

2 hours ago, Snowshack said:

In fairness there are plenty of winter lovers there and unlike here, a lot more winter activities to take advantage of.   

Almost moved there 20+ years ago.   Had a job offer in your line of work in Portland.  My new bride didn’t want to move that far so it didn’t work out, but we’ve been back many times.  It’s a great place to live and raise a family.  My advice, take a hard look.  

If you like fishing it's tough to beat. Saltwater isn't so great ( and that's true everywhere these days due to commercial overharvest )but freshwater is incredible. And there are plenty of clean lakes to do it in, and you can actually run a motorboat in them. The water is also clean in most places. Cost of living isn't great, taxes aren't great, and employment isn't so hot. It is the oldest state by age ( and it shows ) but if you are a recent college grad they are offering a sweet deal on helping with your loans, especially in STEM fields. There's never a summer haze either. Downside, I've been there on Memorial Day and it was too cold to do anything; most years are fine but it can be cold. And gnats; early summer they will eat you alive. Also, the state attracts a lot of people looking to go off the grid or just get away from something and sometimes encounters with these folks can be unpleasant. Had one follow me up and down an interstate for flipping him the bird one time. And, you can get lost, and stay lost, as in no one might ever find you. There's some genuine wilderness up there. Go out unprepared, you will pay the consequences.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, NEG NAO said:

go to your profile and In a box on the left hand side it says ignored users - click on that and you enter the users name - I don't have any users ignored because then you don't know if they made a very rude personal attack against you so you can report them...……..

:lol:

If you have to report people more than, like, once every ten years, the problem is definitely with you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

:lol:

If you have to report people more than, like, once every ten years, the problem is definitely with you.

Agreed.  I believe though that @Nibor was referring to the reactions available on the bottom right of posts (smile, laugh, thanks, etc.) and not folks responses to his posts.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

No Ant, the people there aren't happy about it. Most put up with it because the few warmer months are really special. I spent many summer vacations there on the lakes.

I would totally spend summers there. Getting tired of extreme heat and humidity but don't need the Maine winters except for maybe a week or two to get the desire for snow and cold out of my system

24 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Agreed.  I believe though that @Nibor was referring to the reactions available on the bottom right of posts (smile, laugh, thanks, etc.) and not folks responses to his posts.   

It's a good question. The reaction functionality is useful for the most part (you don't have to quote 9 images just to say "thanks" anymore, though some people still do, inexplicably), although there are one or two who take it to extremes. I think the old rep system had a daily limit, and a fairly low one IIRC. Something like that would prevent waking up to 50 "confused" reacts from the same person every morning.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

I know more people that live in ME and the other snowy zones of New England because it snows a lot and has serious winter weather than otherwise. In fact ME or NH are high on our hit list for when we finally get to leave here. I'm torn between there and the middle Keys, terminally warm sounds appealing but rising sea levels may put the kibosh on that line of thinking. 

30 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I know more people that live in ME and the other snowy zones of New England because it snows a lot and has serious winter weather than otherwise. In fact ME or NH are high on our hit list for when we finally get to leave here. I'm torn between there and the middle Keys, terminally warm sounds appealing but rising sea levels may put the kibosh on that line of thinking. 

With your advanced age do you really think it matters? :pimp:

• Haha 1

Just for S's and G's, here is a collection of memorable quotes from the January discussion thread.  no attempt was made to preserve context:

CMC also has the makings of a HECS @ 240.

There is no SE ridge

Its coming, finally.

00Z Para GFS actually looks great. 

Euro looks a little better.

Why cant we see a storm go west to east at our latitude?

A piece of the PV is in Canada.

Gefs is pretty nice for the NYC area. 

Para gfs has about a foot for NYC with over 20 inches for inland areas 

Good sign considering the ensembles are usually too dry this far out.

Weeklies are great moving forward

Long Island has a new "snow fighting strategy" they said they expect to deploy when the big surprise snowstorms strike later this winter.

The pattern flip started today

the MJO, will bite you in the bum

Do we need more probes 

I heard weird musical sounds 

The substantial snow for nyc doesn’t come until tomorrow night

I like the potential moving forward.  Let's not get caught up in track details 

The NAM is on its way to producing a big low offshore 

It’s getting very hard now

yup, going to be big

It may be premature

Usually the positive depth change map deflates weenies.

Still doubt anyone sees over 1 inch

I might have to give myself a timeout.

Maybe this Sunday the snow will accumulate

I hope there’s a way for someone with your skills to get paid

Remember a week ago when people were panicking and declaring January over?

Hopefully, no one was hurt.

A dusting to a coating on all surfaces.

I'll take a huge snowstorm over these dusting events any day 

This is going to be the biggest hit this year

Yes, there's lots of potential on the EPS. 

Too many people staring at RMM plots when we have big time potential in the not too distance future.

Next weekend is the real story.

could've been a KU with a differently timed northern stream

it feels like mid-January outside.

I am North and West... but not enough.

I've been a heat distribution theory fan for a long time 

We don't need a met for this discussion

Non stop cold and snow

NAM and Euro just dropped 12-18" cold powder

There is a difference between a pattern that supports a storm and a pattern that doesn't.

the 12Z run showed this weekend's storm as a monster.

I currently have some snow flurries falling here.

Starting to tick NW on guidance, to bad its ticking back from Bermuda.

Winter is coming

Does it look like the cold pattern will last all the way through February and into March?

Anyone have the snowfall amounts from today's event?

Is this a trick question?

Personally I liked the 1995-96 winter a lot better.

I often neglect to keep records because I figure there's no way I'll still be living

Too much living and dying by every model run in here.

I hope you're recording now at least, its never too late to start recording weather obs.

I shouldn't have put gas in that new snowblower.

The winter that keeps fooling everyone

The question is, do we count Nov 15th

I'll take the over.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1