• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Meteorological Winter 2018 Banter

doncat

Wooo, here comes a lousy Nina SWFE on Tue in a semi-Nino that'll maybe give me a slop 2-3" which will be gone 2-3 hours later in the inevitable washout. The favored NW areas and New England though will get a solid 6" dump followed by sleet to lock it in. Not to mention, SWFEs almost to a T trend warm at the very end. I guess except our rogue November 15th SWFE this year which was the last time I had an inch of snow in an event, where south, north and west have all seen plenty. 

Count me among those rooting on spring and an end to this disaster. The 55-60 a few days ago felt great. I couldn't care less about a tease to another cold washout like this Tuesday's becoming. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2019 at 4:30 PM, hooralph said:

I just wanted to jump into this thread to say: this winter sucks, so hard. So very, very hard. I would take the wall-to-wall warmth of 2011-2012 over this. Even with the cold snaps, it ranks up there with the banal dullness of 1991-1992. The sidewalks are disgusting with grime and salt from last week's Squallpocalpyse and Polar Vortex Death Freeze. We need an Old Testament-style flooding rain to cleanse the city like the filthy hellhole it is.

Can we just hurry up and get to the inevitable cool, damp spring?

Carry on.

It really just is that sucktastic. The 0.10" or so of rain today washed off maybe half the salt left on my car from said cold couple of days followed by torch and rain. 

We're due for an awful winter down here, it's just how it is, but this one really does suck. To have DC and Richmond leap over us? And now probably Seattle? 

Curious to see if there's ever been a winter where DC, Richmond, and Seattle all finished higher in seasonal snow than NYC. DC/Richmond may in a suppressed Nino, Seattle may in some Ninas. This "winter" may do it. 

• Like 1

SnoSki14

Posted November 13, 2018
I'm going to enjoy my 20 minutes of sleet before it turns to a cold rain. 

Honestly I'm just happy the pattern is so active. November will be well AN Precip wise , it already is.

qg_omega

Posted November 13, 2018
  On 11/13/2018 at 10:15 AM, Snowlover11 said:
while im not expecting anything great seeing flakes in the air will be nice to see.

I think we can pull off a coating to 2 inches at the start before going to sleet/rain

Merry 

10 hours ago, jm1220 said:

It really just is that sucktastic. The 0.10" or so of rain today washed off maybe half the salt left on my car from said cold couple of days followed by torch and rain. 

We're due for an awful winter down here, it's just how it is, but this one really does suck. To have DC and Richmond leap over us? And now probably Seattle? 

Curious to see if there's ever been a winter where DC, Richmond, and Seattle all finished higher in seasonal snow than NYC. DC/Richmond may in a suppressed Nino, Seattle may in some Ninas. This "winter" may do it. 

Everything that could go wrong has gone wrong.   The SSW was a joke, no Atl blocking to speak of and a Pac Jet from hell. 2 impressive arctic outbreaks but nothing to lock in the cold airmass... Now the upcoming -PNA will just seal the deal.    Bring on spring.  (agree with the 01-02 and 11-12 comment-just give me wall to wall warmth instead of this garbage)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, NYCweatherNOW said:

SnoSki14

Posted November 13, 2018
I'm going to enjoy my 20 minutes of sleet before it turns to a cold rain. 

Honestly I'm just happy the pattern is so active. November will be well AN Precip wise , it already is.

qg_omega

Posted November 13, 2018
  On 11/13/2018 at 10:15 AM, Snowlover11 said:
while im not expecting anything great seeing flakes in the air will be nice to see.

I think we can pull off a coating to 2 inches at the start before going to sleet/rain

Merry 

I don’t get the point of calling out people for missed forecasts. If we pointed out all the calls for straight snow a week out, we’d be  well over average with snowfall. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

Everything that could go wrong has gone wrong.   The SSW was a joke, no Atl blocking to speak of and a Pac Jet from hell. 2 impressive arctic outbreaks but nothing to lock in the cold airmass... Now the upcoming -PNA will just seal the deal.    Bring on spring.  (agree with the 01-02 and 11-12 comment-just give me wall to wall warmth instead of this garbage)

Well if this winter wasn’t proof that the largest body of water on the planet runs show I do not know what is. And you know we are getting snow in April and a cold wet early spring when ATL side blocking finally does materialize 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, CIK62 said:

Keeping track of winter to date and what we need to get to Normal by winter's end.   Hopefully the last column goes positive quickly.   However, projecting to day 40, we could be at +4.6, -3.7---worst case.

Day #     Degs. +/-     Winter td .     ToNormal

32.             +097             +3.0                 -1.7

33.            +102              +3.1                 -1.8

34.           +108              +3.2                 -1.9

35.           +116              +3.3                 -2.1

36.          +127               +3.5                 -2.4

37.          +134               +3.6                -2.5            CFS is 16AN   14BN on the next 30 days.

38.          +131              +3.4                 -2.5           CFS is  20AN   10BN on the next 30 days.

39.          +138              +3.5                 -2.7

40.          +146              +3.7                -2.9

41.         +145              +3.5                 -3.0             CFS is 20BN   10AN on the next 30 days.   Nice improvement.

42          +139             +3.3                  -2.9

Estimating a +2.8 for the first half of the winter ie. by Day 46.

43.         +135            +3.1                 -2 8

44.         +132            +3.0                 -2.9

45.         +127            +2.8                 -2.8

46.         +126            +2.7                 -2.9

47.         +129            +2.7                 -3.0

48.         +126            +2.6                 -3.0 

49.         +128           +2.6                  -3.1

50.         +131          +2.6                  -3.3        CFS is 20BN  10AN on the next 30 days.    Snow to date is 7.1", probably should be 11.5" by Jan. 19th.

51.         +127          +2.5                  -3.3

52.        +104           +2.0.                -2.7

53.        +094          +1.8                  -2.5

54.        +104          +1.9                  -2.9

55.        +119          +2.2                  -3.4

56.        +121         +2.2                   -3.6

57.        +118          +2.1                  -3.6

58.       +126          +2.2                   -3.9  

59.       +125          +2.1                   -4.0

60.       +126          +2.1                   -4.2

61.       +114         +1.9                    -3.9     

Feb. has its work cut out for it (a little easier after today is assimilated here) to get us to Normal T/Snow.      We are at 7.5" snow as Jan. ends----already 7.5" BN and now add 9" for Feb. itself and we need to see 16"/17" during Feb.

62.       +090          +1.5                  -3.2

63.       +073          +1.2                  -2.7

64.       +065         +1.0                   -2.5

65.       +075         +1.2.                  -3.0

66.       +092.        +1.4.                  -3.8

67.       +109         +1.6                   -4.7

68.       +116         +1.7                   -5.3

69.       +128         +1.9                   -6.1

70.       +138         +2.0                   -6.9       Next 3 weeks need to be about 7degs.  BN to get us to Normal for DJF.

Normal isn’t happening without a massive reversal. A pattern that dumps snow on Seattle will always be horrendous here. Maybe the MJO can finally settle into phase 8-1, but time is running short to make something happen. This winter has been much harder into Nina type patterns than the last few actual Nina’s that were actually good here, and this is actually a Nino, which shows since DC and Richmond into the Carolinas had some good winter storms. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

What a crap winter this has been. Even the terrible 80's years had offered up more snow to date than this year has over here. After 3" on Nov. 15th, I have a grand total of 3.5" for the season to date. Totally overdue though, after the run of years over the last decade plus. 

True.  But this is they type of storm we used to get in the 80’s on LI.  1, maybe 2 inches before it gets washed away.   Counts in the total but hard to enjoy

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

What a crap winter this has been. Even the terrible 80's years had offered up more snow to date than this year has over here. After 3" on Nov. 15th, I have a grand total of 3.5" for the season to date. Totally overdue though, after the run of years over the last decade plus. 

Worst winter I've ever experienced, it's been an abomination. Everything that could go wrong did, and I can't wait till it's over. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Oh yeah, I remember it all too well. Those were the days of doing backflips for a 3-6" event. 

How rare those days were!!!

the frequency of these monster storms is really unbelievable—something we never could have dreamed of in the 80’s.  Storms always had their jackpots “north and west” 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

Worst winter I've ever experienced, it's been an abomination. Everything that could go wrong did, and I can't wait till it's over. 

it's the first time in awhile we've had above normal temps for the winter and below normal snow.....we lucked out with some well timed storms the last few years (which have been even warmer)

4 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

Have to agree especially in our backyard.   At least this year you can look to our north, west, and to some extent south and see wintry weather.     We've had some years where it feels like winter  is on hiatus nationally, that hasnt really been the case this year.   Bad luck in a sense..

seasonal.PNG

What made it stink even more was the hype given the potential we had going in, according to the likes of JB, who is still praying for a big one and along with the single digit readings---will hail his forecast to be right.     Overall, his forecast is a shambles.

6 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

What made it stink even more was the hype given the potential we had going in, according to the likes of JB, who is still praying for a big one and along with the single digit readings---will hail his forecast to be right.     Overall, his forecast is a shambles.

he'll bust on temps here no matter what.   (Dec +3, Jan average, Feb is +3.5 so far)   Snowfall could still workout since it's first flake to last flake.     He says it's coming by the way...just 10 more days of waiting....

2 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

he'll bust on temps here no matter what.   (Dec +3, Jan average, Feb is +3.5 so far)   Snowfall could still workout since it's first flake to last flake.     He says it's coming by the way...just 10 more days of waiting....

I'm still waiting for the global cooling that he's been promising for years. 

Oh and our 1938 hurricane redux. 

On 2/11/2019 at 7:26 AM, SnoSki14 said:

I assume you're young, because that's melodramatic. It's not fun, wait until there's four or five of these in succession. That's when it wears on you. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 7:15 AM, EasternLI said:

Oh yeah, I remember it all too well. Those were the days of doing backflips for a 3-6" event. 

Going back through the records, a 12+ inch event was supposed to be a once in a decade anomaly before the 2000s

Getting all snow events on the south shore and east end of 6"+ has historically also been rare- before the 2000s lol.

• Like 1