Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Meteorological Winter 2018 Banter

doncat

10 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Do you guys realize it’s January and your talking about this winter in the past tense? I get it, I’m more frustrated as anyone as you guys who are regulars know. But we still have more then half of our snow climo left. 

I will agree on one thing, if we do not see a turn around and we end up below average snow it will be damaging to long range forecasters. 

I just do not see how it’s even possible we make it through the rest of the winter without at least one advisory level event. Even 97/98 managed to pull it off and that was light years more hostile for snow then this winter 

One advisory level will take us to 11-12 type dud-that's why people are talking about it in the past tense.   LOL.    In all seriousness-the ship has sailed on any long lasting snow cover or big wintry period.   Looks mainly snowless next 7-10 days as well...   Hoping we can get a MECS or HECS to salvage it....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Do you guys realize it’s January and your talking about this winter in the past tense? I get it, I’m more frustrated as anyone as you guys who are regulars know. But we still have more then half of our snow climo left. 

I will agree on one thing, if we do not see a turn around and we end up below average snow it will be damaging to long range forecasters. 

I just do not see how it’s even possible we make it through the rest of the winter without at least one advisory level event. Even 97/98 managed to pull it off and that was light years more hostile for snow then this winter 

Not everyone had an advisory event in 98. We had but a dusting in March out here. It's the tail end of Jan. While 2015 stands out, in my 56 years, when it hasn't done much by Feb 1st, it tends to stay that way. Hopefully this won't be the case. As for March, meh. If it snows it won't last, if it's under about 7 inches you don't need to bother shoveling. Sometimes it melts  off driveways and streets by the end of the storm. 

2 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

One advisory level will take us to 11-12 type dud-that's why people are talking about it in the past tense.   LOL.    In all seriousness-the ship has sailed on any long lasting snow cover or big wintry period.   Looks mainly snowless next 7-10 days as well...   Hoping we can get a MECS or HECS to salvage it....

Yeah when the heart of the second half is going to lose some days to a warmup, you really are looking at something having to come together in a brief window. 

4 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Still not boring.

It's boring. Cold rain, heck even not so cold rain, followed by some cold temps. Maybe you don't suffer from winter skin rashes but I certainly do; the went away for the warm period we had in Dec. Soon as it got cold, it comes right back. The best thing that can happen right now is an early spring. We can start looking forward to next winter then. And I'll never buy a snowblower again if it snows in OCt or Nov, because in my lifetime that has meant a fairly snowless winter ( al 4 of them lol ).

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

actually it not being hostile to snow makes the winter worse, there's been money sucking cold dry air like there was in the 80s, winters like these are why people hated the 80s so much.

• Confused 1

On 1/29/2019 at 6:57 PM, bluewave said:

Seems like Stella in March 2017 opened the door for more interior jackpots. The coast really ran the table from 12-13 to Feb 17. Since then, it has been more of a duel between interior vs coastal sections for the heaviest snowfall accumulations.

But 13-14 was more of an interior winter.  Last winter was actually really good for the coast.  That Jan blizzard was the best since 2016.  March was more of an inland month until the end of the month and early April.

• Confused 1

On 1/30/2019 at 12:08 AM, David-LI said:

The midwest will always be bullseye for very cold weather. You are wrong in believing that such cold air masses never hit the northeast. We are about to get hit really hard with the PV. 

yes, cold weather generally favors inland areas far away from any oceans.  If you like extreme cold thats where you want to be, not near the water.

17 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

Fair point, but what's gone on in the past 20 years is not typical here...

this winter isn't either, I'm not sure there is a "mean"- if you look at the late 1800s and early 1900s NYC had five straight decades where they averaged over 30 inches of snow- how do we know thats not the "mean"?

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Warming up my towel to throw for winter. Depending where we are this time next week it may be time to toss.

I felt that way after the Nov storm based on experience LOL, but even I thought that was pure superstition. As nothing happened in Dec and then into Jan, I thought well, here we go, we were due for this. I kept hope alive from reading here, but I'm not seeing anything encouraging. Nothing to track but cold rain, noting popping up here or there, just an all around bad vibe. And wasted cold. I do not care for these arctic shots at all. They hurt.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

It's boring. Cold rain, heck even not so cold rain, followed by some cold temps. Maybe you don't suffer from winter skin rashes but I certainly do; the went away for the warm period we had in Dec. Soon as it got cold, it comes right back. The best thing that can happen right now is an early spring. We can start looking forward to next winter then. And I'll never buy a snowblower again if it snows in OCt or Nov, because in my lifetime that has meant a fairly snowless winter ( al 4 of them lol ).

My wish for you is a little sunshine in your life.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

I felt that way after the Nov storm based on experience LOL, but even I thought that was pure superstition. As nothing happened in Dec and then into Jan, I thought well, here we go, we were due for this. I kept hope alive from reading here, but I'm not seeing anything encouraging. Nothing to track but cold rain, noting popping up here or there, just an all around bad vibe. And wasted cold. I do not care for these arctic shots at all. They hurt.

I joked in November "wouldn't that be something if the 11/15 storm was the biggest of the season"?   Not joking anymore...